Why Are Transformers' Sparks Inside Their Hearts?

Discussion in 'Transformers Robots In Disguise / Prime Discussion' started by Spunky, Jan 1, 2012.

1. Spunky

Spunky Well-Known Member

How do Transformers circulatory systems work in TFP? It appears that they have a heart. But inside their heart is their spark. Now why would their sparks be inside their beating hearts? Bulkhead stated that their lifeforce is composed of Energon. So I am wondering if their sparks are made out of Energon. Perhaps their sparks are in their hearts because Energon has to be pumped into their sparks constantly to replenish their energy? In other words, do their sparks lose energy regularly?

2. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    Is the spark not the heart? Is it not what distributes energon throughout the body to power it?

3. SuperJazz

SuperJazz Dictator of my Dimension

I'm pretty sure the spark is their heart, and the spark pumps energon thought their bodies like our hearts pump blood.

And they use the same term to describe what can be described as a soul. Arcee made a reference to it in the beginning of "Partners".

4. Spunky

Spunky Well-Known Member

Interesting. Unicron is not a Cybertronian, but I thought physically he functioned similarly. However, when they showed his spark, it didn't appear to be beating or pumping blood even through the Bots and Cons detected his heartbeat. I thought Ratchet said, in reference to Unicron's heart, that he was hearing a spark.

5. VaderPrime1

VaderPrime1 Prepare for termination!

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    You don't see a firetruck pumping when it's pumping water, it appears the same whether the pump is off or on because the pump is inside. Maybe that's the same thing with Unicron: what we saw was a casing and all the pumping mechanics are done inside?

6. soundwaverulls

soundwaverulls Well-Known Member

I always thought the spark was their physical soul.

7. Spunky

Spunky Well-Known Member

I wonder why a TF even needs a spark. We don't have or need one and yet we are alive.

8. Spunky

Spunky Well-Known Member

If the spark is the heart, shouldn't you see it expanding and contracting with Energon entering and exiting it? Unicron's spark wasn't doing that. It was just a constant ball of energy.

9. Chopperface

Chopperface Holtzmanned

News Credits:
    Spunky, keep in mind that Unicron transcended physical form. He doesn't need his Dark Energon to be flowing from his Spark to the rest of his body. He doesn't even have one; the Earth's core we see in Part 3 was what his body was when he was a physical being.

All Cybertronians have a Spark, however, apparently regardless of their state of being. Really, all Unicron's body did was house and protect his Spark for eons. His body was simply reanimated to better shield it against Prime and his Matrix; hence why the Antiibodies attacked, and we see Dark Energon flowing through the various parts of Unicron's body.

10. TylerMirage

TylerMirage I vawnt my berdt.

News Credits:
    For me, it's sort of both of these. My understanding of a spark is that it is: the physical heart - supplying the body with essential power (destroy it, the character dies), the brain - keeping memories and such, the intangible soul - the very essence of who that character is (their spark joins Primus and the AllSpark, etc.).

As for where it is located, I like to think that it is in the center(ish) of their body, much like a heart. However, it could reside else where I suppose. For example, Rhinox had a hole blown right through his chest in an episode of BW, yet his spark chamber wasn't visible, nor was Rhinox going into near-death convulsions.

We're also not fictional, massive-@$$ alien robots that transform into other objects that come from an alien world. :lol  That's probably why we don't need a spark.

11. SuperJazz

SuperJazz Dictator of my Dimension

Thank you.
    Simply put:

spark= their heart and soul

And is not required for us to live because we are not Cybertronians, which are autonomous robotic organisms from Cybertron.

12. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    Just because you don't see it pumping doesn't mean it isn't. They're also incredibly complex.

13. boxorak

boxorak Lovable Noob

We also don't have a god that transforms into the planet we live on.

14. Spunky

Spunky Well-Known Member

Ok, then why does he have a heart beat? Obviously his spark was pumping Energon. I am just wondering if the animators forgot to animate that or thought it would be cooler if they just showed his spark doing nothing.

15. MaxxieOD

MaxxieOD Jazz is my homebot

News Credits:
    Tyler hit it on the head for me, as this is always what I thought of when it came to their sparks. Also, Cheetor's spark was in his leg when he went transmetal 2, so yeah, not always in the chest.

16. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    I've always thought the Spark was the core conciousness, the soul if you will, and that the heart of the robot was their fuel pump. It's not nearly as frequently mentioned, and it's never really been touched on, but I'm sure somewhere there was a line like "cold oil flows through that fuel pump".

Different series of course, but I always thought the Spark was the soul, and the fuel pump the heart.

To get back to the original question, it is possible that to properly maintain and regulate a Spark's life functions, it is located within or close to the fuel pump, so if the rest of their body were damaged, fuel would keep on pumping.

17. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    I look at their sparks as souls because not only that they help with the Cybertronian organs but in a way it also makes more sense with the good and evil aspect of the show. The Transformers are in a way a very spiritual race with strong mythological and spirital awarness.

18. Saberfrost01

Saberfrost01 元ロボ ダイユーシャ

The OP raises an interesting theory. but Alas it is somthing not even I can come up with a solution to. :( 

19. AtypicalTaurus

AtypicalTaurus A Real Bone Crusher

Expanding and contracting of the human heart is achieved because our hearts, like those of most other flesh-based organisms, are comprised of muscle tissue that is dependent on certain chemicals to achieve that contraction.

It wouldn't necessarily have to be the same for Unicron because he's not made of the same stuff that we are. Robotic organisms may not pulsate the same way simply because their material is different. You can flush air or fluid at high pressure through metal piping and not see a contraction, yet there is still energy and physical matter being transferred.

Just sayin'. It's not impossible.

20. Karhukjnsi

Karhukjnsi Universal Wrestler

News Credits:
    If it works similarly to Earthen hearts, then yes if only because we're continuously pumping blood in and out, and the out means it's "losing energy".

Like how we do with phrases like "I can feel it in my heart" in relation to certain things spiritual or emotional.

It was a sort of heartbeat, kind of, Ratchet and Soundwave both noticed the rising and descending patterns of specific plates throughout the planet, they then decided to convert the pattern into an audio file, it seems they both chose something with bass to get the image across of a heartbeat. For all we know, those plate movements could've been caused from Unicron's shoulders and knees wiggling.

This sounds reasonable.

We also have hair, they have built-in projectile weaponry, we have a pelvic splanchnic ganglion, they can shift their mass into the shape of our automobiles. They're an alien species, in a fictional show (seemingly, anyway).

Maybe that's all it takes for a species of autonomous robotic organisms, they are incredibly complex and advanced in relation to their evolutionary path, which we likely may not even be heading in the same direction (doesn't necessarily make us inferior, but the difference is like land animals to deep oceanic ones).

Or do we...Xiuhtecuhtli, is that you?

Again, the heart "beat" was both Ratchet and Soundwave detecting the pattern of rising and falling plates then converting the data into an audiofile for effect.

What she said.