Who's your definite voice for a comic book character?

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by AniProwl, Oct 12, 2009.

1. AniProwl

AniProwl Banned

News Credits:
    Like the title says.
    Who's voice do you hear when read the comics?

I speak for everyone when I say Kevin Conroy is the definite voice of Batman. Ditto for Clancy Brown's Lex Luthor

Mark Hamill is not only the definite Joker voice, but the defenite Hobgoblin voice as well. I hope Greg Weisman gets him for Spectacular Spiderman.

On the Marvel side,
    I say Josh Keaton has become a good voice for everybody's favorite web-slinger.

Cal Dodd is more definite of a Wolverine voice than Steve Blum.
    However, Steve Blum is a pretty good voice for the Green Goblin.

2. G1Wheeljack

G1Wheeljack Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    For DC I always go w/the DCAU & Teen Titans voices. For some Marvel I gotta go w/Keaton for Spidey, Scott McNeil for Wolverine and RDJ for Iron Man to name a few.

3. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    I read G1 TF comics before I ever watched the cartoons, so the voices I heard in my head were largely different from what I ended up hearing from my television speakers. Here's a few examples. I sure wasn't expecting a mechanical, vocoded Soundwave, although that voice has now become my definitive version. Shockwave I envisioned as speaking in a soft, sinister tone, quite like Jeffery Combs' Scarecrow from BTAS - he will always sound like that to me. Same goes for Tom Kenny's Starscream, who is far closer to my vision of Starscream than Latta's screechier interpretation. Neither Greg Berger nor David Kaye sound anything like 'my' Grimlock, who is basically Simon Furman's character with Brad Garrett doing a DCAU Lobo impression for his voice. Cullen's Prime, Welker's Rumble and Paul Eiding's Perceptor, however, were all more or less spot on, and I love them.

4. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    - DC - For the most part, the DCAU voices. Deathstroke has Slade's voice from the Teen Titans cartoon, although that's the only TT "voice" I hear in the comics, since the comic Titans are significantly older than the characters in the animated series.
    - Optimus Prime - Garry Chalk's Optimus Primal, circa Beast Machines.
    - Megatron - David Kaye's BW Megatron.
    - Shockwave and Soundwave - The voices from the G1 cartoon, but swapped. IMO, the vocoder fits better with Shockwave's character and Shockwave's cartoon voice is a better fit for Soundwave in the Marvel comics.

5. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Jumpin' Jellyfish! Super Mod

News Credits:
    Norm Spencer will always be the quintessential Cyclops to me.

Tricia Helfer makes a pretty damn good Black Cat, but in the end Jennifer Hale will always own the role in my book.

6. megatronkicksas

megatronkicksas Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Because I grew up during the 90's I hear the voices from the cartoons, my favorites being the X-men cartoon, Batman TAS, Superman TAS, Hulk, and Spiderman.

And for Transformers it's a mix of the Unicron trilogy and Beast wars. Heck, now there's even a little Animated thrown in the mix.

7. AniProwl

AniProwl Banned

News Credits:
    Chris Meloni as Green Lantern and Victor Garber as Sinestro from the Green Lantern DTV are pretty much what I think sound like the definite voices.

Liam OBrien as both Angel and Nightcrawler

David Hemblen as Magneto

Paul Dobson as Dr. Doom

The voice cast of the Fantastic Four from World's Greatest Heroes

Brian Drummond as Venom

Scott Cleverdon as Carnage

Vanessa Marshall as Mary Jane Watson

Ron Perlman as Slade

In short, most of who Andrea Romano has voice directed as well as whoever has vocie directed the recent Marvel cartoons.

8. Spiderus Prime

Spiderus Prime TFW Spongebob since 2007

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Tom Kenny's Waspinator voices makes a very scary Toad Voice.

9. Takara_destron

Takara_destron Mainly lurking these days

Ebay:
    This.

10. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

For extra LOLZ, read Frank Miller Batman with Adam West's voice in your head.

11. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    That.

12. Takara_destron

Takara_destron Mainly lurking these days

Ebay:
    :lol 
    I always think Michael Ironside as Millier's Batman after Legends of the Dark Knight.
    There really needs to be a DC Direct Dark Knight returns movie.

13. MrSoundwaveGuy

MrSoundwaveGuy I've made a huge mistake

News Credits:
    For me there can never be a definite voice for anybody because of different iterations of the characters there can't always be a definite voice for them

14. Fiy

Fiy Alien Velociraptor

News Credits:
    Batman- