Why are transformers shows always directed at kids?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by LordShockwave, Sep 27, 2011.

1. LordShockwave

LordShockwave Harold of Power.

News Credits:
    as an olderish lover of transformers why can't there be a tv show aimed at a older audience with more dark themes from the decepticons and just make it more adult like the movies (not in a crude humor way). I know transformers prime is trying its hardest to be alittle bit more mature but is on the HUB network so it still has to have kid friendly themes. what I'm wondering is why can't they're be a more mature transformers series that doesnt have to be too dark for kids or something, If you guys know what i mean.

2. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Hammer of the Gunplas

Hmmm, let's think for a moment. Who are Transformers aimed at? Kids. What are the shows at the very least supposed to do? Sell toys.

That is why TF's will always be aimed more towards the younger generations, as they're the primary audience, the target group as to who the toys will be sold to.

3. LordShockwave

News Credits:
    well hasbro knows that older people buy the toys too. What im saying is why can't there be a mature show aswell as a kids show? it would boost hasbros profits

4. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Probably to sell the already established and popular toys.

And what exactly is wrong with Prime? Sure, a part of its target audience is aimed at kids, but the tones and level of thoroughness of the plot can be enjoyable to teens and adults. Not to mention they made it apart of a continuity family that started as a T rated video game.

Do you really think having two different shows would boost profits? It's not like they can magically make a new adult show and air it simultaneously as the younger targeted one and not use up more resources than necessary.

5. LordShockwave

News Credits:
    i never said thers anything wrong with prime. I love prime! ive just been itching for a dark transformers series. idk it would just be something different.

6. Kaymac

Kaymac I'M REALLY FEELIN' IT!

The comics are mostly aimed at the adult audience, so maybe try reading a few of them. As for why TV shows are never aimed at adults? It's a toy franchise, and while it may have a mature fanbase, it's not nearly a big enough segment of the buying market to be worth it for Hasbro to create an all new, separate cartoon for us. Also, an overly mature Transformers series may come off like it's trying too hard to be mature, and fall flat, almost like the movies and their over-the-top violence.

7. Autobot Burnout

The last time we had a "dark" Transformers series was IIRC The Keepers Trilogy, and honestly it wasn't all that great outside of Starscream meeting a priest. VERY heavy handed with all the human gore and a lot of the factual stuff is debateable.

I know "Hardwired" is still lurking around somewhere in my closet, too...

8. UltraMagnus3786

UltraMagnus3786 That's what it is

I don't know too much about it, but wasn't GI Joe Resolute aimed at an adult audience?

Picking up on what a lot of you have said already, TF is-- for better or worse-- a toy franchise first. In that respect, it is unlike the DC/Marvel universes whose characters have been established for decades. Warner Bros. backs a lot of DC material, while Disney owns the Marvel stuff. With such powerhouse studios behind them, it's easy to crank out one-off movies aimed at adults. Hasbro doesn't have that yet. If the Hub does really well and Hasbro movies continue to do very well, maybe they'll get their own studio. But until then, most TF media (with the exception of the comics) will be to get kids to buy toys.

9. Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname Pico, let's go up to Zuma

News Credits:
    Beast Machines was fairly dark for a TF show. Megatron had complete control over Cybertron and the heroes were on the run the whole time.

Seeing the lack of other mature 'war' shows implies those types of shows don't work well.
    Yep, though it was only 10 or so shorts, not a full cartoon.

10. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Did the OP really ask that question!?!

A TF show aimed at adults would fail. Why do so many people really believe there are that many adult TF fans? Websites like this obviously skewer things but in the "real world" child fans still outnumber us significantly.

I will be sad if it was ever the other way round. Knowing how much I loved TF when I was young, I want other children to always have that excitement!

And as somebody else said, if the toys mostly sell to kids and the shows are there to sell the toys... well, there's your answer.

11. DPrime

DPrime Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    It'd be nice to have both. Or at least, a show that could appeal to both, a little better.

