Why are there so many nasty Transformers fans?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Brave Convoy, Nov 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brave Convoy

Brave Convoy Banned

He-Man fans are so freakin' nice it's almost unsettling. Go to He-Man.org and you'll see people constantly be nice to each other and in the rare case they disagree, they do it with the utmost respect. No profanity, no insults, no disrespect.

Go over to the GI Joe forums and you'll see more of the same. Fans who may nitpick a bit, but for the most part love their products and are pretty respectful to each other.

Go over to a Star Wars or Star Trek forum. More of the same.

But whenever I go to a Transformers forum, I get an overwhelming sense of nastiness. I've been a member of this board off and on since it started, and every time I pop back in, I see the same thing. You've got 1 person who's enthusiastic about something in the TF world, and then you've immediately got 10 people who are eager to piss all over that enthusiasm. Name calling, snide comments, personal insults, and just an all-round disrespectful attitude.

I like a lot of different movie and comic properties, but I gotta say, TFdom has the most jerks I've ever seen. To those of you who are respectful, positive and enthusiastic, you know who you are, and you know I'm not grouping you in with the bad apples.

But to the ones who find themselves posting "No way," "It'll never happen," "that sucks" and "epic fail" so many times that they've got these phrases loaded as macros in their F keys, please do everyone a favour and just shut the hell up.

2. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    We should add the people who constantly post those dismissive, always unwelcome "cool story, bro" messages too.

3. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I do agree with you valkysas. Thats why I left the fandom for a good number of years and just recently returned. You can't let those type of people win.

Unfortunately, most people on TF message boards are internet tough guys lol

Just remember.... most of them look like this

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Brave Convoy

Brave Convoy Banned

:thumb 

5. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 Optimus, serving up the primest of ribs since 1984

News Credits:
    well part of it is the various lines of which i believe TF has more of than either G.I. Joe or Masters of the Universe, tend to polarize the TF collectors some will say nothing after G1 is any good, then you have the Beast wars/Machines people vs the truk not munkey crew, the Transformers are so varied that you tend to get groups being defensive of their favorites and dissing everything else, my self I like all Transformers and I have something from every Hasbro line except RiD and i one from the encore line (Ironhide).

6. TIE Bomber

TIE Bomber Banned

I moved to the GI Joe boards. I'm having a blast there. I can't stand this site anymore. The people are cool there. Wanna know the main difference? On the Transformers boards everybody is a wise ass! You post something & all they try to do is be slick & make you look like a complete ass. On the He-Man, GI Joe & Star Wars boards they simply answer your question, agree, politely disagree & joke around. On the Transformers boards it's always a race to see who can get the best wise ass answer in first. Then post that dumb fucking "EPIC WIN" garbage. It feels like a bunch of ******ed 12 year olds around here.

7. Razorclaw

Razorclaw Are ya gonna draw pistols

I would have to agree unfortunately to some extent. I've noticed the overall tone of board has changed, there were always people to respond to your (no matter how inane) questions (and not in a snide maner) and willing to help you out. Also alot of senior members are not posting anymore at all (KA, Dark Convoy, Arcee, OMG I forgot the name of the girl from Island...and there are more that I can't remember).

8. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    If I'm not mistaken, didnt you constantly insult animated and it's fans in the past?

If I am mistaken, I apologize for the mixup. but I'm pretty sure you did. because I remember laughing when you started getting angry at people showing ROTF and it's fans the same lack of respect.

9. Keroshino

Keroshino Beasties: Transformers Fan

News Credits:
    I agree with ya Brave Convoy...there are alot of Douche's in the TF Boards...and alot of them i find swarm to the "Movie Discussion" section

people who always have to be right!...people who try to force their opinion's on others
    and people who just try to start shit!!! (you know who you jerks are!)

10. Agent-GHQ

Agent-GHQ Accept the unacceptable

Ebay:
    I'm more disturbed that people take shiets too freakin serious on the interweb!

11. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    I'm more disturbed that its frowned upto to have a serious discussion on the internet. Yes the majority are like 9 years old but even the "adults" struggle with discussion.

12. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Is that a pig roast I smell in this thread?

Oh, my god. That's fucking rich, right there. :lolol 

13. Hollywood Hoist

Hollywood Hoist Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    "Anyone who could possibly think this is real should feel terrible about themselves, their position in life, and their future." This is a quote from you yesterday in response to someone posting a promo image for Transformers 3 which was thought to be a fake. These comments are no better than the **** talking that happens in regard to Transformers. Not everyone is computer savvy or up on fake vs real stuff that happens on the internet. If someone posts something you think is fake, be polite about it. Personally attacking someone because of a fake promo image is ridiculous.

14. Midnight

Midnight Nerdicon

I think it's actually pretty mellow around here.Maybe Ive just gotten used to it though.lol

But really if you can't take the heat get outta the kitchen,(that sounded better in my head) cuz it's just the internet.

It may seem like a war zone around here sometimes but what's the worst that can happen aside from your feelings getting hurt.

And remember, we're still not as bad as 4chan.

15. Hollywood Hoist

Hollywood Hoist Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    People here should enjoy the hobby, and be happy that so many share their interests here. I have read plenty of threads about people outside of the Transformers fandom giving a hard time to those who collect, it can be really frustrating. We may not all agree, but I think a little respect would make this place a much more enjoyable place to visit.

Most of the people on the WA sighting forum have become friends as a result of this board and if you look through the hundreds of posts you'll see almost zero nastiness. There are some who don't like the movie figs but they don't post things like "people who like these figures are idiots". I find myself posting less and less outside the sightings forums because people are so much more polite. Maybe because most of us have met in person, but if that's what it takes for people to be polite and respectful, than we're probably no going to get any better.

16. Autobot_Wall-E

Autobot_Wall-E The Musical

Because there are many nasty people in the world, and the fandom are made up of, oddly enough, people.

17. llamatron

llamatron OFFICIAL MMC REP TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    To be fair I think most of them are at least 13. But otherwise yeah.

Honestly I doubt there's much difference between fandoms. If you take a big group of people and stick them in front of keyboards you'll pretty much always end up with the same result.

18. JetRaid

JetRaid Jhet Rheyd

News Credits:
    I try and be nice but there is always a bunch of mean people in every forum. I think the Radicons and the General discussion are pretty calm places, the movie forum though...

19. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

Why ARE the fans of musclemen running around in their pants all so nice to each other?
    [​IMG]
    It's almost as if they all have something in common with each other.
    [​IMG]
    Some shared interest.
    [​IMG]
    Maybe something that marks them out as a little unusual.
    [​IMG]
    Just wish I could think of what it was.

:wink: 

20. aussiehippy

aussiehippy Au contraire, Blackadder.

Ebay:
    I've noticed a distinct downturn in the "nice-ness" of these forums. I lurked for a long time before I signed up and started posting and in those days (do I sound like an old man?) it did seem a lot more respectful.

Personally I think since the first movie happened, it has drawn a lot more people into the fandom, and unfortunately (for me) that has led to a lot more of the 'internet tough guys' and '12 year olds' appearing to post here.

I don't post here anywhere near as much as I used to. But then, I don't tend to get that much snideness directed at myself, possibly becaue I shy away from trying to force my own opinions out on others.

We could definitely do with a bit more politeness to new members, but eh, it's not gonna happen.

And yeah, I miss reading a lot of the old regulars that don't bother as much any more.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.