Why all games should have a mute function

Discussion in 'Transformers Video Game Discussion' started by NGW, Jun 24, 2010.

1. Tkemert20

Tkemert20 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    :lolol 

2. Angelwave

Angelwave Physical Maintenance.....

News Credits:
    It's ridiculous. The headset should be used for:

"Hey guys I got the bomb, let's take it this way!"

"Hey guys sniper on the upper level, near capture point C!"

"Hey guys enemies coming in, left side of our base!"

The headset should NOT be used for"

"Yakity Yak Yak Yak. Blah. blah. blah. blah blah."

3. Overhaulimus

Overhaulimus Sword of Fury!

News Credits:
    You will find that on every game that supports a heat set,that's why I'm primarily playing with only friends.

4. rattrap007

rattrap007 One meme mutha f’er TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    mainly what you hear from me is "Crap!" as I get blown apart.. or "ha ha!" as I kill someone..

5. Angelwave

News Credits:
    You see, that's fine. Because at least it's pertaining to the match your playing. And actually let's your teammates know your status.

6. Nerdicon

Nerdicon Caffene=Energon

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Not all us Rednecks are stuck in the stone age about racial slurs ;)  but I do follow ya'll on that one. I'm sorry my fellow rednecks do feel the need to fit that particular stereotype so perfectly.

7. blumpy2000

blumpy2000 PENGUINS CAN'T FLY!!!

That's why I've muted everyone from my personal settings since I got XBox Live. Usually I hear nothing but loud mumbles that sound like a bunch of zombies. I also have no interest in hearing poor losers much less poor winners, they both piss me off.

One time I was playing Gears with a guy on Horde where we were the only two left we were doing pretty good on one of the higher levels. He was up top sniping and doing most of the killing, while I was in back covering him and picking him up when he fell. I thought we were doing really well and was feeling a really good sense of comradery. Next match stars up we're on the same map and after a little while I get a voice message from him. After the match I change my voice settings to listen to it, figuring it's gonna be "Let's do it again", or something positive. I was irate to find that it said "Dude, don't be stingy. It's not that hard to push X to pick a teammate up." Voice settings went right back to mute and will remain there forever.

As simple and nonoffensive as that is, I don't really feel the need to hear that stuff either. I just don't feel it makes the game any better.

8. ZeroEdge

ZeroEdge Geass'd

News Credits:
    Stuff like what you guys are talking about is the reason why I don't play online games often.

9. Ayleron

Ayleron Autobot Vanguard

The hardest part is I would talk more for strategising but no one seems interested in talk other than yelling at you for being in the way or to gloat about their kills. I have yet to hear anyone who uses the term noob that is not worth muting...

10. Angelwave

News Credits:
    Those are usually the first to complain when the team loses the match. I've kept my mic on mute so far, but sometimes I just want to hit that mic/mute button and say, "Well if your dumbass would help out and work with others as a team instead running ahead of everyone trying to get kill points we would've have won!"

11. Dirge121

Dirge121 I'll be your end of days

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    Guilty.
    This is why I party up or just dont use the mic. I'd prefer to casually chat with friends that might not be playing the same game.
    I dunno, taking the game seriously enough to start calling locations and enemies out just feels silly to me.

Im probably just in the wrong mindset though. I also dont tend to care if I lose.

12. Inferno39

Inferno39 Captain Awesome

They really do need to be able to mute on the PS3, if Xbox has it so should we.

13. Angelwave

News Credits:
    The thing is about it....if you playing with friends and all in a private game, that's fine. Of course you wanna shoot the shit with your buds. But in a public match, there have been quite a few people I notice that tend to isolate themselves from the group, chit chatting when a teammate right next to them is being blown apart. And I for one play for the enjoyment. I would never take something like this seriously. But I will help out my teammates regardless.

14. Dirge121

Dirge121 I'll be your end of days

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    Thats another thing. 9 times out of 10, nobody on the team has a mic anyway. If I can see a teammate in trouble I'll always try and help.