The movies were definitely aimed at adults, what with all the violence and sexual themes, but kids still seemed to love them.

12. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

To my mind, Beast Machines is a show for adults. There is some dark shit going on in there, and the character models are so far removed from the actual toyline for that series, that you could hardly say that its main purpose was to sell toys.
    Ignore the fact that opinion is so split on BM in terms of the use of characters etc in relation to Beast Wars, but surely we can all recognise that a great many of the themes and situations are clearly not meant for very young children.

13. Maximo Prime

Maximo Prime Bassist of Ill Repute

Ebay:
    Agreed, Auto Morph.

OP you are used to seeing other adult-themed cartoons, and you wish that TF would do that. the difference is those other cartoons aren't usually trying to sell toys... TF fans that are kids outnumber us...we make up 2-5% of the market share.. an adult show would not boost profits... why would you even say that? How do you know? No offense. It's one thing to say "why wouldn't they do that, I'd really like it" versus "why wouldn't they do that, it'd boost profits"...

14. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think Prime is exactly where I want it to be as an adult, as long as it tones down Miko a little bit. My kid likes it and I like it. Characters die, death is acknowledged, and there is enough Lore to keep it from being shallow robot vs robot action, especially with what's happening now.

15. Greyley

Greyley Well-Known Member

Back in the 90s, some friendly Hasbro executive described adult toy collectors as "the pimple on the elephant's butt".

16. DPrime

DPrime Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    But now there are whole toy companies devoted to adult collectors. Even Mattel's joining in (with MOTUC and other lines on Mattycollector.com), so there must be something more to be had there.

The sad thing is, other companies have been able to produce cartoons that pretty effectively target kids, but are not so insipid and childish that they can't be enjoyed by adults, too. Hasbro's always seemed to have had problems achieving this balance. Admittedly, they do succeed sometimes, but then they just go and rehash the entire line and start from scratch again...

17. Autobot Burnout

Except those lines aren't as large as the main Transformers franchise. Those releases are spread out a few months apart and aren't sold in as large a quantity as Transformers.

Besides, the LAST time Hasbro tried collector-focused lines were the Titaniums and the Alternators. Titaniums had their own set of problems, but Alternators was truthfully a failure because the collector market simply did not form a big enough part of the sales of the TF franchise as a whole to make it viable.

Right now the closest thing we have to a collector-oriented line is Masterpiece, which is decent considering what we get from each figure in that line and how there's only like one or two new MP's every year.

Well, from what I've heard, Hasbro IS trying to fix that by becoming both an entertainment corporation as well as a toy company.

And as for the whole starting over thing, the idea is that the original target audience has started to grow up and possibly move past the toys, so Hasbro wants to try and attract a new generation, thus the continuity reboot.

18. Lord_Starscream

Lord_Starscream Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I dunno , I think the whole 50 to 70 percent of an episode being from the kids point of view is the part that bothers me .
    You dont always need kids in a cartoon to get kids attention . Kids dont need to relate to the show by seeing other kids , its a show about giant Transforming robots it sells itself .

19. Secretcode

Secretcode Keeper of Encarta Veteran

News Credits:
    YouTube:
    It's not like they've never done that before, or anything.

I honestly think some of you are putting too much thought into this. It's a brand for children, and adult fans are still but a fraction of the audience in the grand scheme of things. We're far from the primary market, and the life blood of the franchise as well as what will keep this franchise running are the children. Sure Hasbro could make a show aimed more toward adults, but the risk of losing the children is too large for them to go all G.I. Joe Resolute on us. Enjoy what you have. Don't like it? Don't watch it. You always have the comics, as well as past Transformers shows.

20. Lord_Starscream

Lord_Starscream Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Hey dont get me wrong I like the shows and watch them.
    I am not asking for a adult theme show , just remove the kids point of view .

Maybe this time try like a NEST team for a human connection .
    Since RID we get this over focused point of view , its been done for the past 6 Transformers cartoons . Try something new !!