Why are Superheroes Wimps?

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Darthbane2007, Sep 28, 2009.

1. Darthbane2007

Darthbane2007 Well-Known Member

Okay, I've got this theory, but work with me here.

Do you ever wonder why Criminals like the Joker or Lex Luthor continue to wreak havoc again and again? How they can cause considerable damage and get away with jut a slap on the wrist?

Because they know the Superheroes will not do a thing!

Think about it! This applie to everybody. The Joker can kill load of people with his Joker gas or venom, and the only thing Batman does is gve him over the the GCPD which i shown to be horribly corrupt. Whynot make an example nd beat him to a bloody pulp to deter future criminals from doing misdeeds?

2. Opticron Primal

Opticron Primal Comin' up OOOs!

News Credits:
    Um, because that's not who Batman is?

If all the heroes do what you're implying then they're be no better then the villains.

There are already characters that beat bad guys to a pulp. Punisher, Deadpool, Hellboy, Rorschach, etc.

Most have standards. Spider-Man, Superman, Batman, Captain America, etc.

3. Forum Shark

Forum Shark Well-Known Member

I agree with the above post, to a point, anyway. I think that at some point, enough is enough. The Joker, for example, should have been killed by now.

4. JetRaid

JetRaid Jhet Rheyd

News Credits:
    Batmans #1 rule is to not kill anyone. Real superheroes don't kill people or damage them to the point where they might die.

5. Darthbane2007

Darthbane2007 Well-Known Member

So what' the point of keeping supervillians alive or letting them get away with a lap on the writ only for them to go out and commit more bad deeds?

6. Opticron Primal

News Credits:
    Because maybe people still like the villains your refering to?

Could you imagine if DC decided to kill off the Joker?

Superheroes and Villains only exist in media. I'm sure if they were real every villain who commited mass murder or mass destruction would be either locked away as tightly as possible or given the death penalty.

7. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, Batman killing/severely injuring the Joker, or Superman killing/severely injuring Lex Luthor just doesn't fit with their characters; that's not how they operate and it's against their moral code.

Now, I do find it hard to believe that other people or superbeings don't take care of some of these villains. I mean, the Spectre seems to spend most of his time going after and punishing people with a handful (or less) of murders/rapes/whatever, yet the Joker is apparently completely off his radar. Or that some of the families of Joker's victims don't pool their money and hire a super-assassin to kill him. Hell, or that some random cop doesn't just shoot Joker in the face the next time he's arrested and Batman is out of earshot. I can understand not wanting to kill off a popular villain, and keeping the different titles' spheres of influence relatively separate, but it stretches credibility that some of these villains haven't been taken out yet.

8. JetRaid

JetRaid Jhet Rheyd

News Credits:
    The joker is a criminal mastermind, he always has a plan B.

9. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

So, when a post actually deserves the facepalm.gif or the coolstorybro.gif you fail to deliver?

You guys are terrible.

10. Op_Prime

Op_Prime One With The Matrix TFW2005 Supporter

Imagine this, you have these bunch of guys with powers far beyond that of us mere mortals and they help to catch criminals and deliver them to the proper channels to be judged, never crossing over a certain line, that is resorting to kill and maim them. But what if they do cross the line, what if they decide to be judge, jury and executioner, free to pass judgment and impose their own version of the law upon others. Who is to say their concept of justice is beneficial to general masses, what if its all warped and they end up passing wrong judgment on the innocent, whether intentionally or by accident. Won't you, if you were just a guy living in a universe populated by such super powered beings fear them?

That's the important distinction most superheroes must make, they deliver criminals to justice, to let the system judge them, rather than forcing their own brand of justice on others. Sure the system may not be perfect, supervillains escape all the time, but once you choose to ignore it, you are saying that you are above the law and that kind of vigilantism will only invite fear and retaliation from ordinary citizenry. And the last thing people with the power to level whole city blocks need is the distrust of the very people they are trying to serve.

11. Switch625

Switch625 "Up, up, and away!"

It doesn't matter how many imaginary people the Joker kills. He still makes a butt-load of money for DC/WB and he isn't going anywhere.

12. Opticron Primal

News Credits:
    Exactly why I said it.

And just to keep Twist happy....

[​IMG]

13. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

:lol 

Thank you <3

14. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Three words. Majestros. Marvelman. V.

I think I've mentioned this before, but I like to think that Batman was strangling the Joker at the end of 'The Killing Joke'. Simply because he realized that the Joker was beyond redemption.

15. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    V isn't a super hero.

16. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Actionmaster Super Mod

News Credits:
    yeah, heroes just don't do that...if they did, there'd be no villians left...unless of course they came back as Black Lanterns...

17. Coeloptera

Coeloptera Big, bad beetle-bot

Squadron Supreme.

Supreme Power.

It's been explored, and the end result is usually a terrible world with power-mad super-dictators at the helm.

Myself, I think Batman and Superman don't tend to kill the worst of the worst because for them the question is, "Why stop now?".

Batman ices the Joker one week. A year later he's casually slashing Crazy Quilt's throat with a batarang.

As for Superman, who in their right mind wants him behaving like Black Adam?

There's a reason real-world LEO's aren't allowed to just gun criminals down unless they're protecting themselves or others, even if said criminal has just finished killing people. If the threat is not immediate, they aren't allowed.

Ever read Kingdom Come, Darthbane2007? Magog was a great example of why they don't do that sort of thing.

Oh yeah, also, what if they make a mistake? What if Superman erroneously believes some supervillain killed a busload of nuns when said villain actually teleported them somewhere and didn't disintegrate them? Can't really put the guy's splattered brains back in his charred head, can we?

There's also the issue of burden of proof. The public at large doesn't know the depths of Luthor's deeds. Summarily killing him would look pretty bad.

There's also the issue of escalation. If a supervillain knew that Batman would absolutely try to kill them in a confrontation, the "game" would escalate, wildly. Look at the reaction to the JLA mind-wiping villains. The Society became stronger then ever and it precipitated the latest Crisis. All because the League's behavior created a situation that such an escalation could occur in. I mean, look at the supervillain community's reaction to the mind-wiping of this guy:

[​IMG]

Lots of good reasons for the heroes not to just start offing villains.

- Coeloptera

18. johnboy3434

johnboy3434 Well-Known Member

Coeloptera summarized it beautifully. Say you only kill the worst of the worst, right? Well, after doing that for a while, the "worst of the worst" are significantly less bad than they were a year ago, but even if YOU stop, you've set a precedent for all the less scrupulous "heroes" out there to take out anyone who looks at them funny. And what are the police going to do about it? You're a super hero. They can't contain you. In such a situation, you have an obligation to handle everyone with kid gloves, since you're basically immune to legal consequences.

19. Beastbot X

Beastbot X The Toad Knows.

News Credits:
    They don't kill villains because the villains have to live to fight another day to keep the series going.

20. deathsheadx

deathsheadx Well-Known Member

can i call fail on this thread?

i mean i'm watching people spew in universe reasons for why heroes dont kill. which is honestly bullshit.

those in universe reasons don't matter one iota.

simply put the only reason a villian like the joker and lex live is cold hard cash.

these charactera make money for their respective companies so it's bad business to kill them off thats the reason. the in universe stuff for not killing is just excuses.