Why are there no custom Animated figures?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Cal, Dec 24, 2011.

1. Cal

Cal Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This is something that has become of great concern to me. So far, fans have been quick to capitalise on the holes in the CHUG line by designing custom figures of unreleased characters. It seems that when it comes to kitbashes, G1 gets all the attention to the point where we see two custom Devastators being made at the same time.

And yet... what happened to Animated figures? Surely the series has plenty of opportunities for new toys. Characters like Yoketron, Omega Supreme and the Constructicons never got a toy, to say nothing of the oodles of filler characters in crowd scenes, but no one seems interested in designing a third-party version. Even something as simple as a KO Voyager Thundercracker is completely overlooked. Why? Hasn't Animated earned as much acclaim and respect as G1? You can't say that, "Oh, but Animated figures are too difficult to design", because if you can make a working Devastator, the simplified, stylised look of the Animated cast would be a piece of cake by comparison.

You know what terrifies me? I'm starting to think that people see Animated as just a 'fad'. Sure, it was great during its time and people loved the cartoon. I distinctly remember fans lauding Megatron as the best incarnation of the character. But now that it's over, it's over. Fans returned their attention to more Classics and ended up selling their Animated collection to cover the costs. Even Hasbro seems unconcerned with releasing toys like Blackout, Hydrodive Bumblebee and the awesome Wingblade Optimus Prime. But Primus, hasn't Animated retained any love at all? How do you feel about the series at this stage? Do you still collect Animated figures, and do you want to see the likes of FansProject and TFC Toys turn their attention to them?

2. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

one of the companies was coming out with an animated combiner pack for the stunticons i think. but i am sure that won't happen much.

or maybe it is just because the animated figures are much harder to create then people think. i mean they have to keep the aesthetics. in BOTH modes.

3. Erector

Erector I ruined the Hall of Fame

News Credits:
    There is that third party doing the combining Menasor, and they were talking about doing the Powermaster armour from the Animated Almanac for Prime too.

But yes, I would love to see more Animated stuff, whether it's Has/Tak or third party. I would do vile, unpleasant, borderline illegal things for a voyager Thundercracker of any description to be honest.

4. SoundBlaster7

SoundBlaster7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    So many repaint opportunities :) 
    I've seen a few Wasps and Cliffjumpers done before, though.

[​IMG]

5. Erector

News Credits:
    I'd love a custom Wasp, but I want the right head, which is my problem :-/ Same with Cliffy.

6. SoundBlaster7

SoundBlaster7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I hate the fact we didn't get deluxes of these guys :( 

7. Erector

News Credits:
    I can live without Wasp, as I hate having two of the same character and I've got Waspinator. But a lack of Cliffy makes me sad, and I hate Activator size class :( 

8. Cal

Cal Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Someone clever enough to design their own Cybertronian Bumblebee could make some easy money just by retooling him as the many Autobots who share his mold. Make it happen, people!

9. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Or just 'A1' for short...

Because of course my design for Animated Tracks and Animated Bayverse Sideswipe don't count...

[​IMG]

As for figures which have been created physically (mine are yet to be printed), what about Caitlindevi's Cybertronian Bumblebee? Sure, it was a statue, but iirc she did make many different parts so you could make almost whichever bot you wanted using that body type. Not really sure about the transforming bit though. I'm pretty sure it was a statue of some sort. I'm sure a Radicon could make one, though. I mean, if someone could make regular Bumblebee's cybertronian hovercraft-thingy alt.mode (same guy that originally made HOS Prime), then surely someone could make an Animated Cybertronian Bumblebee that transforms. It'd be a hell of a task though.

I'd say the issue is that G1 is pretty much a safe bet. Just make something and everyone will buy it, or at least they won't hate it. Animated...it's 50/50. Some like it, some hate it (believe me, i know, some people hated my Sideswipe for being Animated-y). And given the already tiny customer base (relative to Hasbro) of 3rd party companies, they may not want to make something slightly...shall we say, controversial?

EDIT: Oh, and getting the style is far harder than one can imagine. Took me days to get teh two designs linked above to look Animated-y, and even then some say otherwise...

10. DBarricade

DBarricade General Nutcase

Animated had a very unique aesthetic to it. They tended to capture the look and personality of the character from the show very well, right down to the very stylized, cartoony proportions of each mode. The toy designers and cartoon artists had worked closely together in order to achieve this. It's likely much harder for someone else to come in afterward and try to do this for the characters who never got toys.

That said, I'd love to see someone do a season 3 Sari, and possibly a few others. Maybe if those previously mentioned third party sets do well enough, more third party companies may throw their hats into the ring and give it a try? However, I doubt the likes of Fansproject, TFC Toys, or Maketoy would get involved. There will always be a much greater demand for G1 updates, be it characters that Has/Tak have yet to touch or fans feel have been done inadequately.

11. Sharpfinger

Sharpfinger Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    We have many Radicons that does Animated characters, take a look in the forum and you can see Dirtboss, Override, an alternative Minerva, Grandus, Omega Supreme, Earth mode Ironhide, Cyclonus, the other Seekers, Perceptor and many other characters from the show or original ones. It's unfair with their job to say we don't have custom Animated figures.

