why are most kids these days so bloody dumb and lazy?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lumpy, Feb 21, 2008.

1. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Actionmaster Super Mod

News Credits:
    as some of you may recall, i'm a middle school teacher. and currently teaching a creative writing course (which is totally awesome to me)

however, i have so many kids that just dont bloody care about doing anything...even when i tell them they can write anything they want about anything they want...this generation seems so lazy and just wants everything given to them without truly working for it. it drives me nuts.

in my 6th period i have a group of about 15 (of 27 total) who choose to do NOTHING every day...and they will fail this 9 weeks, and then (this is the best part) the parents will be pissed at me cuz their kid is a dumbshit who doesnt do anything...we really need a major overhaul in education here in the US...all these standards and AYP (annual yearly progress, IIRC) just force principals to push through most of the kids who dont deserve to go on, and only really hold back the complete failures....it really bums me out...and the pay doesnt help either...

i've seriously been considering going back to school to get more experience with digital art and moving into that field. sony is building a new studio out here, and they are going to be looking into hiring a ton of people in the next year...then i could be doing something really freakin sweet, and getting paid well enough for it....

and its not just at this school, ive taught at 3 schools, as well as subbed at numerous schools before that, and its the same thing everywhere....ugh...its so frustrating...i was in high school less then ten years ago, and i recall each class having one or two 'trouble' kids, but now it seems like the number has just grown exponentially, and will probably just continue to suffer as well....

the only real saving grace is the 4-5 kids per class that absolutely LOVE this class...and they turn in some really amazing work...i wish i could just have them in class, and everyone else could be shipped off somewhere....

thats my rant...

2. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Jumpin' Jellyfish! Super Mod

News Credits:
    If it makes you feel any better (or worse), it doesn't get any better once they grow up.

I teach college courses and I have students just staring out the window and such during lectures. And I teach elective courses like Film Studies and Animation History, so in theory they should WANT to be in there. No surprise when half of them flunk out due to absences and test grades that are younger than they are.

I bet I could go into class one day, promise any student who pays attention the entire class period that day an "A" and ten bucks and I'd still be giving out bad grades and leave with my wallet intact.

3. Dirge121

Dirge121 Eat the chikums

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    The Film class I'm in has students like that. They spend most of the lesson chatting or texting, and quite a few just dont turn up. Same with my Media classes.

Meh, their loss.

4. Lumpy

News Credits:
    yeah, my class is an elective as well....which doesnt mean as much since there arent as many electives to choose from in middleschool....but man, i cant imagine being bored in film studies and animation history..but then again, i'm a geek for that stuff....

5. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    I always wanted to take creative writing back in Jr. High, but they had gotten rid of it..shame really.

I gotta agree with you. I've noticed that in a lot of my classes...most people just plain mess around the whole time. I've gotten lucky that with my classes there really isn't much work in them..so you'd think they'd bother to do what little we have (I mean for God's sake, one of my classes we just watch films and people still were failing -_-).

6. Lord Megatron

Lord Megatron FFFF

<i>i'm a middle school teacher</i>

There's your problem.

As long as you grade them properly on the work they do, they'll get what's coming to them. And Mommy and Daddy can't save them forever.

7. Lord Megatron

Lord Megatron FFFF

Double post

8. Deceptikitty

Deceptikitty all about the hasubandos

I was in high school with a lot of winners. It seems the philosophy of hard work has disappeared. It's more of an "I DESERVE this and shouldn't work for it" attitude. It's amazing in college the people that are outraged, just outraged, that they got a low grade for a class they didn't show up to just because they pay tuition. It makes me feel good, though, when people tell me I have a great work ethic for someone my age. At least I'm trying to better my generation. :( 

9. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Not calling you out, but I honestly consider the overall state of public education today to be a sociopolitical issue.

That being said, I think what you're talking about has more to do with just middle-school aged kids being middle-school aged kids. I don't think this generation is any different from the last--it's just a question of perspective.

10. The621

The621 Fuck you, that's why!

News Credits:
    There's little to look forward to with this generation.

11. Lumpy

News Credits:
    can you explain the first part more?

12. Blaster_Prime

Blaster_Prime drank the last beer

parents these days are just as lazy and or too busy to raise their kids for the most part, and that's where the problem stems. (no offense to those who actually ARE good parents) It's the same reason we have had all this controversy about censorship. Instead of raising their kids themselves and deciding what they should and shouldn't watch like a good parent, they'd rather the decision be made by the government instead.

