Why are Superheroes Wimps?

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Darthbane2007, Sep 28, 2009.

1. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

Well, that´s why I read GLC, the Corps has been very effective with the new Lethal Force.

2. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    Maybe because he wasn't asking why the publishers don't kill them off. He was asking about the characters reasons for not doing so.

Now please stop trying act like you're better than everyone else, while posting on a message board dedicated to childrens toys. :) 

Green Lanterns aren't actually super heroes. They're cops.

3. amd098

amd098 En taro Artanis!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    actually for the GLC, lethal force has had them spreading fear, and so they are playing right into sinestro's hands again

4. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

You try tell that to some of the rabid fans. They bitch and moan about this new law.

5. Optimus1986

Optimus1986 TMNT & Hulk Fanatic

Good guys don't kill, unless there is absolutely and positively no other option. Like when Wonder Woman killed Maxwell Lord.

6. Darthbane2007

Darthbane2007 Well-Known Member

But isn't letting the joker live kinda undermine the whole thing? Jut so he can break out, kill more innocent people, it all going in a vicious cycle?

7. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
  8. libeskind

libeskind Well-Known Member

I'd like to think heroes don't kill baddies in that they believe everybody has in them capacity for good and redemption. Think, Son Gokou and Dragonball baddies: from Kulilin to Piccollo to Vegeta to Majin Buu. Sure it doesn't work all the time, but still.

I know, I know: "But Son Gokou's not a super hero, he's an alien monkey!"

9. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

Actually western (in the geo-cultural sense) good guys don't kill. Ever read the Manga Spider-man? Where Spidey kills Electro at the end of the first arc.

10. Dran0n

Dran0n miss me w/ that

News Credits:
    Letting people live is Batman's thing. I personally can't say the same about all superheroes.

11. GigatronSama

GigatronSama Mr. Insomnia Veteran

Because if Spidey killed people, the Punisher would be out of work of course. And on that topic, look at the antiheroes who do kill people. It pretty much makes them borderline psychotic walking lumps of misery. Just look at what it's done to The Punisher. Deadpool isn't that much better off aside from having a twisted sense of humor to deal with it.

12. Murasame

Murasame 村雨

News Credits:
    It's the Punisher's or Wolverine's job to kill people. Preferably Wolverine's, because he's the best at what he does and what he does isn't very nice...

13. deathsheadx

deathsheadx Well-Known Member

very funny can you please state where i was acting like i was better than everyone else?

please.

i was stating a fact which is the core truth to the whole issue. i mean let me give you an example of how the in universe rules are fickle.

guy gardner.

back during his warrior stint guy killed major force with no remorse or reprecussions.

then when he's back in the corps he goes on a black ops mission and is suddenly against killing and proud he didn't

and now he's back to killing again.

the rules and reasoning given in story is irrelevant because the lines are changed so frequently.

batman started off using guns and i'm not certain but may of even killed crooks. his story is revamped so he doesn't use guns, and then people get upset, scream that it's against character for him to pull a gun and shoot darkseid.

hell the beast from the xmen is suddenly genocidal.

bishop went from using lethal force to not using lethal force, from clearly preventing his future from coming to be, to a madman who is hunting down a little girl because of something that happened in a timeline he himself erased?

the reasoning is so fluid that somewhere down the line someone will have the bright idea to have superman or batman kill, someone will off the joker(he'll come back) as long as there is money to be made the themes and plots will move in the direction of best profit.

14. Opticron Primal

Opticron Primal Comin' up OOOs!

News Credits:
    There you go.

15. Caterwaul

Caterwaul Busou Shinki Loremaster

You know, if the police started gunning down criminals without due process, people would be up in arms. There's a reason that procedure is there, even if sometimes it lets bad people get away with doing bad things.

As is, I think you're REALLY glossing over the psychology involved. It is VERY hard for someone to actually kill someone else. A lot of military training is there to break down the psychological barriers that keep us from doing this, and soldiers and police officers who kill others often need counseling after the fact to help them out with their state of mind afterwards.

And then there's the legal ramifications. Unless you're a soldier in a war, or a police officer, killing someone is either murder, or manslaughter. Both are serious breaches of the law. The police would need to arrest them, even if they might want to gloss this over. Many of them arent going to want this hassle. Should I mention how many states and countries do not allow capital punishment?

16. deathsheadx

nope don't see it. i stated a fact as i saw it, never once implied i'm better or smarter.

17. megatronkicksas

megatronkicksas Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Crazy parents who would freak out if their kid saw blood

18. Coeloptera

Coeloptera Big, bad beetle-bot

The original question asked is very, very obviously asked in a metafictional context and you somewhat condescendingly answered using reasoning that is not, when it was patently rather obvious that we are all quite aware of the actual, real-world reasoning.

There ya go. Moving on now.

- Coeloptera

19. Mechafire

Mechafire Shadow Broker Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    :lol  at thread.

20. deathsheadx

there was a reason for that.

the in universel context changes too much i mean birthright turned superman into a vegan because he could see souls.