Why are most DOTM figs shotty?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by TedimusPrime, Mar 29, 2011.

1. TedimusPrime

TedimusPrime Well-Known Member

You know, as bad as the second movie was at least it had relatively good toys. And while there are a DOTM figures that look fantastic, so many of them look like two steps backwards. Less paint, less engineering, less appeal.

Why is this? I'm willing to accept a reasonable explanation, but why does a good part of the DOTM figures look like they are using pre TFTM engineering?

2. The Bucket Kitten

The Bucket Kitten Meow... TFW2005 Supporter

The reason I can think of are the Mech-tech weapons they come with affected the budget.

3. Angelwave

Angelwave Physical Maintenance.....

News Credits:
    Yep...I'm sure this is the main reason. Skyhammer is not so bad though.

4. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Translatorminator

News Credits:
    Pre-TFTM engineering? I don't think so.

5. BigPhill

BigPhill Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    They're meant to be simpler toys that appeal to kids. After al lthe toyline IS for kids.

Imagine as a parent you give your kid a toy that they can't Transform, and which takes you over 20 minutes to complete.
    Now imagine another which your kid can do, and takes them 30 seconds tops, without bothering you.

I know which one most parents would buy.

6. UnicronFTW

UnicronFTW Don't blink.

News Credits:
    I assume that the mondo-burger guns they come with may of had an adverse affect on their budget. Therefore cutting back on size, paint, etcetera.
    I think the engineering however, and it's simplifacation, is due to how batshit crazy the transformations have been lately...
    ROTF Leader Prime? Generations WFC Prime? Do you think theres even ONE kid who didn't have to ask mommy or daddy for help, every, single, time, he wanted one or the other modes?
    So...
    Paint and Size downgrading = Budget

Engineering downgrading = Kids having to much trouble with their figures.

7. TedimusPrime

Man, that sucks if it cuts into the budget that much

I can see that, but if they are trading the toys in for simpler transformations I wish it would reflect in their paint budget. I just can't see mechtech weapons cutting in that much... or maybe it is. I don't know, I just wanted to get an understanding.

8. TedimusPrime

Maybe a bit harsh, but take something like that ultimate prime, I just can't see why those arms are the way they are.

Then again the production run size may be effecting it as they are producing so many new molds it is cutting into the individual costs.

If anyone wants to know where this is coming from, I was just looking at the pictorial review for DOTM sideswipe. Now The first one from ROTF had MUCH better paint, gimmick, and was a pretty easy transformation. I just didn't understand.

9. BenjaminXavier

BenjaminXavier Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The GI Joe movie line seemed to suffer from this as well. For awhile all the figs came with crazy rocket launchers and the price went up $2.

10. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Translatorminator

News Credits:
    Ultimate is just the name of the size class and has nothing to do with the complexity of the toy...

11. TedimusPrime

Yea I guess, I just thought the two might correlate.

12. theestampede

theestampede Wandering Artist

News Credits:
    other than the lack of a real scout class and a few of the the deluxes, the DOTM toys look to be the best of the movie figures imo

totally disagree with the idea that they mostly look like crap

the lack of paint is annoying though, really hoping the plastic quality has improved.

13. wildfly

wildfly Lasers, 8 O'Clock, Day 1.

News Credits:
    We are being punished for the rotf leftovers

14. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Megatron? Is that you!?!?

More simple TF sequences are welcomed, however, I have an 11 year old step son who can TF ROTF Leader Prime with no problem. He actually reminded me how to properly TF the arms!

So not ALL kids have issues. I am not saying there are the ones who don't just that we shouldn't lump all kids into one group.

I really have to disagree, I think ROTF had the best representaions of the Characters. I mean HA Barricade, leader Prime and even HFTD Leader SS and HA Jazz blow most of DOTM out of the water.

I am looking forward to a couple figures, namely Shockwave, Sentinal Prime and Megs.

15. einis

einis Want some candy?

News Credits:
    this

seriously,it's not that bad.this line will get better after some time.
    ROTF didn't have the best toys at the beginning either

16. xanthax

xanthax choppaface

News Credits:
    Not all of them are bad. A few of them are REALLY good. Sentinel being one of them.

17. einis

einis Want some candy?

News Credits:
    really?all of them?including Sideways,Rampage,Demolishor,dlx twins,dlx ravage,Chromia(I like bike sisters ..but that toy was kinda meh...Arcee is much better.) , HA sideswipe , dlx Wheelie , original or recon Ih(sure ,these aren't bad toys..but they don't have the best representation of the character) ,voy. Megatron( I like that figure....but backpack kinda ruins it,plus wrong colors) , leader Megatron , leader Jetfire(could have been much better) ,dlx. Soundwave?I think there are even more...so yeah,not sure about this "best representations of the characters" thing

and HFTD doesn't count,imo

18. TedimusPrime

That could also be the case, but even the first wave of ROTF looked better than the end of TFTM. I just can't see that this time

Yea! Thing is there are a handful of the DOTM toys that I think look fantastic and have mechtech weapons! It's just some of them really fall behind.

The point that I'm trying to say is that many of us were expecting the DOTM toys to be playing off of the improvements the ROTF line and HFTD line set place. I'm just saying that in many cases it does not seem to be the case.

19. barrelks

barrelks Captain Funtastic

News Credits:
    11 year old is quite a step above their 5+ age recomendation. Try giving that toy to a 5 year old who is gonna be giving it to his non-transformers caring mom 10 minutes later asking her to transform it. I've seen many of the stuggles with both kids and parents. Hasbro illuded to the fact that they were getting complaints in one of their Q&As on adjusting the transformation difficulty levels.

20. TedimusPrime

But it's not like hasbo doesn't offer lines with easier transformation levels.