When I have kids, I'm raising them the exact same way I was raised. If I don't want them watching/listening/playing something, they don't play it...and if I found out they did, I will punish them fittingly.

And to all the good parents out there...THANK YOU for putting in the effort and actually taking the time to raise your kids right. If only the rest of the country put in that kind of effort you do.

Just to clarify my definition of a "good parent"

1. Disiplines and lays down guidlines
    2. Helps guide the child through attention and support
    3. Makes sure the child does what they should such as school work, and makes sure they aren't doing what they shouldn't by actually TALKING with your child and making sure they know what is and isn't acceptable as well as backing it up with disipline
    4. Sheilding child from inappropriate material through careful monitoring of TV/Music/Videogames. How hard is it to just turn off the TV or simply NOT BUY your kid the latest GTA?

13. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Totally agree here. When I was in middle school in the late 80s, there were certain classes that just happened to have the laziest, most destructive kids in them. We had one class where almost every kid would do horrid shit to that poor teacher - throw stuff at him, throw stuff out the windows, carve up the desks, put condoms on the classroom door, we were just awful.

Middle school teachers should be happy that lazy and inattentive is ALL they get.

14. DaggersRage

DaggersRage Autistic bastard.

Hey, I dont mean to fall asleep in class. I'm taking my notes, doing my best to pay attention and.... ZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzz

DAMNIT it happened again! Sorry! :D 

15. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Of course.

By "not calling you out," I meant I wasn't trying to suggest you were intentionally being political here, just that to me, legitimate discussion about the state of public education in this country is inherently very political.

But if you meant for me to clarify what specifically about the topic I think is political, then I'm sorry, I don't feel that it would appropriate here. That being said, after my test tomorrow, I can cheerfully PM you my opinions. :D 

16. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    Maybe it is just your perspective? You have been teaching for a few years now and maybe you are less interested with the students that are, say, not as interested. This is not to say that you are not a great teacher, but more so that you notice the kids that don't do anything more and more.

As for the solution...I dunno. I almost wish that I could do school over again (a la Billy Madison) just because I was not engaged and really pre-occupied with being a teenager, chasing girls etc. I feel that I missed out on stuff wish I could 'try' it again.

I feel that is I went back I would appreciate it a lot more (including a creative writing class…that would be awesome!)

17. Lumpy

News Credits:
    oh okay, yeah now i see...i forgot about the no politics rule...got it...and yeah, a PM would be sweet....

18. Frognal

Frognal Prodigal Son Returned

Start calling them by their future job positions. "Okay group 1 will be Jason, Matt, Jamie, and Michael. Group 2 will be Jizzmopper, Crackwhore, StreetBum, and Dead in a ditch."

19. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

See, this is the kinda statement I'm not sure I understand.

What makes this generation so fundamentally different from previous ones?

I just feel like this is such a cliched response of some individuals (full disclosure, I'm 26) to generations younger than them. And I don't see how today's youth are any more predisposed to abject failure than the youth of the past.

20. Synical

Synical Well-Known Member

Not everyone can go on to do great things, in fact, very few can. Without people to do all the "menial" work out there, our society would cease to be. I think a lot of these people simply don't desire to waste time in school when they know where they stand.

Not everyone has hidden potential, they'er just people. I knew all I needed to know by the end of middle school. After a year and a half of high school, I dropped out. I never paid attention or did any work but I was never rude or impolite to my teachers. I had a high IQ and they pushed me because of it, but I just didn't want what they wanted for me.

That was ten years ago. I now have a regular job and a regular life, and I'm perfectly happy. I never wanted great things for myself, and knowing that, I got started early on my average life. I have never looked back or regretted leaving, not once. I think that If a kid doesn't want to be in school after a certain point, they should just leave, but too many parents and teachers expecting "great things" from their kids force them through the wringer.

Just focus on the kids that want to learn, that have a desire to be more, that have the talent and the potential, and let the others go, they'll make their own way, and if they make bad choices, they'll pay the consequences. I never cared for having loads of cash and/or fame or any of those luxeries, I just wanted to live my life and enjoy the simple aspects of it. Some people work so hard and long to be something, that they lose out on that. I'm successful at being happy, and that's good enough for me.