Whu-oh, Microsoft trying to use PC Halo 2 as Windows upgrade incentive

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by tikgnat, Feb 9, 2006.

1. Firestorm

Firestorm Red Mage in Training

Darn. I was really hoping to play Halo 2. Since I don't have an X-Box (nor do I plan to get that or an X-Box 360), and my computer when a large supply of monsters shows up in Doom 3, I'm not going to be able to play Halo 2 for, oh, five years. I am not at a point where I can buy a new computer, nor do I think I could upgrade this one.

2. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

Im sorry. Im no fan of Halo or Vista, but Ive got to chime in here. That move is just plain lame. There is no reason why that game cant run on XP unless they did something crazy like overhauled the graphics and made it look like Killzone PS3. This is an ultra lame move to push the new OS that nobody really needs.

Good thing Halo sucks, and PC gamers know better than to buy it. If you're getting a PC FPS, go get Half Life 2 or FEAR or Far Cry.

3. Jux

Jux Please, call me Steve. Veteran

I picked up the PC version of Halo the other day for 10 bucks, and while it wasn't too bad, I didn't find anything special about it. Part of me hopes it doesn't compare to the console version, given the amount of hype I had heard about it.

4. llamatron

llamatron OFFICIAL MMC REP TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Who would ever want to play a crappy console FPS on a PC - the king of FPS games?

5. The_Bardock

The_Bardock ****** of the Minicons

but i've already watched the fake IG footage of Killzone PS3 on XP. So that can't be it.

6. Mike

Mike Banned

Ebay:
    I just bought a copy of windows XP last year, no way im buyin a new version untill NOTHING works at all for XP anymore. XP cost me more then the whole computer, and I only bought the upgrade version

7. Cruellock

Cruellock Disney Villain

Since Halo was released on the PC and since Microsoft bought Bungie ages ago. Did you really think Microsoft wouldn't try to target the PC gamers ?

A really foolish move though, since PC gamers know that Halo is just an average game with nothing special. Online play huh ? Never heard of that before........ I was 14 years old.

Console FPS... Such a nasty genre.

8. FreshDebesh

FreshDebesh <b><font color=brickred>oye chak de phatte!</font> Veteran

I dont really care about Halo, but I'm excited about Vista. I think I might wait to get a new laptop after it comes out to get it preinstalled. Never had a problem with XP. Hope Vista is even better.

9. Wreckie

Wreckie Holder of the Discomatrix

Ebay:
    Amazing how quickly fashions come and go these days. So now it's all cool and trendy to diss Halo, hey? :) 

*Hops on the bandwagon* Wheee!

10. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

No bandwagon that I can see, none of the hardcore PC contingent here (or in most places) have ever had anything good to say about the game.

11. BigPrime3000

BigPrime3000 Well-Known Member

The only online FPS I've ever played was CS, which I wasn't really impressed with, so I don't really have much to compare to in the PC department. Halo as a console FPS is amazing though. The single player story sucks, but most FPS I've played on consoles have sucked since PD on the 64.

Multiplayer though, Halo is the absolute best. Aside from the hit detection, which is damn good when there isn't bad lag, Halo is the best because of all of the work Bungie took in setting up the multiplayer system. The ranking system and the party controls are what makes Halo great. You don't run into games where you either win or lose without any real competition as much as the other online FPS I've played.

12. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

I hope they take it a step further and make it only work on the 64-bit version of Vista. I'm tired of how slowly the x64 platform is being adopted.

13. Omnibus Prime

Omnibus Prime I'm too old for this shit TFW2005 Supporter

Pff. I never understood why all the fuss over Halo. Perhaps I was jaded from the previous decade of FPS games for PC.

14. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

Ive been dissing Halo since the first day I played it (quite some time ago). Nothing new.

15. planetjacker

planetjacker Critters burn real good. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    For me a new game is not reason enough to upgrade the OS that controls my entire system.

I don't diss Halo because I have never played and the reason for that is I don't do alot of online gaming and all the reviews for Halo gush over the online aspect but leave the single player very much unmentioned.

I'll be sticking with XP and my copy of Quake and Half Life. Untill I see fit to upgrade.

16. FreshDebesh

FreshDebesh <b><font color=brickred>oye chak de phatte!</font> Veteran

The only FPS game I truly enjoyed, was Doom II. Most of them don't really interest me, so there was no "bandwagon" to jump on.

17. llamatron

llamatron OFFICIAL MMC REP TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Unreal Tournament FTW! :p 

18. Drake

Drake Smooth Is Smooth Baby

64bit and DirectX10. That's enough right there. I'll get Vista myself because the next MS Flight Sim is gonna be designed to run on it.

19. Streck

Streck QED Veteran

I've seen threads about this on multiple forums - even started a few, just to test the waters - and in every case, most of the discussion has been worthless tripe that included at least one of the following items:

- I didn't like PC Halo and neither did anyone else I know, so the whole idea is dumb, even though it sold well enough to repeatedly appear in NPD's list of top 10 selling PC games and turned a healthy profit for Microsoft
    - I know fuck-all about Vista but I can say with absolute certainty that there are no technological reasons for why they would have made this move
    - M$ $UXX0RZ
    - I refuse to upgrade, even though it's been five fucking years since XP came out, which on a computer timescale is forever

I'm glad to see 2005 be an exception to this, though, in that three of these items have shown up but not dominated.

20. Drake

Drake Smooth Is Smooth Baby

Never played Halo on the PC. Got an Xbox for that. I heard the PC version was pretty bad.