Maybe Im just good at multitasking, I can chit chat and pay attention to whats going on at the same time.

Im a Soldier/Leader player, so Im constantly keeping an eye on the people around me to see if they need help. Either shooting an enemy thats giving a teammate some trouble, or getting a barrier up in front of an ally in trouble. I was in a match last night with no mic, giving buffs to my team whenever possible, and we did really well. I dont think anyone on my team had a mic either!

15. The Constructicon

The Constructicon Yeah, I turn into a leg.

Wait, they talk?
    The only people that talk when I'm playing are folks from the boards here...

16. Angelwave

News Credits:
    You my friend are one of the select few. :thumb 

Oh no, not all the time. In fact most matches, I've been in are usually quiet. And in some of the ones that do have talkers, are like Dirge121. But there are some in there that this thread is all about.

17. optimus kimchee

optimus kimchee Well-Known Member

I agree, some people are just poor sports and forget that the online is supposed to be FUN, but poor parenting lead so many people to being whiners about a game where the goal is to kill or be killed, LOL!

Last night I was playing deathmatch (I tend to stay away from team deathmatch because I get faster exp and more of it in deathmatch, given I am going on a slaughtering spree against everyone and have gottn the energon sword a few times so far, LOL) and everytime this guy died he would flip out on his mic and call everyone names, it was funny the first 5 times he did it because he sounded like he was mid 20's-early 30's (I'm 32).

If him and I came across each other and we shot it out (normally I would kill him, because he couldnt stay calm enough to think straight) I would usleash everything I had, use war cry and fire with my ion blaster or fusion cannon, transform and ram him... you know whatever it took to win and he would die...

It would be followed up with "you f**king cheater!" "F**k you!" "oh my G*d, you piece of s**t" "what the f**k you should be dead b**ch" "you cant do a straight up fight?" (this was my favorite because I'm playing a Transformer with a handful of abilites, LMAO!

Just look at this way... people who flip out, scream, yell, cuss and are just poor sports that talk trash make the best ones to kill because they dont play with a level head... HOT TEMPERED PLAYERS = CANNON/MELEE FODDER ;) 

18. Angelwave

News Credits:
    Preach on brother, PREACH ON! :) 

19. SentinelPrime

SentinelPrime I NEEDED THAT!

Ebay:
    Testify!!!!

So, I was playing, had a mic, and the only other person in the game was playing in a crowded college dormroom. There were easily 3 audible conversations going on about some inane garbage, and there were some chicks present, because the tone of their voices cut through. He never really even said anything at all, just that constant noise of multiple conversations.

It became infuriating and I eventually said "Jesus! All of that talking is so frustrating! Just turn your mic off, you aren't even using it, all I hear are those people talking! It's really frustrating!"

Of course, he got mad at me, as if I'd done something wrong. He said "Whatever man! Like it's so hard to mute someone! Jeez! If you don't like it, too bad!" And kept making little under his breath comments the rest of the match, which of course made him look even worse, as there is no mute function in the game.

What an idiot. I mean, he's sitting there in a room full of people wearing a freaking blue tooth blinking earpiece, yet, he's not even talking, he's just making people mad with background noise from hell. I suggest just turn it off, you aren't even USING it, and he gets upset. I'm not sure this online gaming thing is that great an idea. I guess the key is knowing people in RL to play with. How can someone be so freaking STUPID as to not even realize that a room full of people talking across a mic would be horrible for anyone listening. That is so obvious it's sad, and this moron can't even see it.

20. optimus kimchee

optimus kimchee Well-Known Member

That is annoying... that is the one thing that bothers me. I dont want to hear your friends chatting, nor do I want to hear your TV volume of the same game I am playing. I have asked people to please turn down their tv volume a tad because they arent talking and all I head in my headset is their mic activating with each explosion, transformation or gunfire... so annoying.

I bought a noise cancelling bluetooth for that reason. I even tell my son to talk softer if I have my headset on because its rescpectful.