Why are people selling the Botcon exclusive TFs...

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by EMP Starscream, Jun 18, 2014.

1. EMP Starscream

EMP Starscream Arbiter of TFW2K5

News Credits:
    on Ebay?

If I was ever able to go to one of those things I would keep mine.

2. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Jumpin' Jellyfish! Super Mod

News Credits:
    Some people see it as going to the con for free, but most do it to make a quick buck. BotCon figures can go for a pretty penny, especially while the con is going on.

3. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    Yep. For a lot of people, it's a way to help pay for the convention itself. They may even get two sets. One to keep, and one to sell to help pay for the trip. I've done it numerous times.

4. LegendAntihero

LegendAntihero Banned

cause they can make money from selling exclusives

5. Yaujta

Yaujta NOT Randy Butternubs. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    $500 dished out for figures you may not really care about to get $500 worth of merchandise at the convention that you do care about.
    Not to mention technically getting in for free.
    Hmmm... let me do the math.

If Botcon ever came to the east coast, I'd drop the exclusives so fast that I would never be able to say I actually owned them.

6. IgnikaMarcus

IgnikaMarcus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    If Botcon came to the East Coast again, it'd be a dream come true.
    But it seems people need a bit more sense. If you're not interested in the figures at all, and you're just going to sell them to recoup the money you spent to go, here's an idea. Don't go. Better idea, buy a package that doesn't include the figures.

7. Big Dawg

Big Dawg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm pretty sure people determined that if they are diligent at the con and even buy the expensive golden ticket they can essentially pay for their trip just selling the exclusives.

8. Datsun87

Datsun87 Doomed shuttle casualty

Don't forget about upcoming releases. Years ago Razorclaw was a Botcon exclusive retool. Guess what started to show up on eBay in mass when the 3rd party Predaking wars started...

9. Vaikyuko

Vaikyuko Transmetal

You'll also find certain figures have massively inflated in price over time. Speculation is best on rare and unique figures. While some, like the abovementioned Razorclaw, are not the best examples, look at BotCon 2006 DOFP and the Megs/Waspinator two-pack. Together one could reasonably expect two thousand dollars for them. That's several BotCons.

10. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    You should get the right to buy extra bagged sets with a box... so it's a chance to recoup costs - but I would imagine there are some people who got burned on Blastcharge.

11. NemiMonkey

NemiMonkey Whippin Dem Fungals

News Credits:
    Some people just want to go to Botcon, but don't necessarily care for all the figures. It's a relatively easy way to ensure your not stuck with figures you have no interest in while recouping some of the money you spent on the trip.

Heck if you go to any of the Botcon threads you probably will find 1 or 2 people looking to part out sets.

12. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    If it was a choice between $1000 and some figures I wasn't too keen on to begin with that just happened to be "rare", it wouldn't be that tough a choice for me to take the money.

13. jestermon

jestermon Well-Known Member

Nope and you could use it to buy more of what you wanted.

14. Chaos Prime

Chaos Prime Combaticon

It's for a quick buck. Some ppl might be fans of Transformers, but might not be toy collectors. So might as well sell those exclusives for cash. Most likely I would keep mine, however Botcon doesn't visit the East Coast, and I have no means to travel to the West. So it will be Ebay for me to get my hands on those figures.

15. kibble

kibble Seeker style, yo!

It's funny...it's one of the few things people don't get all bent out of shape about people 'scalping'...

16. uruseiranma

uruseiranma Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Some figures never depreciate in value...like Shattered Glass Rodimus. I've never seen him priced under $300 in ages.

Though this year, I have a feeling Scorponok is going to be the one figure that every other person is going to get that boxset for. He could probably fetch upwards of $400 or more during the first days of Botcon.

17. flatline72

flatline72 Banned

News Credits:
    i've picked up 6 blastcharges off ebay in the last 4 months for about $30 a pop not counting shipping....

and that was a figure that cost $75 originally.

18. shiftypenguin

shiftypenguin Fancy-Pantsless Dancer

News Credits:
    I've flipped exclusives to pay for my trip too. Why keep a figure that you don't want when you can get it to someone who does and recoup some of the cost?

That being said, if anyone wants to unload their Devcon or Cannoball my way I'm willing to chat.

19. Repainted

Repainted Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, I had that set and Tigatron for a number of years. Ultimately they were collecting dust and while I liked having them around, I needed money for other things and while I am working, I needed a little more money quick and decided it had to go. I did look into getting the Megatron/Waspinator exclusives too when I originally got them, but they stayed at a ballooned rate far from my reach for a long time. So, in a way, not being able to reasonably afford the entire set and not having gone to that 'Con, it made my existing acquisitions a little less worthwhile to hang onto. Besides, things like that as I've often read, become currency later on. For example, if like me, someone's starting or increasing in family members, then it really isn't as much about greed.

20. Rattrap Primal

Rattrap Primal Geek Overlord

With some characters who where Exclusive a few years ago getting wide release (Ironhide, Springer, Ratchet, Thundercracker, Thrust, Dirge, Chromia, Arcee) collectors I guess are selling the Rare figures for the ones that are common and cheaper