Why bash 20th DVD Optimus???

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Chrackalakis, Jan 29, 2011.

1. Chrackalakis

Chrackalakis Astrotrain Engineer

Just wondering why so many do??? I know why as in the "cons" everybody points out when discussing the MP Prime versions, but I have to say my DVD Prime is superior to the MP-04 I had and sold.

Few points:
    1. I've had the DVD OP for a year now and fiddle w/transform as regularly as the MP-04 I had. The MP-04 had started to show a couple paint chips on the legs, and the infamous chest misalignment. The DVD has no chips and the chest is perfectly aligned.

2. The MP-04 cost me $199 + shipping, the DVD $75 MISB shipped.

3. Accuracy: My wife (who could care less about TF's) said she thought the DVD Prime looked more like the "cartoon", and I think she's right as the red is spot on to the cartoon.

Maybe it's because my collection is mostly made up of CHUG without the "H", but I could care less about chrome lately, especially if it means I save $$$. To be honest I would buy the repro stacks in the same flat grey in a heart beat. I honestly think the only thing that would improve this version is the igear head I have pre-ordered...

Anyway just a newb's :2c: 

2. AutoBobby

AutoBobby The Collector

I've got that Prime also,and he is awesome.One of my favorite figures.No complaints from me.

3. Tiller

Tiller I don't know nothin'

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I bought the Hasbro Masterpiece.

The Die-cast gives the figure much more heft and girth. The deco is much better than the colors on the 20th (the gun is actually black, there is blinging chrome, reflective eyes, painted headlights, the battle damage, etc).

I thought the 20th felt too flimsy when handling a friends.

4. Dran0n

Dran0n Junk male

News Credits:
    wut

Aren't they all the same figure? The same plastic density?

5. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

I just preferred MP04 because the trailer helped complete him.

6. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

More heft and girth than what? They've all got the exact same parts in die-cast metal. For the record, mine's the original 20th Anniversary Convoy.
    Pretty sure they are, yes.

7. Dran0n

Dran0n Junk male

News Credits:
    Yeah, they all have die-cast, silly goose!

8. PowermasterJazz

PowermasterJazz Well-Known Member

I bought the first Hasbro MP Prime after the Takara version fell apart on me after normal transformations. The Hasbro version is still in great shape, maybe just a minor paint scrape or two.

9. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    I have the Wal Mart MP Optimus. Excellence defined. I have no idea why anyone would knock it.

10. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    It's mostly the colors. The DVD version had some odd deco choices - extra yellow, the really bright red, the blue gun, no chrome - that a lot of people found inferior to other releases.

Personally I have the original 20th Anniversary version, the one with the short smokestacks and battle damage. I really like that one.

11. Cliffbee

Cliffbee Well-Known Member

I own and love both Hasbro MP Optimus Primes. I'd like a trailer, but its non-trailer mode, like G1's, looks dumb, so the trailer isn't worth the extra money.

12. G1_Cindersaur

G1_Cindersaur Banned

News Credits:
    mine never wanted to stay standing upright on the shelf...he would eventually lean forward and shelf dive like a jumper on a hi-rise building :p 

eventually i sold him off since i started to collect mainly decepticons and preds...never hated him ...just did not think he needed to stay in my collection anymore.

13. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    I must be really out of touch. When did "CHUG" become commonplace in TF fandom vernacular? I do not like this.

14. ectoneon

ectoneon Well-Known Member

I have both Hasbro versions, and I far preferred the so called "anime colors". I really like the way it looks. But then, I never really needed chrome to be happy.

15. Me Grimlock

Me Grimlock Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I have the 20th DVD and I love it, but I've recently been wanting a trailer for it. I don't know why I didn't get the mp-04 re-release for $200, I could have at the very least sold the prime and kept the trailer. Even the justitoys is ridiculously expensive and who knows if igears will get released. All collectors live and learn I suppose...

16. 46+2

46+2 Well-Known Member

You know what, he looks good, but he fell over for me everytime I bought him. I bought him 4 times and this was the case evrytime. Just too heavy for those ball joints I guess.

17. Waverider

Waverider Supreme Dude TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It never was. It's just a few that uses it.

Back to subject. I have both Hasbro's anniversary Prime and like them both. But I also have MP-04 and put that miles ahead of Hasbro's offering.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2011
  18. GrimlockAutobot

GrimlockAutobot Me No Bozo Me King!!

News Credits:
    I had both Hasbro MP Primes (20th Anniversary and 20th DVD). I sold the DVD version because after seeing them both side-by-side the DVD version was extremely inferior.

The DVD version's lack of chrome stacks, grille, fuel tanks, and eyes and his orangy instead of red color is what led to him being sold.

I kept his base for my original Hasbro 20th Anniversary battle-damaged version though.

19. ComicGuy89

ComicGuy89 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I only have the 20th DVD version, but I chose him because of the colors, I felt the flat colors and overall look were more reminiscent of how he looked in G1 (especially the eyes!), not to mention that he was much cheaper. Bear in mind though, that I am not a fan of chrome and will actively go out to avoid it, so this is a biased point of view.

20. Tiller

Tiller I don't know nothin'

News Credits:
    Ebay:

I herped. And then Derped. I was thinking about something else being compared with the Hasbro Masterpiece. I think I meant to say something more about the chrome but that came out wrong. I realized they both had die-cast.

I really don't know what I was saying XD.