Why are they called Transformers?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Backstop, Feb 6, 2007.

1. Backstop

Backstop Have you seen my box art?

News Credits:
    I was watching some G1 episodes and it hit me! Now I know why they are called TFS but I am talking more in terms of the cartoon.As it was said the autobots and Decepticons later learned how to transform so if this is the case why were they called Transformers?As bots like Alphatrion had no alt mode as also those paradron guys(well not that I saw)!so there is proof of non-transforming bots.Just curious of what you guys think.Plus I always wonder when I watch that fight of flee episode why Sandstorm is the only one who can transform?and if Octane is also from Paradron since the two are buds?Did Octane switch side when the cons took over?hmmmmmmm...........

2. theLostSeeker

theLostSeeker Well-Known Member

What?

3. Backstop

News Credits:
    Sorry I messed up the post title it should say "Why are THEY called Transformers?"Can it please be corrected?Thanks.

4. jet convoy

jet convoy Beast Wars Forever!!!

Because they transform, DUH!!!!

But really, that's a very good question. Maybe they had another name before but began calling themselves that after obtaining the ability to transform? Or am I getting my origins confused? Because I remember that in the old school Marvel comics they couldn't transform before but then gained that ability, which the Decepticons were first to use.

Was it different on the cartoon or the newer comics?

5. Backstop

News Credits:
    THEY CAN TRANSFORM! lol..............

6. catch22

catch22 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    It's been a long time since I've seen the old G1 cartoons, but as far as the show is concerned and the comics I've read, they never actually use the term "Transformers".

It's just the title of the show because the main characters can transform. No need to read any further into it

7. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    The name of their "race" likely came along later.

To illustrate, it's not like the first human looked at his reflection in the water and said, "Oh crap, I'm Caucasian!"

8. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    because they can transform, youcandoit, youcandoit, daniel

9. Backstop

News Credits:
    Well I thought the Quintessons named them Transformers?So I don't think the autobots or cons came up with the name?I see your point but I do not think this is the case?

10. catch22

catch22 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Your correlation is off. It should read, "oh crap, I'm a Homo!", as strange as that sounds

11. JinraiPrime

JinraiPrime 1000+ Post Club Member

Werent they originally Cybertronians or the like....

12. trebleshot

trebleshot www.Toyark.com Veteran

News Credits:
    From what I remember of the Marvel comic origins, the Autobots were the first to learn how to transform, in order to hide from the Decepticons, who were more powerful and were better at warfare. To avoid leaving the Autobots with a tactical advantage, the Decepticons learned how to transform as well.

But I've got my RTG's on, so my hindsight could be fuzzy.:D 

13. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

I always figured non-transforming Cybertronians were just "Cybertronians". Or maybe just "robots". Remember, the Quintessons considered them a product, not a race.

14. VAwitch

VAwitch G1 GeekGirl

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I think the Quints, who seemed to have kept aprised/keenly interested in the going-on of Cybertron after the Coup, probably started calling the Cybertronians "Transformers" once that ability came up, and stuck around.

From what I recall as well, while A3/Alpha trion & co (original creations, maybe 2nd gen as well), couldn't transform, but I always got the impression that it wasn't all that long after they kicked the Quints off-planet, that the 1st Great War between the Bots & Cons started.

And even in comics, while Quints weren't a part of it, again, they lived together in harmony for a long time - but even "immortals" would consider 1 million years + a long time, with it being being less than a quarter of the overall time span.
    --Gods I hope that came across better than I can seem to type it.

15. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    I would assume the first human was middle-eastern...

but on topic, I only use the name "Transformers" when referring to the toys or storyline. I call the actual race "Cybertronians" because that's what they are. Furthermore, there's barely anything in the G1 cartoon that I consider canon.

16. Poho

Poho That's MISTER Poho to you

News Credits:
    The answer to why they are called "transformers" is given and explained very well in the movie. (according to the script).

17. Banshee

Banshee Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Was the word ''transformers'' actually used in the G1 cartoon or comic at any time?

If not, it's probably just a case of a show title that's not used in the show. Like Star Trek, or The shield.

18. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    Not off--my correlation was relating to race, not species. Besides, Caucasian is funnier anyway.

19. Doctor Ingenious

Doctor Ingenious Doctorate in Ingeniology

It's a catchy enough sounding name that describes the toy product in which kids can understand.

20. Ironhide546

Ironhide546 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I thought that they were ALL Cybertronians, and that not everyone on Cybertron can transform, only certain robots who undergo a special process...

So all Transformers are Cybertronians but not all Cybertronians are Transformers.