Why all the Bay-hate?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by OP84, Jan 6, 2012.

1. OP84

OP84 Well-Known Member

I've noticed that many people seem to hate Michael Bay for reasons I can't understand. Why?

2. zark225

zark225 The Day Fukr

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Cause he focuses on action too much, can't tell a story, shaky cam, etc, etc. Its like complaints about the Movie Decepticons, getting old lol. Granted some of the criticisms are deserved, but I definitely don't think hes all that bad.

3. BLK-OUT 4500X

BLK-OUT 4500X Well-Known Member

Bay doesn't write the movie storys so blame the writers .

4. WidowMaker91

WidowMaker91 Well-Known Member

I don't personally hate Bay*it's a little stupid to hate him over a movie IMO* but I do hate the perverted humour in his movies and Sam&Mikaela*though that might have more to do with the writers* and his ROTF Arcee,Sideswipe and Jetfire designs but it's not personal.

5. Ultra BuckNutz

Ultra BuckNutz Sharkticon

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I certainly don't "hate" him. There are just so many simple things that I feel could have been done that would have made the movies substantially better. He seems to have little respect for the source material (other than that they are huge, fighting, transforming robots). So I think that a lot of fans, like me, are frustrated with his treatment of the Transformers but don't necessarily hate him.

6. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    I don't hate him at all!:)  Yes he's no Peter Jackson but he's no Ulle Bowle either. I'm just impressed about how he made the movies so enjoyable and intresting to me! It's one of the many things that got me back into the franchise in the first place!:) 

7. Incepticon

Incepticon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I generally think Bay is a pretty cool guy and as an insanely amazing cinematographic eye. I just don't like him as a director anymore. His style was perfect for his Bad Boys 1-2, The Rock and even The Island movies, but I don't think it worked at all for Transformers. And I won't even begin to start listing everything that sucked about Pearl Harbor or Armageddon. But like EVERY director out there, he's had some hits and definitely had some misses as well. Transformers, unfortunately, were three back to back misses imo regardless of how popular they are or how much money they made.

8. uruseiranma

uruseiranma Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Because Transformers should be boxy and square-like...not look like they've been spewed forth from a garbage disposal.

9. Albershide

Albershide Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Don't forget that this is a forum for Transformers fans. Most of the members here are especially fans of the cartoons from the mid 80s. They have a certain vision about how certain things should look and often doesn't agree with other people's vision. It's normal. It's like when you read a book and you create a vision about it in your head and then you see the book filmed and it has nothing to do with your version. You'll be pissed.
    I personally became a fan of Transformers after I watched Michael Bay's movie. The truth about Michael's movies is that 50% of the people love them and 50% of the people hate them. There is no middle class. For me they are a pure entertainment that could be hardly matched by other action director.

10. SGTsoundwave

SGTsoundwave Steam Powered Automaton

because his last name is a body of water.

11. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Bay has a significant say in the scripts, as well as how the script becomes the film, and as well as what pieces of the script are kept in the final version. I also heard (but can't verify) he had a very big hand in the script for ROTF, due to the timing issues of the writer's strike.

12. OP84

OP84 Well-Known Member

When have you ever seen any other modern robot look like that? It's called, UPDATING!

13. OP84

OP84 Well-Known Member

I don't think that he wrote the script, from what I understand, Orci and Kurtzman had planned up everything they were going to do for the sequel and when the strike started, he just helped in trying to get the story in order so when they got back (along with Ehren Kruger), they could start writing the script proper.

14. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    I didn't say that he did, but I heard he was heavily involved in the writing process and made numerous, very specific descriptions of exactly what he wanted put in the script.

15. Scaleface

Scaleface Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't know the guy personally, but he made some crappy Transformers movies. That could be the reason some people don't like him much.

16. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    This!:lol  The classic boxy look is fun and all but it really wouldn't work if you're striving to be modern in your approach.

17. MPrime10

MPrime10 Boomsticks.

One reason is simple.
    GEE-WUNNERS!

18. Ruthie

Ruthie Well-Known Member

Fyixt dat fer ya.

19. Tampalicious

Tampalicious Tribe of Roadimus

I think there was a movie that came out a few years ago, it had a song that went something like "Michael Bay makes shitty movies" . This was years before TF 07.
    I think people forget he actually makes pretty damn good movies. Pearl Harbor and Bad Boys (the first one) come to mind for me personally.

It's like when South Park jokes about somebody, all of a sudden 'the masses' start believing what they say. Its assenine.

Additionally, I think Bay takes alot of the flak when it comes to things like "why wasn't Mirage blue and white", why do the robots look like dogs etc. I could be wrong, but I doubt he had a say in some of that stuff. But since it's "his movie" he's gonna be the one getting blamed for every last thing.

I have my own perfect idea of what I would have liked them to be, just like most people my age (semi old timers), but hey that's life. I hated Devastator but I loved ROTF anyway. DOTM was Nothing like I imagined, but it was still a great movie, and made a ton of money so hey , you cant please everybody all the time right?

I bet if they made a cgi War for Cybertron type movie, it would not make as much, even though it would be fun to watch over and over and over . I'm not sure how to explain that but I can only liken it to the cgi Ninja Turtles. I didnt even watch it in theatres. Now...had that been a live action gritty movie like the first TMNT, I woulda been there on release day. (sorry if thats like comparing apples an oranges but I think it makes sense)

20. Paxtin

Paxtin Why am I here?

People hated Bay long before the Transformer films. I think it was actually Pearl Harbor that ended up putting the Bay hate at it's zenith.
    I never saw that film myself, but from what I heard, he basically took a very dark time from our history and turned it into a blainless action flick. That kind of ticked off a few people.

Then came The Island. If you were ever a MST3K fan, then you know why that film didn't go over so well.

It is a shame, cause fan rage aside, the 2007 TF film was relatively liked by most critics as a fun popcorn flick. It really could have been a second chance for Bay to show his place as a action movie director.
    Then he bogged down ROTF with oddly placed gutter humor that just ended up offending everyone. Even people who didn't care about Transformers. After that, DOTM never had a chance with critics, and Bay himself regained his imege in pop culture of being a Hollywood stereotype.