Why Are My Pretenders "Freckled"?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Lunar Archivist, Oct 24, 2009.

1. Lunar Archivist

Lunar Archivist Well-Known Member

As I was doing inventory recently, I noticed something strange about several of the Pretender shells in my junker bin. A number of them had these unusual brown "freckles" all over the lighter-colored plastic parts (Bumblebee's arms, Skullgrin's skull, etc.). At first, I thought this was simply a matter of them having belonged to a smoker who'd gotten smoldering cigarette ash all over them, but then I started noticing the same thing on the Pretenders I owned as a kid, such as Submarauder (arms) and Iguanus (belt).

I'm not sure what to make of this. One of my eBay seller friends suggested it might be some kind of fungus, but I'm not sure that's it. My Pretenders spent nearly 20 years on a shelf in my room, which is not damp, moist, or dark, and I don't smoke at all. It could just be a weird defect in the plastic, though. Has anyone else run into this problem before?

2. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Jumpin' Jellyfish! Super Mod

News Credits:
    My Jazz, 'Bee, and Waverider have the same problem. I always thought it was something about how that particular type of white plastic ages.

3. Hiro Prime

Hiro Prime Cybertronian Guru Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    That's just the way that type of soft plastic ages. The Pretender Monsters shells are even worse. It'll soon be very rare if not impossible for any of those old shells to be spotless.

I keep hoping that one day, Hasbro or Takara will redo them using better plastics.

4. TheBigMachine

TheBigMachine Initiating JAZZ HANDS!

News Credits:
    Actually, Hasbro was shooting for pure authenticity of "disguise" all those years ago when they made the Pretender shells. Since, real people age and get "age spots" it only made since that a pretender would also get age spots to blend in. It would be weird if they never aged, then the humans they're trying to stay disguised around would start to notice something was awry. Frankly, Hasbro is freakin' genius. Expect the Pretender shells to probably start dying in the next 60+ years from old age and heart disease followed by rapid decomposition, unless, of course they are embalmed.

5. megamus

megamus Overworked and Underpaid Veteran

News Credits:
    Deterioration of the plastic. Yep in the future you probably will not be able to find one that is not spotted. I have seen them sealed on the card and still spotted. Makes me wonder what is gonna happen to everyones collection. Afterall they were just made as toys, not to last forever...

6. Lunar Archivist

Well, as long as it's not something I'm responsible for or can somehow prevent...

7. Hyperoptic

Hyperoptic G1-Junkie

News Credits:
    -BSS-
    Banana Skin Syndrome

8. Lunar Archivist

And a new term has been coined. :) 

9. Razorclaw

Razorclaw Are ya gonna draw pistols

I think it's the same thing as with old MOTU toys. I found a Stonedar figure with such spots.