Why almost all Swap N Shop Listings are "Offers"

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by PorkChopKB, Sep 20, 2009.

1. PorkChopKB

PorkChopKB Bay Harbor Butcher

News Credits:
    I am not trying to piss people off.. but why in the hell is almost every single sales thread "open to offers" and not just priced out. You sellers for the most part know how much you are looking to get, so why not just put that down instead? Would save having to answer a million ?'s on "hey.. how much for this one and that one?". Not everyone here knows how much a figure should go for and how much to offer. Ebay is always overpriced so you can't go by that. I know that I pass some of sale listings because of the "offers only and no lowballing!"
    Again.. not everyone knows how much they should be.

Not trying to piss people off. Just trying to understand why so much of a runaround. Just put down how much you want for it.

2. Blitzwing256

Blitzwing256 Triple changer

You're dealing with people who grew up on ebay and are hoping some "noob" will offer them 500$ for thier one armed wheelie with no visor and missing a foot. trying to get the most for what they have just in case what they want is lower then what the person is willing to pay.

also they are lazy.

personally I skip any buy/sell thread with "offers" or no prices.

3. Sioce

Sioce Radicon in training

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Generally the person who names the price loses.
    The idea is: If I have a DVD version MP Prime that I'm looking to get $50 for. But there is someone on the boards who is rabid to have it and has $75 in hand and is ready to pay that. I just got an extra $25 above what I was hoping for.

Also you kind of answered your own question. Not everyone knows a fair price. I have seen some expensive and rare TFs on here that the seller is asking far less than they should. No one bothers to correct them, because we all jump on it if we see it.
    Asking for "offers" ensures that people will put some thought into what they are buying.
    And if it is a well sought after item, you may get 10 offers and decide which is best for you.
    I generally take the first reasonable offer. As I am a first come first serve type.
    I have priced my selling posts out and asked for offers. If I am unsure what something is worth...I ask for offers. If I know what I want for something, I price it.
    Seems that whether you price something or not all you get is offers though.
    "I know your MP prime is listed for $50 plus shipping. Would you sell it to me for $45 shipped?"
    I always get irritated with these kind of messages.

4. the (H)i(GH)con

the (H)i(GH)con raver-in-diguise

I agree 100% with what Sioce said.

5. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i always thought that things that are being sold are always being offered.
    it is called solicitation for a reason.
    ;p

6. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    or i know these 5 figures are $10 each, can you sell all of them to me for $20 shipped? people will always make offers, most of the time they will be unreasonable, but sometimes there are a bunch of people that will give you a reasonable offer, most of the time it's just one or two

7. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    I price things out and then leave it open to offers for people that don't like my prices.

Because no one is cheaper than the average TF collector, that "or make an offer" clause is pretty much key to making a sale. Even if it's $1 or a "free" upgrade to Priority shipping, people still want to see something thrown theie way.

8. blunghole

blunghole The Tapeworm of Unicron!

News Credits:
    I usually try to avoid buy/sell listings with no prices, but every once in a while I'll see something I really want with no price. It's at that point that I lowball. Yeah, I said it. I lowball. If it offends someone, so be it. If you didn't want a lowball offer, you should have listed the prices.

Just my two cents.

9. PorkChopKB

News Credits:
    with the "dvd mp prime" you just validated my point completely. You were "looking" to get 50 which means you would have taken less. But someone who was dying to have it made an offer of 75.00 which you knew was way too much, you took advantage of them imo and got and extra 25.00 from some unknowing noob. you were "looking" to get 50.00, so you already knew the price you wanted, so why not just put that down. You said that if you know what you want you put a price down.. but your example of the dvd set contradicts what you say you will do.

you're right I did answer my own? and you made my point again. The someone who sold a more rare figure for less than what it was. He/she had stated a price that they were comfortable selling it for.

I won't lowball someone on purpose, but I always ask "hey what do you want for it" and I always get a price back. That means they knew what they wanted for it and was hoping I was an idiot who would give more.

Again.. I am not trying to stir up trouble.. I just feel that if you are selling something than just put down a price..

10. PorkChopKB

News Credits:
    See to me if you want to stop the ridiculous offers than just put a price up. there are alot of members who will just offer an insanely low amount just to be a jerk. I can agree with that too.

Agreed... price things out and if someone ends up making an offer that you can live with that is good. I think that offers help make the sale.. but so do the prices. Potential buyers like me sometimes pass those threads up.

