Why Are they calling this movie Transformers???????

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by The-Return2005, Aug 24, 2006.

1. The-Return2005

The-Return2005 The last Sayian on Earth

From what i've seen so far it has very little to do with hasbro's "Transformers". It seems like they're making a movie about transforming robot skeletons and stealing names from the origional series/toyline. I dont understand why they're using the names and characteristics of the G1 characters if they're changing them so drasticly and not for the better. I keep hearing about how its not G1! but if its not G1 then why are they stealing names/concepts from G1? If they dont want to make a G1 movie (which is what everyone wants) then why not make up they're own characters, titles and concepts instead of ruining someone else's by recreating it into bullshit? if they dont want to do a G1 movie then why do they keep trying to bring G1 into it? All its doing is setting eveyone up for a big let down because they're going to go to the movies expecting G1. And i know most of you who are reading this are probly going to say that im only saying this because im a G1 pureist or whatever nonesense but unlike you i dont have many "toy/cartoon/comic moviegeek friends" i only have 4 of them and the other friends/people who are the opinions i value most, are those who are goining to see it based off what little they know about Transformers/ the upcoming movie which unfortunately comes from they're childhood memories. These are the people who havent been following transformers from the 1980's until now and dont even know a transformers disscussion board even exists. so if they're going to be dissapointed what does that say about this movie???

2. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Nobody defeats the DEVASTATOR!

It is transformers, try and look at it with a more open mind.

3. Rumble02

Rumble02 Radicon of Obliticons

News Credits:
    Yeah it will be great if you just admit it isnt the cartoon. thats what i did

4. EagleEyeJoe

EagleEyeJoe Well-Known Member

Because these are Transformers... They are from Cybertron. Autobots are lead by Optimus Prime and the Decepticons are lead by Megatron.

It may not be the Transformers you personally may remember, but that does not invalidate the brand name and the concept. There's room for another continuity.

5. Cheetatron

Cheetatron Drat, outsmarted by a Lorry, I am disgraced

"ZOMG WHY IS THE BLACK GUY WITH AN EYE PATCH FROM ULTIMATES, ULTIMATE TEAM-UP, ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN, ULTIMATE AVENGERS, & X-MEN LEGENDS 2 CALLED NICK FURY?! DUDE WTF!?!"

Lawl cause its the bold love child of Awesome and Win and it applies to most controversial revamps/adaptations

6. Autobot_Jedi

Autobot_Jedi Member

I agree, you need to think outside the energon cube.

7. Brave Magnus

Brave Magnus Drawings from Argentina! :D

News Credits:
    Despite all what I read today I'm not gonna change my mind: I LIKE IT. Except for Starscream, I think this character could change a little bit. but the plot and the designs are OK.
    All the ones who saw the pics and don't like them need to calm down.

8. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

The reason its called Transformers is so Hollywood and Hasbro can make a quick buck on our nostalgia.

And this movie is made of nothing but greed and fail.

9. Satan Santa

Satan Santa Knows you've been naughty

I agree with you, and feel your pain. It's not Transformers as we know it, but they certainly felt it would do them good to slap that name on it.

It's kind of like announcing a new Star Wars movie, and getting everyone excited, only to find out it was some other story that took place in space and had fighting in it. It would still get lots of attention, but it wouldn't feel anything like Star Wars.

Look up Knight Rider 2010, which was a movie that had NOTHING to do with Knight Rider. Perfect example of gratuitous misuse of a franchise name.

Sure, this new movie has elements of Transformers, but if it wasn't for the marketing angle, it would deserve a completely new name.

10. Silver Bullit

Silver Bullit Banned

I don't think a mind blown apart from inside with dynamite coule be open enough to accept the chrome cactus.

Or BugScream.

