Why aren't the DOTM voyagers as good as BB Optimus Prime?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Fifam94, Dec 9, 2011.

1. Fifam94

Fifam94 GO AIR FORCE

Why was there such a drastic drop in awesomeness from the Voyager prime in the HFTD line to all the Voyagers in the DOTM line? I think that BB Optimus represents the Pinnacle of any voyager Hasbro/Tak has ever made. Period. So why aren't the DOTM toys engineered as well as he was?

2. havanowoncheese

havanowoncheese Proud No Ma'amer!

I actually think Shockwave and Megatron are engineered quite well. They are simpler to transform but that does not mean they are not engineered as well. Plus i feel that it is unfair to compare these to not just HFTD most intricately engineered figure but easily one of the most intricate voyagers in some time. HFTD BB Optimus Prime is honestly in a league of its own because it is a scaled down version of the best movie leader ever. Keep in mind ROTF Leader Prime is damn near MP level of engineering.

3. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh Mostly Harmless

News Credits:
    What? Most of the DOTM Voyagers are solid, very well designed figures with creative transformations. Just look at how Skyhammer or Megatron transform, and how they fold parts and compress to essentially become kibble-less in robot mode (this kind of folding and compressing is what I consider to be DOTM's big contribution to future TF figures). Shockwave is amazing but I'll be excluding him because of the made-up altmode, yet he still has an interesting transformation. Ironhide may have weird arms, but has a very well done transformation and the best leg design in the line.

I agree that BB Prime is an excellent voyager, but he's far from perfect.

4. wolfe

wolfe Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Definitely a matter of opinion. Like a poster above said shockwave and megatron are great pieces to some.

5. Ratchets Hatch

Ratchets Hatch Cannot Hold Weapon

News Credits:
    I don't know, I have him and he's pretty close to perfect in my book. Just saying.

6. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    I think that Optimus Prime is actually pretty "meh". his knees bend inward no matter what you do, his legs are extremely skinny, the gold plastic looks awful, and he's made of absolutely terrible quality plastic.

The only DOTM voyager I own that I dislike is Optimus Prime. Shockwave, Megatron, and Skyhammer are awesome. All much better than that Battle Blades Optimus Prime.

7. Arkitect76

Arkitect76 Fanaticon

News Credits:
    Yeah, I dont know where that thought came from...some Voyagers in the DOTM line are pretty good...I was amazed with Skyhammer....

8. Surge

Surge Village Dolt

News Credits:
    Shockwave and Megatron look pretty damn good. I'll be getting Megs on Christmas. I also own voyager DOTM Ironhide and can't see what all the fuss is about. There's a way to correct the legs so he's not so tall. And sure, he has T-Rex arms, but he still looks cool with Mechtech weapons attached to the forearms. Cool transformation as well IMO. My only complaint about the truck mode, is that he doesn't have the 4x4 on the sides.

9. Kaiwera05

Kaiwera05 Soundwave Enthusiast

Ebay:
    Am I the only fan of Bellbottimus Prime? Sure he's not screen accurate, but he's a fun toy nonetheless.

10. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    I'd like him more if his standing position with his legs straight wasn't either staring up at the sky, or looking down. When a figure can't stand straight and look forward, it's a deal breaker for me.

11. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    You mean the Voyager DOTM Optimus? He's actually is a fun toy if you accept him for who he is. Sure he's not perfect but he's not the worst kind either.

12. Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus Old School Snarkster

News Credits:
    Something I was saying repeatedly earlier in the year was, yeah, Battle Blades Prime (and even Bumblebee) probably ARE the pinnacle of what Hasbro/Takara are capable of at the price range with these designs...
    so why do we need them reworked?

I don't view the DotM Voyagers as any "less good" than prior lines, just a very different focus of design.
    By the time DotM rolled around, pretty much all of the key characters had gotten multiple toys, in multiple pricepoints, and during RotF in particular, had reached a point where Hasbro and Takara were hitting a glass ceiling with what they could do with the designs while still keeping within their various retail/marketing compromises. Especially with Optimus and Bumblebee (whose Battle Blade versions are probably the best they'll get for those price points).

DotM seemed to shift from older kids and collectors to a younger audience, and put the resources into making the line much more accessible and the Mechtech feature. Remember, a 6 year old this year would have been only 4 during RotF, and 2 during TF1. We see this every few years where Hasbro "refocuses" on a new generation of kids, be it during Armada, or Classics, or Animated.

13. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I go back and forth (I have Fireburst, got him for the axe). His truck mode has very well-placed MechTech ports. His robot mode...not as much. His legs are just slightly too long, but the character has long legs. The chest cheat is not quite as bad as on the movie 1 Voyager. And he's fun to pose, though the arms are annoying.

14. JackHammer

JackHammer Me, no, I would never

I dont really like BB Prime at all

15. Ratchets Hatch

Ratchets Hatch Cannot Hold Weapon

News Credits:
    That's strange, because mine has never had the knee problem and I've never noticed any sort of flaw in the plastic. As for the gold, I personally don't mind it.

But hey, to each his own.

16. [Wing_Saber-X]

[Wing_Saber-X] Fortress Maximus!

News Credits:
    ^this. Skyhammer is my fave, save for his terribly limited and awkward leg design.