11. RoboticPlanet

RoboticPlanet Exclusively Exclusive

News Credits:
    pretty much this.

I rarely, RARELY waste my time PMing about unpriced items. I will always assume seller is waiting for some rube to offer top dollar which, if I wanted to pay that, would have already done so on eBay. And unless the seller explicitly says 'no haggling' when prices are listed then I will submit an offer (but not a lowball one), especially on multiple items. The Junkion isn't formal or professional enough to be above that.

12. PorkChopKB

News Credits:
    Me too. Like I said above.. everytime I send a pm to an offer thread saying "how much for it shipped?" I get a reply with a price. To me that means that the seller knows already how much they would take.

13. rustyshark

rustyshark G1 FTW

the thing that bothers me on here is with the shipping. i come from many other forums in which i made transactions for example i have a Tiburon show car and am on some Tib forums. The sales threads on that first off are made mandatory that you list a price if you post something for sale. I like that aproach alot. But I would much rather see people list prices and more so list prices shipped. For example someone may list a figure for 25 dollars and u may be like ok well thats a good price, but then you factor in shipping and then people ask for paypal fees and whatnot after the price they list. I think asking for paypal fees are ludacris IMHO. When you sale on ebay you cannot ask for paypal fees as apart of your transaction. I feel that should be outlawed as well.
    As a buyer we are trying to get the best deal possible, on here at times it seems that is not possible. So I have started to prefer ebay especially in bidding as opposed to buying it now. You upfront know the costs for shipping, they dont ask for paypal fees.
    I feel if the forums made listing prices and outlawing the 3 percent paypal request mandatory then things would go alot better on here.

14. Sioce

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I also have no idea what a dvd mp Prime goes for.
    For all I know it goes for $100. I was using that as an example. What I am hoping to get for an item is the minimum I will take for it. Everyone selling something is looking to make money. I'm not selling things so you can get a score. I'm selling it to make money for me. Hoping to get more than the minimum I'm willing to accept for an item is not wrong.
    If you think it is. Sorry.
    In my case personally, I have no idea what things are actually worth. I have been collecting since 1986 and the first figures I have ever sold have been in the last 3 months.
    I don't want to list a $500 dollar figure for $50 and get boned. Because like I said. No one would "come to my rescue" and say whoa dude your asking WAY to low. It would be "Hey I know you have this for $50 plus shipping. But would you do it for $45 shipped?" Get my point?
    Asking for offers (at least in my case) ensures that I get a chance at fair value for what I am selling.

15. Sioce

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The problem with listing with shipping is that shipping is not universal.
    Shipping across state is very different from shipping across country. Or internationally for that matter.
    The paypal thing is garbage. Plain out. I never read past "buyer pays 3% paypal fees" I would never charge for them, and I wouldn't pay for them.
    As for your example of the car. Had the guy listed the car for $7,000.00 when it is clearly worth $10,000.00 would you have been the good guy and said "hey that's a bit low" or said "hey I'll give you $6,500.00"
    Again, asking for offers ensures a chance at a fair price.
    Ebay is generally to high. So if I am unsure of a price I either ask, or look at ebay and cut about 20% off. If it doesn't sell, it goes lower....Or I ask for offers :p 

16. Soundblaster1

News Credits:
    As a veteran seller, making "shipped" prices doesn't always work. It costs me 2-3 times what it would normally cost me if I send something to SoCal. That's just the way it works. Anything this (the East coast, that is) side of the Rockies, it's one price. Cross the Rockies and it doubles. Go to SoCal and it triples. In some cases, I can send a package to the other side of the world for less than I can send it to the other side of the country AND still have it get to the other side of the world first.

5 of every 10 people that inquire about my stuff are in SoCal and the surrounding area, another 3 of 10 are international (throwing "shipped" prices out the window in most cases), and the other 2 then are within a reasonable distance.

I don't see why I as a seller either need to rob two of every 10 customers or take a loss on 5 of every 10 deals because people are too cheap to pay shipping.

I've got a scale here. It is calibrated correctly. I'm more than happy to tell someone shipping on an item BEFORE I ASK THEM TO COMMIT, but they need to give me a 5-digit number or a country first. If that's too much personal information to give out to someone you might not buy from, odds are you shouldn't be buying on the internet in the first place.

