Why are the Encore reissues so expensive?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by ZecksKitty, Jul 15, 2007.

1. IACON

IACON "That's Vector Sigma?" TFW2005 Supporter

I don't care.
    I am happy to have them pre-ordered!

2. NotFastEnuff

NotFastEnuff I'm a smartass...

Ebay:
    Okay, I know a lot of you weren't around when the bookstyles were coming out, so you won't remember them. I'm sure you can remember the TRU reissues, though. The TRU toys were as much or more (except for SW) as the encore toys. They really aren't that badly priced compared to when the bookstyles came out. Most of your bookstyle reissues were $40 for deluxe, I think SW as $50-60, depending on where you got it. Megs and Prime were even more. The encore toys aren't that bad, really. Go buy a #0 Prime now, then you'll see overpriced. Hell, for that matter, the recent #6 Megs was $90 most places, so $50-60 for the same toy doesn't sound to bad to me.

Prime & Megs $53 each, SW $48, and Screamer $33 at TFSource
    Prime $60, Megs $55, SW $50, Screamer $35 at BBTS

3. periL75

periL75 Soft Fleshy Bi-Ped

Ebay:
    Me too!:thumb 
    Buying all 4 w/combined shipping it ran me 190$ shipped from tfsource.
    It's worth it to me personally, but then again I don't already have all these figures mint as a lot of people do. And NEVER had Megs as a kid or now.

4. Razorclaw

Razorclaw Are ya gonna draw pistols

The prices the encores are going when compared to the prices such figures, I mean TFC and other reissues are going for on the internet IS cheap. But when you compare the prices with the prices of other transformers, which Takara and Hasbro had to develop first, like classics and movie figures, is a total ripoff. Classics Screamer which has alot more articulation and parts was $10 at retail, about $20 imported and encore reissue is $45, almost double that, and that's the price without importing.

5. RKillian

RKillian http://www.rktoyandhobby.com

News Credits:
    Considering Encore Optimus Prime, if you shop _outside_ of BBTS, is going for about $20 more than the G2 reissue _15_ years ago?

Hell, compared to what most of these were going for even a couple of years back, the Encore prices are fantastic. Starscream hasn't moved at all from the NewYear/DW/CS versions and Soundwave, again if you look outside of BBTS, can be had for as low as $40. For crying out loud, a mint condition vintage opened one was going for more than that 10 years ago!

6. Scourge_151

Scourge_151 Never gargle the rum. TFW2005 Supporter

I'll be getting an Encore Convoy as he's way cheaper for me than trying to find a reissue for similar money on eBay, I prefer long stacks so I'm sticking with Convoy rather than Optimus.

7. SydneyY

SydneyY @syd_tfw Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    More like;
    Convoy-US$40
    Megatron- $40
    Soundwave-$32
    Starscream-$23

That's the price at TRU jp online, so that's the price Japanese fans pay (possibly cheaper at brick and motar). RRP is higher, yes, but no one really pays RRP in Japan anyway.
    The line is expensive also because they don't produce as many of those as Hasbro's mainline Transformers, but please don't blame Takara just because there's middleman's fee added when buying outside Japan :) 

8. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

I don't see anything work with the price point for Encore. Encore and reissues in general reach a smaller market and therefore cost a little more. If you don't like it don't buy them,and go to ebay for G1 or other reissues.

These companies aren't evil. They are just trying to make a buck the same as you and me.

9. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, its actually the middle man fee...actually IMO, the toys are pretty affordable if you live in Asia i.e. Japan, HK, Singapore.

10. Pimpimus Prime

Pimpimus Prime (┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐) TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I don't know what you guys are bitching about. These reissues are actually cheaper this time around. When I bought the book reissues of Prime and Megs, I paid a good $70-$80. I think Starscream was about $40-$50.

11. GreenScream

GreenScream Neo G1 Collector

News Credits:
    I preordered my set from F2F without any hesitation. These same figures go for double the price on ebay.

It's quite simple really, don't like the prices, don't buy them.

12. e3nine

e3nine I have a large MISB collection.

News Credits:
    :lol 

the encore series is NOT expensive. $50 for a Soundwave? $60 for a Prime? $40 for Starscream? $60 for Megs?

That's actually the lowest pricing I've seen. Especially against eBay and 1st versions. (encore vs 16-S, encore vs D22, etc)

13. ZecksKitty

ZecksKitty Banned

"LOL, WHY R U COMPLAING, THEYVE ALWAYS HAD HORRIBLE OVERPRICING"

That's the most brilliant response I've had to this topic. A few posters chiming in that reissues have always been overpriced, so complaining about it now it just silly!

The less brilliant responses I've received are "THEYRE JUST TRYING TO MAKE A PROFIT", perfectly dictated business logic! You should complain about horribly overpriced thing that are sold way over their manufacturing price.

I mean, they should make gas like ten bucks a gallon, so they can get more profits.

"GAS HAS ALWAYS BEEN EXPENSIVE, THEYRE JUST TURNING PROFIT ITS A BUSINESS LOL"

Seriously you guys. If you can't get behind "Decades old reissues at a somewhat fair price!", chances are you aren't going to form a very coherent opinion to the contrary. I implore you to stop trying, and join my cause. D:

14. e3nine

News Credits:
    You're talking to a bunch of guys who either:

a) over paid for Megatron, Optimus Prime, Soundwave, or Starscream
    b) never had one because they don't want to over pay.
    c) are completely cranked on plastic crack ... we feel no pain.

I'm guilty of A and C. I paid $160 for my TFC00. I paid $100 for a New Year's Prime. I paid $80 for a TFC10. Although it sucks, I shelled out what I was comfortable with ... what I felt collecting was worth.

Unfortunately, the Encore series is another notch on Takara's new direction of "adult collectibles"and not "toys". They know who they're selling to and are trying to find an MSRP that looks attractive and profits.

15. ZecksKitty

ZecksKitty Banned

The point is they'll still make huge profits by making them kind of afordable. Hell, mass releasing them to the market at sane prices would probably give them more revenue, riding on the movie's coat tails.

16. llamatron

llamatron OFFICIAL MMC REP TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Welcome to... ECONOMICS 101!

Smaller production runs + More expensive materials + Wacky middleman prices = Higher cost!

17. e3nine

News Credits:
    By controlling the release and production run, they're not bullied by Wal-Mart on pricing. Wal-Mart uses their market presence to dictate merchandise costs. Typically the mfg'er does this ... but it's completely backwards with big blue.

Ex.
    So, in order to offer Movie toys at the "rollback pricing" of $9.87 and claim that "lowest pricing guaranteed", Wal-Mart will force Hasbro to sell them toys at $8.50 each. Hasbro sells to everyone else (TRU, Target) at $9.25. This messes with Hasbro's profitability, but they have to do this. Without Wal-Mart, they won't meet Q2 profit expectations.

I'm sure this is why Hasbro is so into "store exclusives" in the US. They don't fully alienate Wal-Mart ... but they do their best to get products elsewhere.

18. Mega-Prime

Mega-Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Let's see...

- Takara, (G1 acurrate), Encore Soundwave from TFSource is 47.99$ U.S (50.28$ Canadian)
    - Hasbro, (inacurate), Reissue Soundwave is 39.99$ Canadian (45.59$ with tax)

5$ more for a G1 acurrate toy ... I don't see a problem here.

19. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Veteran

I'm not seeing how these prices are any more unreasonable than the TFC ones...

20. Deceptichage

Deceptichage Decepticon Land Pirate

News Credits:
    #06 Megatron came back out a few months ago and is still selling at some online stores for $89. Cheapest I can find it online is $69. I held out and bought the Encore version.