Why are alternators $20

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by iheartarcee, Oct 6, 2007.

1. iheartarcee

iheartarcee Idonotheartbeastwars

i dont get why alternators are 20. I started collecting when the movie came out and can swallow the prices pretty much any of the movie line is, but the alternators seem like they should be a good 15 or so, not quite 20. Anyone else? That prices has prohibited me from getting any of them and probably will in the future.. oh well..

2. Ruination04

Ruination04 8 Years Old Since 1984!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ummm...ok

As intricate as they are (or maybe I am just getting too old to TF them), I am surprised they're not more than $20.

3. dlatkow

dlatkow Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Nope, I would gladly continue to pay $20 for Alts if Hasbro would bring them back.

4. Moonstreaker

Moonstreaker The Evil Triplet

Ebay:
    $20 is a great price when you take into account the extensive engineering that went into the alts. You should go out and buy the WRX, and then you won't feel the same way about the line. Unless you are just a complete cheap ass...in which case you picked the wrong hobby.

5. vector

vector City Commander

Ebay:
    I very strongly have to agree. In my opinion the Alternator line was and is superior and $20 is worth it to keep such a fine toy on the shelves.

6. Angel Magnus

Angel Magnus Well-Known Member

Alternators are some of the most heavily engineered Transformers that have ever been produced, and the most detailed, accurately replicating a real-life vehicle down to the brake calipers, while offering extreme amounts of articulation in robot mode. Only Masterpiece compares.

If you can find an Alternator for $20, you should buy it. With the line discontinued, most of them have shot up in price (irrespective of actual rarity in some cases).

Hell, if you can find a non-transforming 1:24-scale model of one of the Alternator car models for $20, you should buy that too.

7. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    What are you basing this conclusion on? If it's just the size of the figure, that doesn't directly correlate to price point; besides the fact most Alternators are roughly the same size as movie Ironhide or Ratchet...both figures that were $20. Alternators specifically have additional costs associated with the engineering and paying license fees to the car companies in order to use the vehicle mode likenesses.

8. ShortCircuit

ShortCircuit Decepticon

I totally feel 20 is a great price. I think they are worth 2 deluxes for sure IMO. When I compare em to say...a voyager class, I believe alts have a slight edge on them as far as looks, and transformation. I dunno, Im a car guy so I feel more attached to alts anyways. I say BRING EM ON HASBRO! I cant find them anywhere anymore locally to tell you the truth.

9. pscoop

pscoop Dead inside

News Credits:
    I always felt that $20 was a completely fair price for what you got with an Alt. They are much bigger and more complex than the $10 deluxe class.

10. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    I would love to have paid $20 for an alt.

11. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Alts are the greatest TFs ever, how dare you complain about the price.

12. iheartarcee

iheartarcee Idonotheartbeastwars

woah didnt expect the love for alts.. All i saw was skids today and I just wasnt impressed with him nib.. I guess Id have to transform one of two of them before I get an opinion like that. Thanks for the words! Ill definitely pick it up.

13. Lord Of Tetris

Lord Of Tetris Well-Known Member

You found $20 Alternators??? WHERE!

14. Noisemaze2006

Noisemaze2006 Banned

I wonder if the prices will go back down eventually.

15. Omegatron

Omegatron Mandatory Fun. Buy it now TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I agree with everyone else. About the only two I felt like $20 was too much for were Ricochet and Rollbar- two fairly uninventive repaints. OTOH, Grimlock, Prowl, Smokescreen, Meister, and Mirage are all underpriced at $20 for being such fantastic toys. So, I guess it evens out.

-Tony!

16. Prowl_Delta_31

Prowl_Delta_31 Eating your donuts

News Credits:
    I think there is to dam much engineering going on with them. Some are just a pain in the ass to transform.

17. bouncing boy77

bouncing boy77 Syntax Error

i agree. i'll gladly pay $ 20 for alts too if hasbro brought them back. its worth it, considering the engineering that went into them, plus the rights hasbro had to pay to use real-life car models.

18. Erector

Erector I ruined the Hall of Fame

News Credits:
    qft. $40 alts in the UK minimum, so... there ya go.

19. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    No they're not worth $20 each. The magical elves of Hasbro should make them for $8 each because that's all they're worth./sarcasm

As intricate as Alts are, the fact we got them for $20 is nothing short of a miracle. [Though there aren't nearly as many toys] It's been the longest running single TF line since Beast Wars. The line was originally planned to have 6 Autobots and no Decepticons. Despite the success of the line [to an extent], Hasbro had to cancel the line due to the cost of tooling/profit margin.

If $20 each is too much, I'd suggest surfing the boards and/or ebay for some loose singles/lots. You might wind up getting some good deals. :)  I seriously doubt you'll be getting many Alts misb for $20 each again though.

20. Bumble Prime

Bumble Prime all the time

with voyagers getting smaller and smaller and holding the same price points, Alts are / were a steal at 20.