The only flaw in the Junkion are people that think this is how to make a list...
    item a misb complete awesome condition item b misb my dog sat on it item c onetime i was at walmart and i dropped it item d misb item e loose with crayon all over it item f misb with a different crayon on it by the way i dont have a webcam so no pics also i never use paypal mo only thanks
    Everything else has been working the way it is for years. It's not my job as a seller to sell stuff for significantly less than what it's worth through private deals (I generally do half retail or 75% of the ebay rate when I price things) because someone just lost their job or is alright with buying the figure but doesn't want to pay to get the figure.

I figure Paypal is more of a tool for the buyer... I can just as easily make everyone run out and get a money order or cash... Either way, it usually works out that I split the fees with the buyer (it's less black and white than that, but I think it's fair for both parties).

/rant

17. rustyshark

rustyshark G1 FTW

see when i buy on here this is how it goes for me.
    say a seller has a figure for like 15 dollars. i will offer like 20 shipped for it. or if a seller had two figures i want for 15 i would offer like 35 shipped for it. when people open themselves for offer i dont lowball, but ill offer 5 to 10 dollars less depending on how much they are asking for example if i see something for 30 i may offer 30 shipped if they are looking at taking offers.
    me tho, im starting to look alot more to ebay for my purchases. when you are bidding in auctions you can get what you want for pretty good prices if you play it right. plus ebay offers a whole lot better buyer protection and it doesnt turn into a my word against there word kind of situation. dont get me wrong i still buy stuff on here. but especially lately the forsales threads have been really disapointing.
    ive also tried the wanted forums listing what i want. only problem i get with that is people who send back offers trying to unload AFA stuff and MISB stuff when I plainly list loose only and then ask for ridiculous prices for sealed and loose stuff.

18. Soundblaster1

News Credits:
    I think I said it in both my previous posts in this thread, and I'm gonna say it again.

People are cheap. As a whole, the economy is bad. Everyone is looking for a good deal, but at the same time sellers are looking for top dollar because they -need- every last cent.

For Sale threads are gonna suck. I'm at the bottom of my barrel in terms of things I don't want, so my sale thread sucks.
    Most sales threads suck because people need the money but don't want to part with the things that people actually want.

If you deal strictly in an "I want A, B, C, D, X, Y, and Z loose/complete only, thanks", there are gonna be people that need the money bad enough to throw out their offers anyway, even if it isn't exactly what you want.

It's all a matter of how the cards are played.

19. rustyshark

rustyshark G1 FTW

i agree with you and i can see both sides of the fence. i just know me as a seller i would list a shipped price (within USA), i wouldnt ask for paypal fees i would just be straight forward. of course id prolly be the same and not sale anything good as i love my toys way to much to part with any =)
    if people would list shipped prices me myself i prolly wouldnt even haggle =) most of my haggling is just to get a deal on the figure shipped.

20. PorkChopKB

News Credits:
    Paypal is bullshit! I totally agree with that. Shipping can be alot easier if people knew actually how easy it is. example....

priority mail boxes are 100% free and can be delivered to your front door for free! go to usps.com and make an account, pick out the sizes that you want and how many and place order. again costs nothing. You can print the postage labels from paypal and request a carrier pickup. The mailman will come and pick it up right off of your front porch. You don't even have to leave the house. anything at 1-1.5lbs is 4.80 anywhere in the US even Hawaii. from there it goes up to usually 7.00 depending on weight. usps flat rate boxes start at 9.00 and up to 13.00 for larger boxes. 70lb weight limit.

I just ordered a figure from a member here and it was 5.00 (deluxe class mosc) I told the seller that they could open it and discard the package to make shipping easier. I said that shipping should be 5.00 for it so would 10.00 shipped work. they said that 5.00 priority mail standard and if I wanted delivery confirmation 6.00. if the labels are printed with paypal that service is free and protects both sellers and buyers.

I was using what you said as an example too. I understand that you put figures up for sale to make money. I don't want a seller to sell it cheap to me so they feel all warm and fuzzy inside for giving me a deal. I do think that grossly taking a shitload more money for a figure than what it is worth to the unknowing buyer is bullshit.
    I wouldn't expect you to list a 500.00 figure for 50.00 and get boned. But as you said above.. do you homework and figure out what you would want for it and post that.. post a little higher and accept the lower offer. If this is the way you decide to do it then more power to you.
    if that is the case and people make offers anyway, then why not just set up the sale thread that way. there would be alot more buyers that would respond to it. If it turns into a bidding war on offers then the outcome is the same, except people like me would just say ok.. I want that. Send a pm and say "I would like it just need the paypal info thanks" and pay.