Why All The Starscream Love?

Discussion in 'Transformers Robots In Disguise / Prime Discussion' started by GuardianAngel87, Sep 9, 2012.

1. GuardianAngel87

GuardianAngel87 Well-Known Member

This is my unofficial response to Ironhide1706's "Why all the Arcee love?" thread since I like to make things fair. ;) 

Anyway, I seriously do not get the massive almost obsessive love towards Starscream. I don't hate him, I just find him rather overrated. Yeah, I like Steve Blum's performance of the character and the character himself does have a few great moments in the series and all but still. Basically, why does he get a free pass for pratically everything he does while most of the characters including Arcee and Bulkhead gets harshly criticized no matter what they do? I know I'm seriously risking getting flamed for this. Please resond politely.

2. Sideways77

Sideways77 oh shoogah

News Credits:
    I don't get it, either. Season 2 SS is just a joke now. His fangirls also have no reasoning to liek him aside from

"LOL HES ON A SCOOTER!"

3. Moonlight1102

Moonlight1102 Banned

Because Steve Blum.

4. Jamocha101

Jamocha101 Well-Known Member

Steve Blum.

5. Thenames9

Thenames9 D-d-d-d-duel!

News Credits:
    I don't think he does. He's funny and a bit of comic relief while also being a badass at times too. Also Steve Blum does a great job voicing Screamer.

6. LCDR Blindside

LCDR Blindside Banned

News Credits:
    Because he's a deep, engaging, and evocative character with an excellent design and a superb voice that capitalizes on the concept of Starscream while adding additional touches to make a new and exciting iteration.

7. PcPrime23

PcPrime23 Filipinooooooooooooo

News Credits:
    You nailed it dude.

8. Primewave

Primewave amiinterrupting

News Credits:
    He's actually one of the very few characters that gets character development. And he's finally done what he should done in G1.

He quit the Decepticons

9. Challenger

Challenger Loves Bumblebee

News Credits:
    Pretty much this. Plus Starscream is my favorite Decepticon, so I like most versions of him.

10. GuardianAngel87

So did the Armada version, albeit temporarily.

11. endless_abyss

endless_abyss Decepticon Knight

Damn it, It's because he likes dancing animals in top hats. JESUS CHRIST GET WITH IT.

12. Sideways77

Sideways77 oh shoogah

News Credits:
    And Animated, though he wanted to rejoin and take over the Cons.

13. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    Because Starscream is entertaining and they are not.

As a villain Starscream has a lot of freedom. He can be silly, he can be sinister, he can be stupid, he can be smart, all without breaking character. He's a desperate guy who's been crapped on all we've seen of him and he's far more sympathetic since he doesn't have anyone to back him up. He's all alone in his mad little campaign and thus his story seems a lot more meaningful and understandable. And even when things are bad his infallible ego that only he respects stays as strong as ever.

Arcee and Bulk's however, are not villains, and they are not alone. They are responsible, trained individuals who have been in this war for eons. When they do something stupid or silly it's harder to write it off as part of their eccentric personality because they're such stoic heroes who always stand straight and talk serious. When something bad happens to them they have support and resources to take care of it. This is especially noteworthy with Arcee and her dead partners shtick. She has support and friends to talk to, but chooses not to. Starscream has no one but himself to lament to about his missing Transformation cog or Megatron's abuse. This is why that scene in Partners where he's talking with Soundwave is such a stand out moment of interaction and genuine humility for the character, that he would confide in this emotionless person who's done nothing but be a thorn, merely because there's no one else. He's tragic, he's hilarious. He's hilariously tragic. Does he warrant the obsession that follows him? No. Is said obsession without some precedence? Not at all.

And as far as Starscream's go, he's pretty much the entire package. He has the overbearing and unrelenting ego of G1, the humility and emotion of Armada, the crippling arrogance and hyperactivenes of the movie, and the powerful intellect and cunning of Animated. He manages to be the omega Starscream without ever having one trait overpower the others. He's quite possibly the best written character on the show, and I think that warrants some attention.

14. soundwave142

soundwave142 Decepticon over-seer

News Credits:
    all of this :p  he's just damn amazing to watch. he never breaks character or does anything that would seem out of the norm for him, he may seem like the humor guy but he is that guy but that guy for a reason.

15. Jamocha101

Not to mention Steve Blum.

16. GuardianAngel87

Yet, no one made a big deal about Ratchet liking LOLcats long before season 2 started. Where's the love for Ratchet? :( 

To be fair, I did find that bit rather amusing as well as him being on the hover-scooter.

17. Jamocha101

Took me a second to get that.

18. Yggdrasil

Yggdrasil Banned

News Credits:
    Because Starscream is FUN to watch!

19. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    Ratchet liking lolcats isn't as funny because, again, he's a hero type who hangs out with the kids and it's not that big of a stretch that he'd eventually warm up. Afterall, he's a good guy. Starscream, however, manages to hate all of mankind and yet laugh at their humour, because even a hateful creature like him can still be caught off guard by a dancing mokey. Plus, unlike Ratchet's scene, Starscream's wasn't immediately ruined by needless overplay by having someone go. "HEY DID STARSCREAM JUST LAUGH THAT'S FUNNY BECAUSE HE DOESN'T SO IT'S FUNNY RIGHT?"

20. GuardianAngel87

I find Knock Out and Fowler more fun to watch but that's just personal taste and/or opinion. :p