Whose psyched for the next round of arguably the most influential line since G1?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Necare, Nov 5, 2008.

1. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Currently facepalming at your post

News Credits:
    I'm interested in seeing what they come up with. The movie line isn't my favorite but the engineering behind it was fantastic. I highly doubt I'll be getting repeat toys os the ones from the first movie (unless they're better versions of the characters), but I'm sure I'll pick up a few new characters. I need some way of getting my plastic crack fix while Universe sadly goes on hiatus.

2. Kimmer

Kimmer Well-Known Member

by "influential" do u mean absolutely terrible,horrible,fugly,worst line ever? all i know is it's gonna another long wait till this garbage clears the pegs. i guess the one positive is my wallet will be happy.

3. Fairlady_Z

Fairlady_Z Official Voice of Flareup

I'll probably pick up a few movie toys, but I much prefer Universe and Animated. It'll be a good time to take a break and save up for the MPs I don't have yet.

4. Erector

Erector I ruined the Hall of Fame

News Credits:
    I'm going to pass on the majority of the line I think.

Disclaimer: until I see them on the shelves, whereupon I will probably buy them all :( 

5. Switchblade

Switchblade Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'll probably get a few things - Sideswipe, Soundwave, maybe Devastator - but I'm going to save most of my money and display space for more awesome Animated toys. I've basically come to the conclusion that Animated is the best TF line ever and I've been relatively uninterested in most other lines since it came out.

6. Shark Jumper

Shark Jumper さあ、お前の罪を数えろ

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I don't get why it's influential besides the overrated movie...

7. Rattrap Primal

Rattrap Primal Geek Overlord, Botbot Collector

I'm looling foward to a new Devestator and maybe some more Decepticon/ Autobot grunts, but I'll also go for Animated and Universe as well.

8. Cascadia

Cascadia Mt. St. Hilary

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    At this point, I am more interested in what the line would look like before I decide if I get them. With the first movie, I was highly selective on which ones I got and I will most likely do the same thing with the sequel.

9. Dachande

Dachande MULTI-QUOTE- USE IT. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I guess I'm in the minority who really likes the movie figures and can't wait for the next run. They have more of a mechanical, realistic look to them than any of the previous or current offerings. They look like real robots in disguise. Classics and Universe are re-hashes in many cases, so do little to nothing for me. I'm also not a fan of the boxy G1 look, so none of those for me, thank you.
    Sure, I'll get Cheetor, Ravage, Starscream and a few others along the way, but my money will go towards the movie line and Animated.

10. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Maybe it seems that way, and there are definitely those who hated them from the onset, but I think a lot of the "bleh, movie toys" is stemming from the fact that they've been on the shelves for almost 18 months and people are sick of seeing them.

Go back to old movie toy threads from Aug-Nov '07 and you'll see people going nuts because they can't find anything in stores except Cyber Stompers. :lol 

11. Foster

Foster Haslab Victory Saber Backer #3 Veteran

News Credits:
    Movie toys have great engineering but I'm starting to lose interest on anything that doesn't trigger G1 nostalgia for me. I'll probably pass on nearly everything Movie and leave them on the shelves for someone who'll get more enjoyment out of it. My collection of movie toys sits in a bin while I can't get enough of Henkei Sunstreaker and City Commander. It's time to stop collecting out of habit.

I'm mostly psyched to blow the majority of my TF money next year on Reprolabels.

12. herugrim

herugrim N/A

Ebay:
    There was a ton of movie-bashing before the first one came out, as well. Once the toys were out, though, the overall tone changed a lot.

As far as the line being influential? Hell yeah it was! After the flop that was cybertron (as far as overall sales are concerned), stores didn't want anything to do with transformers. Classics got a couple pegs, and usually new figures couldn't be found until a month after their release date. It was the movie that changed that, and made transformers popular again. Regardless of how it sounds, sales is what really matters. It won't do us any good if Hasbro decides to focus on us old-timers and goes bankrupt in the process.

And even from a design standpoint, the movie-line took the series back to it's roots. I hear a lot of fans complain about the recent gimmicks in the main lines, and I can't blame them. I still have a box full of useless Cyber-Planet keys. In the movie, the only gimmick was the transforming itself, and the mechanics used on the movie figures are the best I have seen to date. And without sacrificing articulation! I'd say that's pretty influential.