SB

11. Satan Santa

Satan Santa Knows you've been naughty

Chrome Cactus!! Ahahaha!! :D 

12. Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus Old School Snarkster

News Credits:
    God I hope the film is a huge success

13. nuopus

nuopus Well-Known Member

Well ... since the Transofmers line is OWNED by Hasbro .... Hasbro can change it to THEIR hearts content and call it Transformers. What makes the Transformers what they are is character persona and story.... thats it, end of story.

If Hasbro wants to make Optimus look like a carebear and call it a Transformer because its heart powers turn a tree into a japanese ice princess ... then it is a freaking Transformer just because the OWNER says it is.

Now, if you think in your tiny little mind that it has something to do with you, then you are mistaken. It is their trademark not yours.

14. nuopus

nuopus Well-Known Member

No, its not what everyone wants. I welcome a change to the entire line if it makes Transformers popular with the new generation.

15. mblase

mblase Well-Known Member

I dont understand why they're using the names and characteristics of the G1 characters if they're changing them so drasticly and not for the better. I keep hearing about how its not G1! but if its not G1 then why are they stealing names/concepts from G1?

For the same reason Hasbro did the same with Beast Wars, then RiD, then Armada, Energon, and Cybertron.

The Transformers are not a story which was exclusively developed in G1. TF is a concept: Autobots and Decepticons from Cybertron, fighting a war for millions of years, then bring it to Earth and disguise themselves as Earth machines. That's it.

If you want to talk about how they're corrupting G1, I ask you this: Which version of G1? Do you mean the story developed in the packaging and tech specs, or the cartoon version, or the Marvel Comics version? Because those are all mighty different.

Transformers gets reinvented constantly. Frankly, the G1 cartoon had plot holes and inconsistencies in it all over the place, and while it's certainly "classic", in my mind it doesn't deserve the status of holy writ that some fans put on it.

Beast Wars was a radical change, but ultimately an improvement on G1 storytelling-wise in every possible sense. RiD was a fun diversion, silly in places, but I think Transformers needed that for a while. (Aren't most of our favorite "Star Trek" episodes the funny ones?) Armada/Energon/Cybertron were another massive change, but I think they pulled the best of all three worlds together to make this latest one.

And now we have the movie, which brings our favorite characters to Earth in all-new bodies with a seriously new look (weren't we all raving about TransTech when we first got a glimpse of it? And now we've got it, in 3D to boot), as well a new story which will only take about two hours instead of 39 episodes to unfold.

Yeah, it's gonna be different. Since when was different bad?

16. chuckcjc

chuckcjc Wheeljack Engineer Corp.

News Credits:
    If these bots have to explode into millions of shards and pieces and then reform to change from robot mode to alt mode, we are being mislead.

They tell us they are giving us "The Transformers" but in the movie it will be more like "The Exploders", or the "ShapeShifters", or some jank like that.

If there aren't shifting panels, joints, cylinders, and linkages involved, then these are not transforming robots as we know them. And if they can't even deliver that, then what the hell is the point of this movie?

Granted Starscream and Blackout look to hold true to the familiar style of transformation. But the others?

17. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Where is everybody seeing this explosivetransformation footage?? :( 

18. Shaun_C

Shaun_C The REAL One True fan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

It's just an unsubstantiated internet rumor that people (particularly the ones who hated the movie from the start) have decided must be true since it's a Michael Bay movie

19. Beastbot X

Beastbot X Old skool. In a lot of ways.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Ditto (and to be honest, I can't imagine it at least not being moderately successful). Just so I can see these people whine more about how their beloved childhood was killed off and replaced with evil-er and better robot designs-- this is too rich!

20. chuckcjc

chuckcjc Wheeljack Engineer Corp.

News Credits:
    There is no footage, merely theory at this point. The letters explode on the movie trailer and reformat, but that alone by itself means nothing.

But to start supporting the theory, where does anyone begin to see any semblance of Megatron's alt mode on this robot mode body.

Bumblebee has a few fragments of his car mode on his robot mode body, but not in any way that a mechanically driven transformation seems remotely or physically possible.

I want to see how they intend to "transform" these two.