If you are talking about mass produced unlicensed third party figures (like FP Defender, Giant, Hercules...) then I agree with you, I guess Animated could have a lot more love from those companies. There are many characters that *needs* to be done and I need to look them on my shelves :) 

12. Star Saber

Star Saber Cybertron 5th Commander

News Credits:
    ^Pretty much this. G1 designs and other subsequent lines and characters don't have such a unique aesthetic, and have the benefit of years of different interpretations where one can make a somewhat similar design and it would look right. I don't think the same goes for TFA. The aesthetic really makes it hard for others to customize toys or to make newer figures or accessories to fit into the line.

Just take a look at the 3rd Party Menasor parts for the Botcon Stunticons, you see all sorts of arguments where people go "It doesn't look right" or "It was never meant to be a combiner", but you don't see that many people complain about FP City Commander :p 

13. vm-01

vm-01 Well-Known Member

Not nearly as much acclaim. You're assuming that because of all the love it gets on this site it must get a lot of love everywhere. G1 is like the original Star Trek and Animated is like Deep Space 9. Loved by fans but it's just a different show in different circumstances.

That said there are some cool Animated things on the Radicons section including Omega Supreme and recently Ironhide. My guess is the 3rd party thing is simply financial reasons. G1 is just more popular.

14. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    The animated look IS hard to get right. Just look at what G1Uppers posted for head designs before Derrick J. Wyatt posted one.

Also no offense to treadshot, but his Tracks, while based on official source material, just doesn't look right.

G1 characters are easy, which is why there's a massive amount of "third party" companies doing them. They're blocks on blocks. They are made out of the simplest geometric shapes possible, and transformations for them are easier to figure out because of it. Animated stuff is all about the lines of the character, and the shapes that go into building them. It is extremely hard to do from scratch. Tackling the animated aesthetic is an intimidating task for anyone, because its so specific. It's the easiest to mess up.

So far the only person I've seen capable of getting TFA designs right when working from scratch is Caitlindevi.

There's lots of people capable of customizing existing TFA toys into new characters though. I've seen some good ones on this forum.

15. Cal

Cal Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Rubbish. The people who design custom figures are the same group people who love Transformers. Their designs are not meant to be marketed to the casual fan who recognizes Transformers through G1's popularity, but they're aimed at collectors who would surely pay a high price for toys of a cult series, including many of the overlooked Animated characters.

I don't believe a word of that. Look at Voyager Prime! Look at Leader Megatron! They have extraordinarily simple transformations and very little detailing sculpted on their bodies. Now compare that to RTS Wreck-Gar or Perceptor, who possess very abstruse transformations and a far greater level of detail. Are you telling me that it's easier to design a custom figure to fit in with Classics than it is with Animated? I think you're just making excuses for the lack of attention towards Animated because no third-party developer has actually tried to design and market a figure.

16. PoweredConvoy

PoweredConvoy Randy of the Allspark

News Credits:
    I think it comes down to the fact that G1 sells and that styling is the most recognizable.

Randy

17. vm-01

vm-01 Well-Known Member

They can't build stuff just out of love. Casting is expensive. Besides it's not like Animated is the only series being overlooked. There's significantly less Beast Wars 3rd party stuff. And movie 3rd party stuff is also minuscule compared to G1 inspired stuff.

18. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    Yeah it's odd that there's no Thundercracker or Ramjet.

I wish they'd made a few more items than they did. but I think that getting the third parties to pay a blind bit of notice to the non-G1/Classics stuff is super hard - speaking as someone who's been pestering them for years for someone to make a Rattrap DlX size pistol and Depth Charges other gun It's a hard task.

I'm not mad for Animated (not even seen the show to the end yet) but I'd probably buy a Faux Hotshot or Red Alert or brawn in Animated style.

I'm not as bothered by the lack of Constructicons as they were a bit to silly looking for me to take seriously anyway.

And yes it probably was a fad Like RID I think only a vocal minority care about it (mostly Americans) and a lot of the Transformers fan outside American didn't even like it that much in the first place.

That said if Hasbro decide to fill some gaps for Animated in a future Universe like line i'd happily buy them. but i'm not chewing the carpet for their lack.

Whereas I am chewing the carpet for the lack of a decent sized Movie Bonecrusher.

I feel we have got most of the classics I'd want now so I'd be quite happy for a toy revisit of Animated anything that gives us a break from Movie saturation is good (I don't dislike Movie toys I just want them to be better toys).

I can't see that many people wanting to pay $80.00 for an original Animated Deluxe though. I think something like an adaptable Optimus Trailer is well worth making though... he needs a trailer. and It would be nice to get a Motormaster and Toxitron trailer out of the deal too so that might be fun.

I think a Menasor conversion kit is still in the works and I think that might combine into a trailer so that might be the closest you will get for a while.

But it does look like Cybertronian Bumblebee has a lot of repaint potential - so maybe CHMS might be persuaded to do it - I'm not sure their Chromia and Paladron medic sold well enough for them to make a wholly new mould though.

Even as someone who is far from being an Animated fan - and who usually tuts a bit when the various Podcasts gush a bit to much about it I do admit I do think i'd much much rather had an Animated Omega Supreme toy instead of that stupid Ultimate Movie Bumblebee as the big Xmas toy that year.

19. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    You've never done 3D CAD work have you? Curved surfaces are far more difficult than blocky or round surfaces. Since modern tooling is done off CAD designs, that's where the difficulty comes in.

20. Hotwire

Hotwire Pro-Customizer

Like this one I did?
    [​IMG]