I'm looking forward to the new movie line. I need a new transformers fix. A couple Classic 2.0 figs a month just doesn't cut it. Once I get Animated Shockwave and Ultra Magnus, I'll be done with that line. 'Course, with Universe down while the Movie line is out, I'll still be limited to one line (and the occasional Marvel-former). It'll be nice to actually look at more then two pegs in the transformers isle again.

-endrant

13. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    I cant wait, I loved the first go around with the movie and Animated has really killed my TF interest in a big way. Even the current Universe stuff is killing my interest in a big way as well as so far every one has been a massive let down for me.

14. Peanut04

Peanut04 Under Construction

News Credits:
    Sounds like we are pretty much on the same page. Unless the figure is just a total kickass figure, I pass on it. I'm mostly interested in G1 inspired figures.

15. Johnator

Johnator 'Til All Are Gone!

The movie line is terrible. I thought this post was about TF Universe by the title.

16. llfalcon

llfalcon Well-Known Member

Ditto

I only got the Evolution of Bumblebee 2 pack, Barricade and and the 3 Walmart exclusive offscreen figures. I don't really have any interest in this line, but it would heavily depend on the toys of course. I was intrigued by the Constructicons until I found out that the robots and combiners will be 2 different toys, both with Vehicle alts. We'll just have to see how much truth there is to that. My only other interest is Soundwave (plus minions). Depends how they turn out though. Being in Canada, it will also heavily depend on possible sales or trips across the border to Walmart for $7.77 a deluxe. There's no way I'll be getting 7 constructicons at $14.99 a piece, let alone their equivalent to form Devestator.

17. Necare

Necare Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    By influential, I did not mean teh aesthetics of other lines to come, I meant the line's influence on the fans and to the popularity of TFs themselves.

Animated is an amazing line, Masterpiece, Alternators, Universe/Classics and for me the occasional Cybertron and RID figures...Many of these are "better" in ways than the movie line.

But it appears to me that this line, in conjunction with the movie (which does make it an unfair advantage to the other lines, which did not accompany a hollywood blockbuster) brought more people back to transformers than had existed before, and has even created a buzz again about TF's in pop culture, as evidenced by the appearance of TF's in the last Simpson's Halloween Special.

Though there does seem to be a lot of hatred for this line, I wonder who it was that kept the shelves empty and the coffers of the scalpers full from July through the fall of '07?

I for one am still psyched for what could be a damn cool devastator, if rumors are true it would seem that customizers will be busy as anything! I am hoping for new figures and not an overwhelming retooling of the same characters even though I know it's coming...

I mean after all...what would a great movie be without merchandising?

18. Dinobot Nuva

Dinobot Nuva Johnny 3 Tears Veteran

News Credits:
    Ignoring the first few posts...

HELL YES! I can't wait to head out on the official launch date like June 2nd, 2007 and just spend a ton of money on plastic crack. I loved the movie line, and I can't wait to see how Hasbro ups the ante to meet the demand for the second round!

And to all the nay sayers who don't see why its influential, the TF Drought of 2007 was probably the biggest sell out the product ever had. Hasbro and retailers were not prepared the figures sold out almost as soon as they hit the pegs, you as a fan might not've liked the toys, but everybody else ate that shit up.
    DN

19. Ace96

Ace96 Well-Known Member

As much as I enjoyed the movie line...after all it did get me back into collecting. Its hard to say its as influential as any other line. Time will only tell if its as influential as G1 or some other series perhaps. To compare to any previous line is putting the cart in front of the horse.

Yes, I cannot wait for the movie line!

20. Harbinger

Harbinger ecnayonnA

i hated the movie line. what few figures i liked i shuffled, off in the end, to my back room. the movie line is defiantly not the most influential line since G1. those that paid attention to transformers can name at least 3 great lines they have experienced before the movie blasted in and added more fans. only thing the movie has done is put transformers back on to a pop culture map that it hasnt really been a part of for awhile. all it means in the end is some fans will love the older lines more then the newer fans that hadnt realised they have missed out on 25 years of transforming robot toys.