Why all American Cars? where are the foreign cars?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by SideSwipe82, Aug 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SideSwipe82

SideSwipe82 Well-Known Member

Hi, I thought transformers were about a mixture of foreign and domestic car?..but now all I see and hear is american brand cars for autobots... for bumblebee, jazz, ironhide..ratchet(?).. why is that? I rather jazz a porche or a mazda

anyone has this thought?

2. Raz

Raz Flamethrower TFW2005 Supporter

I believe GM has been licensed for this movie, so no foreign cars. Iirc

3. Driftbot

Driftbot Well-Known Member

mustangs arent GM.

thats a good question.
    we havent seen jazz yet. hopefully they are tryin gto get a license for an import and thats why we havent seen anything leaked about jazz yet.
    hopefully.
    it would be cool if he was a lancer evo, or RX8 like you said. 350z would be awesome too.

4. Caterwaul

Caterwaul Busou Shinki Loremaster

Whoever offers the best deal gets into the movie. It's called product placement.
    If GM offers a better deal for licensing then Honda does, they're going to use GM cars.

5. Raz

Raz Flamethrower TFW2005 Supporter

I guess IDRC then. :duel 

6. SideSwipe82

SideSwipe82 Well-Known Member

Correct me if i'm wrong. Doesn't hasbro/takara has the right to some of the liscensed cars? HASbro has signed a contract with foreign companies to do ALTERNATORS(ie, honda, mazda, scion, etc etc), so why not use it for the movie as well?

7. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Megatron? Is that you!?!?

Becasue that is what hasbro decided to go with. Ask them :D 

8. Caterwaul

Different type of license. They dont carry over.
    If I get the license to make Star Trek toys, that doesnt mean I can sell a Star Trek RPG or video game.

9. Kittie Rose

Kittie Rose Banned

Any car that's been an Alternator they can put in the movie.

Bay is sticking with American cars, because he's an "All American" Director. Same reason he's pushing for military and their "huge war room"!.

10. GibsonUSA

GibsonUSA Well-Known Member

They seem to have a deal with GM going on, but still their choices of cars for characters has been horrible.
    I know GM wants the new Camaro in there, but why Bumblebee?? Why not give it to Jazz???? IMO, the car choices should have went something like this.

Jazz- Blue Chevy Camaro
    Ratchet - White GMC Yukon XL
    Ironhide - Red Hummer H2
    Bumblebee -Yellow Chevy Aveo

Something that makes more sense.

11. leadsled

leadsled the word is "Mortifying"

i dont know about you ....but the last thing i want to see in a movie is a sewing machine like a aveo...

from what i understand foergien licenses were financially savage to aquire... i read somewhere that a lambo licenece it super hard to get...im thinking GM probably made it real easy

bada bing bada boom

12. The Phazer

The Phazer Well-Known Member

Honestly? I don't think there's any more conspiracy to it than a number of people in the production team who like really ugly stuff, and GM offering a lot of money in desperation to try and make their brand look like less of a disaster than it already is.

But I really think it was staggering during the interview when the writers tried to argue that the Camaro was a cool car that kids would want to drive. Sorry, but that's complete nonsense.

Phazer

13. Z28 Autobot

Z28 Autobot Well-Known Member

disaster??? Brand new Award winning and show stopping and best of show for 2006 NAIAS 2009 Camaro, that now has a movie to draw alot of showroom traffic to when it comes out. Most sales of any hybrid vehicles in the country. #1 Flex fuel comapny. Brand new SUV's that are STILL rolling off the lots..now the trucks are comming along. the Aveo the best selling car in its segment....The Solstice and its twin the Sky both sold out cars for this year..HHR over %110 percent build capacity..GTO sold out..think it was a flop..think again the platform it was built on in Australia survived one more year cus of the demand for GTO's...I could go on but GM is and has not been a disaster for about 5 years now. Look whos cars JD Power ranks best..I can tell you they are higher than Toyota..yea..so I could go on but I will stop there..:Gouki: 

and last..the Mustang..well its not from Ford..Its a Saleen..and Saleen is seperate from ford and has no ties..so I think they wanted the Classic Camaro vs. Mustang and jumped over Ford and aquired the rights to Saleen Mustangs..its a Mustang but not from Ford directly..:horse: 

14. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    It's a race thing... That's right, I'm throwing down my race card...:lol 

All kidding aside, initially it was rumored to be an all GM movie... But of course the Mustang threw that notion out the window... So who knows why they went with all domestic cars??? With Bay and the designs we've seen, I'd say there could be a MILLION reasons why or why not at this point... Those reasons could range from anything valid to anything nonsensical...

15. Omnibus Prime

Omnibus Prime I'm too old for this shit TFW2005 Supporter

:peoples: 

Um, aside from a few parts of the US where ('70s-'80s) Camaros are generally thought of as redneckmobiles, Mustangs and Camaros are, or were once at least, cool cars that kids want to drive. When I was a kid, I wanted a '66 Mustang or '69 Camaro as much as, if not more than, the Countach that was proudly displayed on my Trapper Keeper. [​IMG]

The new Camaro is sweet...not as sweet as the Mustang maybe, but for many, the retro styling makes it the best model since the one it's most inspired by. Little kids aren't that independently minded. Whatever the cultural zeitgeist deems 'cool' at the time, kids will pick up on. Why else would I have had a Countach Trapper Keeper?

16. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    Hell, if I were to go back to American cars, that Camaro would top my list...

17. Z28 Autobot

Z28 Autobot Well-Known Member

and you should..

and like stated FORD is not part of this ..Saleen is..I would almost bet DW after signing with GM thought it would be cool to pit the Camaro with its rival the mustang..but how without ford getting involved..call the guy that is an independant manufacturer of the Saleen Mustang..problem solved.

18. rayray40

rayray40 Member

I'm glad there all American cars. I just wish there was a Viper or a Charger. I was so happy when I found out there wasnt going to be any & fast or furious junkers in the movie.

19. Caterwaul

Again. NO, they cant. License agreements do NOT carry over between properties. The TF Alternators toy property requires a completely seperate licensing agreement then the move would. License agreements are very specific to what they can be used for. This is especially true for something like a major movie which will have a significant amount of people watching it compared to a niche toy line.

There's no conspiracy going on here. GM just made the better offer. Hence, we get GM made cars. It's product placement with all the good and bad that brings with it.

20. Cheebs

Cheebs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    I don't mind exclusively American cars....

But couldn't they have gotten an exotic American car for Jazz? I wouldn't have minded Jazz as that Ford they did for Alt Mirage.

One thing that has me stoked is the toy possibilities for the "old" Bumblebee Camero. TF toys need more classic cars! More more more!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.