Why Are TFs So Damn Expensive In Canada?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by GrimlockAutobot, May 11, 2010.

1. GrimlockAutobot

GrimlockAutobot Volcanicus Torso

News Credits:
    Somewhere Wearing The Dinobots As Gloves & Boots
    So the new wife and I are in Niagara Falls, Canada (we're from Maryland) for our honeymoon and we decide to hit the local Wal-Mart and Zellers. (and Tim Horton's too......it ROCKS!!)

When I get to the Wal-Mart I notice that they have about 6 ROTF Mindwipes!! I'm hurting for this figure because I can't find it anywhere in my area. (Maryland)

Then I look at the price of the voyager figures on the shelf. They want $30 for a stinkin' voyager and if you factor in the up-conversion rate on US currency you're talking between $32-$35 for a voyager. I can almost get two for that price in the USA.

The deluxes were also $16 each at Wal-Mart. So to my fellow USA collectors, we really have nothing to complain about when it comes to TF price and availability in the States.

2. LoC Soundwave

LoC Soundwave Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Be glad you didn't go to Europe... $60 Voyagers anyone?

3. Trailbreaker77

Trailbreaker77 Camaro Club! Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    GA,

Stay out of Canada they don't like you anyways, come back to Maryland and hunt or swing by the mall in Rochester you should find something there.

4. Optimus Vader

Optimus Vader Banned

Is Canada a new word for K-Mart?

5. GrimlockAutobot

News Credits:
    Where is the mall in Rochester and what stores are there that carry TFs?

6. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Noone really knows why for sure, but the working theory for why they're more expensive in Canada is that its either because of taxes (which you may or may not have accounted for), the extra costs involved in making the bilingual packaging (Canada has some interesting language laws due to our two official languages), or due to extra shipping costs incurred in distribution, which may all come through the US, rather than directly from China.

Also, why does your US conversion rate make things more expensive? Canadian prices should be cheaper in US dollars than in CAN. Should be more like 29 bucks US, before taxes.

Last edited: May 11, 2010
  7. GrimlockAutobot

News Credits:
    If you use US Currency at a Canadian retailer that accepts US Dollars, they up-convert the price to US dollars. (One Canadian Dollar is worth 85 cents US.)

8. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Yeah, then that kind of sucks, because you're instantly paying at least 103% just to begin with. Zellers is also pretty expensive, compared to Wal-mart, but its our only major source short of a border run for Target exclusives. Try to convert some of your cash, if you can, though its pretty close to par right now.

Go to the Copacabana Brazillian Steakhouse while you're in Niagra Falls. Bring an appetite. I always liked the dinosaur mini-golf course by the big ferris wheel on Lundy's Lane, too. If the weather gets nice, take a trip out to wine country. There's tons of wineries closeby Niagra Falls, many right off the QEW highway, and if you can't decide which winery, you can go to Jordan's Crossing, a little village with sort of outlet cafes for a few wineries.

You're only about an hour away from Toronto, as well, if there's anything there that would interest you more.

Last edited: May 11, 2010
  9. Trailbreaker77

Trailbreaker77 Camaro Club! Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I think it is called Medley Centre and if you find the Mall you will find enough stores on that same road that will have some TF's.

10. wildfly

wildfly Fermenting pork tube.

News Credits:
    I knew there was going to be a 'We get screwed in Europe' post, but 3 minutes was quick.

$75 in Argentina.

11. GrimlockAutobot

News Credits:
    Thanks for the advice on places to stop....that was going to be my next question for all of you Canadians out there in TFW2005 land!! A friend of ours recommended the Copacabana too......might have to check it out now.

It's been pretty chilly here the last few days!!

12. Janitor

Janitor Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That's Canada again for ya! :tongue: 

A lot of the price difference has to do with the different exchange rates. When manufacturers (in oh, let's say China) set their prices months in advance, they go by the rates at the time. Fast forward to now, when the CDN dollar and USD are practically at par. They're not going to change the prices to reflect where it's at right now.

13. Venksta

Venksta Render Project Creations TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    True. Our exchange rate for several years, with the US, was very bad. So our retail prices were closer to what the actual exchange would be with the US. Now that our dollar is so much closer, retailers just haven't bothered to change the prices. At the same time, the retailers here are making much more money, so they probably have no intention of lowering the prices. However, I think some of the recent sales in the last couple months, might be due to the good exchange rate. Voyagers for $15 at walmart is always a good sale. :) 

14. TFormerfan

TFormerfan Maximal

I will agree with all of you Canada has over priced there TF's I don't buy ROTF figs but through past lines it was pricey

15. Phoenix Blaze

Phoenix Blaze Brain Waster

Just be thankful you can buy the damn things in store.......hmm....

But yes, I've always found the higher canadian prices kinda odd.....

16. QmTablit

QmTablit BotBot in the what, I said BotBot in the what

Canada has Walmarts? Try an actual Canadian chain, Walmart is crap as it is in America.

LOL

"I went to an America chain in Canada, and you'll never believe it- they're trying to rip Canadians off!"

17. Powersa

Powersa Car Robots

News Credits:
    must be all the extra taxes

18. Razorclaw

Razorclaw Are ya gonna draw pistols

It's more like $45. Either way, it's too much for a voyager sized figure. Leader sized figures are around $80, FYI. But what's the main hurdle is that there are no guarantees that all figures from a line will be available at all, in all european countries.

I was lucky I bought ROTF Bludgeon for around $30 (it was a 30% discount sale) in January.

19. Harbinger

Harbinger ecnayonnA

makes me put out being in Australia, we too have Leader class figures at $80 (though i have seen them as high as $100 and supreme class Devastator was $150 when on sale) though our voyager figures are around the $45 to $50 mark.

frankly Canada's prices seem like a luxury to me.

20. Transquito

Transquito Reach For The Light

Transformers prices in Denmark;

Legends Class = 12$
    Scout Class = 20$
    Deluxe Class = 30$
    Voyager = 59$
    Leader = 110$
    Supreme (Devastator) = 236$

Now stop complaining about your great canadian prices please.. :(