why are the henkei figres so much better?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by zandar07, Aug 31, 2012.

1. zandar07

zandar07 Well-Known Member

I'm a relatively new TF collector and I've been noticing that the Henkie Transformers are much nicer than their Hasbro Universe/Rid counterparts. What's the reason for this?

Also, while I'm on the subject, can someone explain to me how the whole Takara Tommy / Hasbro thing works? Does TakaraTommy own the TF patent/copyright/whatever and just lease it out to Hasbro or something?

Thanks!

2. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    They cost twice as much.

That about sums it up.

The Transformers brand is co-owned by TakaraTomy and Hasbro. Most toylines are developed in full partnership between the two companies, but as far as I'm aware, if either company strikes out and does their own thing, the other company still has full freedom to use the others' materials if they so desire. Neither company can co-opt the brand for themselves and cut the other one off saying "nuh-uh, you can't have it anymore". It's a completely mutual licensing agreement.

3. Star Saber

Star Saber Cybertron 5th Commander

News Credits:
    The reason is that Takara/Tomy is usually a stickler for more cartoon accurate decos, while at the same time, are fans of such old school features such as die-cast/chrome. They are usually priced higher as a result (not including shipping to the US, which adds even more to the price), and because many collectors want these features, they go for a lot more on the secondary market.

The story with Takara Tomy and Hasbro is a bit complicated, to say it in a few words, they're Hasbro's official partner in Japan, with the rights to manufacture/distribute Transformers for their market (Japan, though it gets distributed as well to parts of Asia, and some amounts reach other parts of the world through online retailers.)

4. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Different take, that's all.

Personally, I think most are horrible thanks to the random chrome. Especially Grimlock with his chrome vest in dinosaur mode.

As for Takara Tomy and Hasbro's relationship, they work together as partners on all main lines. Typically the initial designs come from Hasbro, and Takara Tomy handles the engineering. Takara Tomy also makes a lot of japan-only product (like Alternity, and the Microns for their prime line) that they do entirely on their own. Hasbro has done some Transformers completely on their own as well, like the Energon Dinobots and the entire Titanium line.

5. Boy Blunder

Boy Blunder Hasbrown'd

Really, that's subjective, too. I mean, I've only got one Henkei (Starscream), and other than possibly Megatron, I'm more than happy with the Hasbro versions of the molds.

6. opt1musaber

opt1musaber Victory Saber's Recruit

News Credits:
    What about licensing issues. Just because, Takara and Hasbro are partners in the Transformers franchise, doesn't mean that one company can automatically use the others product. As we all know, the next Masterpiece figures, MP-12 & 14 are subject to licensing issues with Hasbro. So even though Takara has the rights to produce Lambo Transformers as of now, it doesn't mean Hasbro can automatically start making Lambo Transformers themselves. Correct me if I'm wrong.

7. Snark

Snark Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Takara actively targets the collector market whereas Hasbro's focus is on the kids, with adult collectors being a mere periphery market.

8. Starscream Gaga

Starscream Gaga Protoformed This Way

News Credits:
    Pretty subjective.
    I personally hate chrome, so for the most part I prefer Classics to Henkei.

9. Grimwing

Grimwing Scientist Supreme

News Credits:
    Beyond the Henkei crome many figures have slavish G1 Animation coloring. Classics Really tried to homage toy colors (astrotrain and Ramjet are good examples of this between the lines).

But when the classics line was'nt homageing toy colors it had some fun. Sometimes for toy safety reasons like the toxic Megatron colors and other times just to be more eyecatching with things like Cliffjumpers custom silver flame deco.

if you don't care about the colors and are more into the transformations and getting all the characters represented. The Hasbro classics line rocks.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2012
  10. alldarker

alldarker M.A.S.K. Crusader

News Credits:
    Whereas Hasbro has always been held to stict figure-based budgets, Takara has always taken more freedom with these budgets. So (for example) where a modern Hasbro Transformer has allocated budget for 8 paint applications in max three colors OR two chromed parts and 4 paint applications, Takara would have no such (or less) budgetary restraints.
    As has been said above: Hasbro caters much more to a younger audience, with (money-conscious) parents as their primary customers. In Japan, Takara caters much more to an older market who earn their own money and therefor are willing to pay more for higher quality. That's the same reason why Takara is able to invest in the development of Masterpieces and the like.
    Also, consider that transport and distribution costs of produced toys from the factories in Asia to Japan are less than they are for Asia to the US. This also adds extra costs to Hasbro toys which need to be offset elsewhere.

11. PowermasterJazz

PowermasterJazz Well-Known Member

I'm not a fan of the random chrome parts. The only Japan Classics I got are Megatron (United) and Henkei Starscream.

12. Grimlocka go-go

Grimlocka go-go Back from the Dead TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This.

I only have a few select Henki's Rachet, hot rod, astro, megs, cyclonus, and the seekers, mainly because i like there asthetic more. I agree that some of the chrome looks like crap as stated before with grimmy for an example, but i'm a sucker for good chrome :lol 

I'd like to get prowl, streaker, and maybe prime, but for the rest of them i don't see enough of a difference to warrent a second purchase of the molds.

13. JokerFC

JokerFC Gaelic Hardcase

Ebay:
    IMO they arent 100% better & any of the times I have liked the Heinkei differences I cant justify the price......except in the case of Megatron.that was must have.

14. wildfly

wildfly Right notes. Wrong order.

News Credits:
    I'm not sure Henkei is absolutely better than Classics/Universe etc.

Hasbro went for re-imagining many of the characters, but then Takara were quite slavish about sticking with G1 decos.

Although in the case of say Smokescreen, the difference is glaring.

15. Star Saber

News Credits:
    Let's not forget Megatron :)  Now that was GLARING :lol 

16. wildfly

wildfly Right notes. Wrong order.

News Credits:
    Classics Megatron is bordering on comedic......but Henkei Megatron isn't great either, imo.

They didn't really settle on something more cohesive for that mold until United (again, imo)

17. Star Saber

News Credits:
    Agree on that. I prefer United Megs as well, just saying that Henkei and Hasbro Megs were way different paintwise. :D 

18. knoted

knoted Resistor Transistor

News Credits:
    In many cases I'd prefer Henkei, but not all. Henkei Starscream > Universe Starscream imo, but Generations Thundercracker > Henkei Thundercracker, for example.

19. Cracka J

Cracka J TURD PARTY DUMPSTERPIECE TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    yeah it pretty much boils down to personal preferences. honestly I bought the good majority of them at retail, so the hasbro 1/3 of the takara price definitely came in to play.

looking back now I probably would have bought a few more henkei if I knew the differences, but a lot of these informative threads that exist today didn't exist back then. I was pretty much in a "a few chrome parts ain't worth $30" state of mind because I wasn't aware of the paint app differences.

20. UltimusPrime

UltimusPrime Banned

News Credits:
    Henkei figures have better paint apps and chroming. They just look better all together.