Why Bother? (Prime RID Difficulty Rating)

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Reaper Cloud, Oct 7, 2012.

1. Reaper Cloud

Reaper Cloud Dark Wrecker

News Credits:
    I was just thinking about this...you know the difficulty rating shown on each package for Prime RID (and Cyberverse) figures? Why do they bother to have these, when they are basically the same!

I went through the Cyberverse Legion/Commander figures, and every one of them is Easy, Level 1. Prime RID Deluxe figures are all Intermediate, Level 2...WITH the exception of Airachind, who is Easy, Level 1. I think her rating should be Crap, Level Infinity. Even the Prime RID Voyagers have the same rating as the Deluxe figures, which is weird since they are more complex to transform (Megatron especially). Hell, even the Deluxe Megatron can be a pain.

So am I just being bored today and ranting about something nonsensical? I could easily give these figures different levels of difficulty, since some are in fact easy, while others are average...and a few are difficult (or annoying I should say, which makes it difficult). Or am I so casual of a Transformers fan that you hardcore collectors can do these transformations in your sleep? lol

2. strangeguy32000

strangeguy32000 Well-Known Member

what.

3. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    It's marketing. Bandai did the same thing with Gundam models in the US, putting "levels" on them, which resulted in a lot of confusion when talking to newer fans online, who instead of specifying grade or scale, they'd sometimes give a level number instead. One person even asked me what level my PG Zeta was. I had no answer.

Some kids will get really excited when they see a high difficulty rating on a transformer, and want it JUST because of that high number.

It also helps parents picking out transformers for younger kids.

4. LadyStarscream

LadyStarscream Queen of Cybertron

Those levels mean nothing to me. I honestly have a hard time transforming most of the newer TFs unless it's a Legion or something. I have a hard time following the instructions, they don't make sense to me. I usually end up looking at the picture on the back of the package and trying to figure it out on my own, most times I get frustrated! :lol 

5. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    Sounds like me transforming GDO Brawl last night. I was sure I could figure it out on my own, and I damn near did...but not quite. Even looking at the picture on the package didn't help and I had to use the instructions (which are always confusing).

I really don't go by the so-called "difficulty level" too much. After, all WfC Prime and Bumblee were rated intermediate I think and those had me stumped for about a half-hour each...

6. strangeguy32000

strangeguy32000 Well-Known Member

So the problem here is the Transfomation complexity rating on the toys?
    Who even pays attention to that anymore?

7. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    For the longest time since they first added 'difficulty levels' to the packaging, it used to only be a reliable indicator of the size class of the toy (bigger = tougher, apparently). At least nowadays they occasionally deviate on unusually complex or simple toys.

8. bignick1693

bignick1693 Maximal

News Credits:
    IMO the only time the rating mattered was in the rotf and Hftd toy line. Why? They had some crazy transformations with some toys.

9. Reaper Cloud

Reaper Cloud Dark Wrecker

News Credits:
    I'm glad that I am not the only one who struggles with some of the figures...even with videos to show my dumb ass how to transform them. lol

Since I don't have anything before the current Prime line...I wasn't sure if this rating thing existed in the past. I don't remember if any G1 figures were rated on their difficulty either.

10. wildfly

wildfly Right notes. Wrong order.

News Credits:
    The difficulty rating has been around for years, and they've incremented it based on price point rather than complexity for almost as long.

Different subject?

11. cliffjumperftw1

cliffjumperftw1 I have no idea what I'm doing.

I usually don't have any problems transforming any of my figs. Except for WFC bumblebee... :|

12. Maverick Hunter Christian

Maverick Hunter Christian Choke on that, causality!

News Credits:
    Its all marketing. The conversion difficulty rating is supposed to quickly communicate to the buyer; ideally, a parent buying for their child, how easy or difficult a figure will be to convert from one form to the other and enable them to make more informed purchasing decisions based on what they think their child can handle.

In practice, I doubt many even take notice with how cluttered Transformers packaging tends to be.

Lately, the descriptors, "Easy", "Intermediate" etc. have been broken up by size class. As observed, all Cyberverse are easy. Deluxes and Voyagers are intermediate, to be used in conjunction with the "1-2-3" scale directly noted underneath, as not all figures within a size class will have the same difficulty of conversion.

13. gawddammit

gawddammit Rocketchoochoo

News Credits:
    There was difficulty ratings as far back as Beast Wars, maybe G2. The earliest I remember is Beast Wars, though.

14. xMostWanted559x

xMostWanted559x Well-Known Member

Likewise the instructions are terrible and usually I use YouTube.

15. rodimusconvoy

rodimusconvoy Well-Known Member

I figured FE Prime and Bulkhead with no instructions.

16. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The "Difficulty Rating" has rarely, if ever, had any connection whatsoever to reality.

17. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    Prime toys are way easier than DOTM or ROTF ones Leader Sentinel Prime is so insanely finicky that there must be thousands that never make it into truck mode at all.

Isn't help that the instructions are sometimes dangerously wrong and if you followed them you'd break the toy.

And some people seemed to think their DOTM deluxes were faulty as the weapons didn't lock into the open position.

The problem the last couple of years is the excess of tabs and notches that make it hard to line things up - or parts that lack the proper clearance (I.e. the ROTF twins) or that don't secure properly making you not sure if you've got it right or not - i.e.. Knockout.

Sometimes the Prime line remindes me of TM2 as it's a line that seems like those making it are learning how to do it still (which if they are former workers at Tomy who used to make train sets and zoids might explain the likes of Airachnid and Unicron.

18. Prime Jetscream

Prime Jetscream The Ultimate Golden Gamer

News Credits:
    They're all based on class.
    Notice all the Deluxes and I think Voyagers say 2, and I'm not sure about the Leaders, but the Cyberverses say 1.

19. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    i know the rating system goes back to at least the old RID toyline, but it might go back even further

20. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    Yeah. I'm slowing down because of the higher prices and lower quality and smaller figures. Seeing a lot more Bot Shots and Cyberverse figures is just sad too. I'll be focusing on 3rd party and whatever US Masterpieces come out. I can't even bring myself to customize the new figures.