Why are Superheroes Wimps?

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Darthbane2007, Sep 28, 2009.

1. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 Optimus, serving up the primest of ribs since 1984

News Credits:
    I don't think that having the restraint to not kill some twisted S.O.B. who richly deserves to die makes a super hero a wimp.

Look at Batman and The Punisher 2 characters with very similar reason for doing what they do criminal murdered their respective families both chose to hunt down criminals to avenge said deaths but they handle it in 2 different ways where as Batman never kills and won't use a gun ( an inthe batman beyond series his having no choice but to resort to a gun is why he retired the cowl ) The Punisher on the other hand has a full arsenal at his disposal and has no problem using it to waste criminals neither is a wimp, in fact id love to see a Batman / Punisher crossover.

It takes great strength to not cross the line from hero to villain especially for one such as Batman

2. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

There's like 2 or 3. Punisher tries to kill Joker.

3. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

Barry Allen did killed Professor Zoom. Hal Jordan killed Sinestro. Irnoically, they both snapped the necks of their respective enemies.

Oh and good reason why Batman shouldn't kill the Joker? JLA: Another Nail. Joker took over hell after he was killed by the Bat, and then came back for him.

4. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 Optimus, serving up the primest of ribs since 1984

News Credits:
    ah okay did not know XD don't read comics like i used to

5. Beastbot X

Beastbot X Old skool. In a lot of ways.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ...Oh, you have got to be kidding me.

See, this is why I read all of 4 comics a month outside of TFs.

6. johnboy3434

johnboy3434 Well-Known Member

Now, see, this is what I don't like: a writer takes a single instance of a stance or method they don't agree with backfiring horribly (and really, if a plotline ever ends with the Joker commanding the legions of the damned, SOMEONE FUCKED UP), and then they go and apply it to the method as a whole. It's tantamount to saying that this specific sequence of events would happen if one of the "no-kill rule" heroes ended up killing anyone.

This is similar to Dinobot's situation in the first season of Beast Wars. In the vast majority of situations, the advice that he gives Optimus would be at worst sound and at best superior to Optimus' own tactics. Unfortunately, he turns out to be wrong all the time because specific and utterly unpredictable circumstances render his tactics ineffective. It's blatantly obvious that the writers' intended message is that Dinobot's way of thinking is either wrong or too extreme, but the message that actually comes through is that Optimus is the luckiest bastard to ever set foot on a battlefield.

7. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

Actually, it was a damn good story with great art. Quite frankly, anyone that reads TF comics has no reason to roll their eyes at any other comic story.

Besides, heaven and hell is a frequently visited subject matter. Mephisto, Nekron, Hades, and Preacher are just a few to come to mind. If you think about it, Joker is exactly the type of character that would use hell to his advantage.

No, this really wasn't an instance of that. In JLA: The Nail, Batman kills Joker in a fit of rage after the Joker kills Robin and Batgirl. While this is Batman finally breaking his one rule the actual cause isn't the killing of his sidekicks, but the absence of Superman as a hero (he was raised by Amish instead of the Kents). The absence of Superman is the Nail that radically changes the DC Universe...i.e. Superman is DC's moral compass.

Of course The Nail was successful, which demanded a sequel. Part of that was Joker taking over hell, which was part of something larger going on that I can't remember at this time.

8. johnboy3434

johnboy3434 Well-Known Member

Oh. Well that makes more sense. Superman is easily my favorite superhero because, to me, he represents everything a superhero should be. In this fanfic I'm writing (which will either never be finished or end up a tangled mess if it is finished), the main character, upon gaining superpowers, tries to model his every action around what he thinks Superman would do. He fails miserably, but that's another story. I think I need to pick up The Nail and see where that story goes.