Why are comics so crazy?

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Recall, Jul 1, 2009.

1. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    This is a discussion thread, not a hating thread.

I'm not majorly into comics, I read TPB of things like Transformers but thats really it. Sometimes I really want to get into it all and follow a particular story that seems all the buzz yet its insanely hard to follow.

First instead of having say a single hero fighting a villian you have 37 heroes (whom you know nothing about) facing a villian. Why?

When there is a story arc, Say for Spiderman as an example why is it instead of the story going Spiderman #200 then into Spiderman #201 its actually goes something like. Spiderman #200 into Amazing Spiderman #67 into Mega Spiderboy #2 into Spiderman #202. Why? I can only imagine how fucking insane it must be to follow.

My Dad is huge into Superman so one birthday I bought him every TPB released at the time that followed the "infinite Crisis" story line thinking it would be something good to follow. But fuck no it was a jumbled mess of off-shoot stories that were barely related yet all advertised under the same banner. Why is that?

Is there like a noob guide on how to follow comics if so, let me know :D 

2. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

The trend you refer to was really more of a 90's thing, there is way less of it today, most (most, not all) stories are contained within one title nowadays, even during pretty big events.

3. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    Im pretty glad that here in Germany Marvel Comics are compiled to one magazin, that are in fact 4 or 5 US comics.

I wouldn't by a comic that thin. What the fuck is that? you read 1 minute and have read the whole comic and don't know what the fuck is going on?

When I was a kid comics were even thicker. Much more compiled than today, but the format was smaller than the US original.

But I think there are too much heros and villains.

If you keep in mind that it's one continuity where hundreds of people run around in happy coloured funny costumes... that looks quite silly.

And some of them look even silly when standing alone and you imagine them in real world.

But that are things you never thought about when being younger. Though I can't remember having so much heros in one comic when I was a kid. If the Hulk appears in a Captain America comic or some other freaking guy that was an event. But now? It is like a fighting soap opera.

Though I restarted reading comics when Civil War started. Before I stopped reading comics when I was 12, sometime about the events of Maximum Carnage. Though that was my favourite Spider-Man story...

4. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    Well I picked up the main Marvel Secret Invasion TPB up on the weekend, and I was expecting not to know everyone even though it featured like 96 characters but I'm not even sure where to go next to follow the story as there is some lose ends and other shit i'm sure worth picking up to get the most from it all.

So I did my research and there are like a billion (ok maybe 10) other Secret Invasion comics/TPB with no indication of where it fits and if it does as its making me feel unsure to drop the money to find out & see.

I suppose comics have naturally always been about jump in the deep end and try and work your way out. Even if making it all a little intimidating :) 

5. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

Yeah, that's an issue. If you don't care about Marvel characters, I suggest getting Invincible from TPB 1 onwards, amazing cape book.

6. Optimus_Prime84

Optimus_Prime84 Well-Known Member

DC Comics is really messed up with all their Crisis events, I would stay away from it unless you have alot of time to read the backstories online.

Marvel on the other hand has some books which are easy to get into.

7. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    If you're looking for a decent DC book, try the Green Lantern Sinestro Corps War. Green Lantern as a whole is a nice coherent series most of the time and Sinestro Corps is one of the best stories told.

8. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

And you can read GL or GLC independently and still know what's going on or read both and get a full spectrum of story. (no pun intended)