Why 'AllSpark' instead of 'Matrix'?

Discussion in 'Transformers Animated Discussion' started by Glitcher, Jan 20, 2008.

1. Glitcher

Glitcher Banned

News Credits:
    This is one thing that kinda puzzles me. Given all the G1 homages we've seen so far, how come the writers opted to name that thermonuclear power source thingy the 'AllSpark' instead of the 'Matrix'? After all, it bears a much stronger resemblance to the latter. Maybe the writers felt an uncomfortable association with the Matrix trilogy...?

2. Pauly T

Pauly T Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The movie.

3. Edge

Edge weapon of destruction

or they are gonna use it in a future plot of the show, its still way to early to see where they are going and make guesses. Maybe magnus has it and prime will end up with it somehow who knows.

4. Radioactive Ravage

Radioactive Ravage Ancient

Because let's face it, there's no way Prime could fit that thing into his chest.

Another reason could be that it provides an easy explanation for the birth of several new characters, as well as power for the "the Key that can do ANYTHING".

5. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

6. MaikeruSan

MaikeruSan KnightStalker

News Credits:
    I think its to help the kids who saw the movie to elate to the new cartoon. I prefer allspark. "The Matrix" souds luike that movie as abouve. and to me it sound kinda stupid. While the Allspark sounds liable.

7. Sparky Prime

Sparky Prime Well-Known Member

I really can't see the writers of the cartoon being concerned about using the term "Matrix" because of the Matrix Trilogy. More likely, they went with "Allspark" just because that's what the live action movie did. On the other hand, I seem to recall reading somewhere the writers of the live action movie didn't use the term "Matrix" because they wanted to avoid any possible confusion... That and "The Cube" is somewhat different from any version of the Matrix we've previously seen.

8. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Like others have said, because of the movie. It also gives them the opportunity to have both in the same show. The Allspark could, at one point, could create the Matrix, and upgrade Prime so he can carry it (giving Hasbro a chance to create new molds for him down the road with a Matrix Champer).

9. Runamuck

Runamuck Swindle Knows Best

News Credits:
    When I am watching a Transformers show and I hear the word Matrix, I do not think about The Matrix movies. I don't know, maybe that's just me. The Matrix was part of the original series, so I associate Transformers with that word.

In my opinion, I think Matrix sounds better.

10. Legless Pete

Legless Pete Chairman Kaga

It's a combination of factors. The MOVIE could not use "Matrix" because the movie is much more high profile and WOULD have people drawing connections between the item and the trilogy.

The cartoon was created to ride on the success of the movie, for example, originally Bumblebee was to be Hot Rod (or Hot Shot, I can't remember), but it was changed in preproduction to Bumblebee due to the movie's influence. The same with the Allspark- it is the allspark instead of the matrix in order to draw more parallels to the successful movie.

11. Glitcher

Glitcher Banned

News Credits:
    But then the writers would be infringing on Cube. There's no escape! :drunk 

12. Sparky Prime

Sparky Prime Well-Known Member

Well I take "The Cube" to be more of a nickname they gave the Allspark in the movie given it is in fact, a cube...

13. swarlock

swarlock Autobot Supporter

Self explanatory. But The All Spark goes back to BW.

14. Drake

Drake Smooth Is Smooth Baby

They don't want to be associated with crappy Keanu Reeves movies.

15. Anti Spark

Anti Spark It'S DUB Or Nothing!

News Credits:
    Remember the allspark has a smaller spark looking thing inside it.

Maybe another autobot has the matrix?
    Maybe the matrix will not be present in this series.

16. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    Wait, I thought it was pretty clear the Allspark is Vector Sigma, not the matrix. Hence the key given to Sari.

17. Pauly T

Pauly T Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, BW came up with the concept of the uber-spark from which all other sparks come and return to when a TF dies, but the artifact is a byproduct of the movie, isn't it?

I don't remember the Allspark being a physical thing in The Unicron Trilogy.

And while we're on the subject, I think I'll take the opportunity to say that while I like the concept of the Allspark as TF heaven, the actual artifact thing doesn't really sit that well with me.

The Allspark should be an idea that most TFs believe in but not really an intergalactic Maguffin.

18. Lord Of Tetris

Lord Of Tetris Well-Known Member

TF:Animated seems to take cues from all previous versions of TF, from the obvious G1 homages, the BW homages (like Black Arachnia), and the movie (Megatron's face design, Prime-lips, Allspark, etc). Considering people just saw the movie, "Allspark" would have the strongest "I remember that!" factor.

There was a very hilarious moment on the Transformers Movie (1986, Sony double dip) commentary. One of the speakers, I think Flint Dille, made an unintentionally hilarious statement. They were talking about the Matrix, and he just randomly and sadly says, "Why didn't we ever trademark that name?" The next few seconds were awkward silence from him and Susan Blu.

19. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

Well, they're different things. The Matrix was an indicator of leadership, whereas the All-Spark gave life in the way of Vector Sigma.

20. trebleshot

trebleshot www.Toyark.com Veteran

News Credits:
    The movie Allspark was basically an amalgamation of the Matrix of Leadership, The BW Allspark and Primus.

Not sure where the Animated version is going, but I'm leaning towards the Primus/BW Allspark combo. I think the Matrix of Leadership will probably remain separate and maybe Magnus will have it like others have said.

That, or Sari's key creates one.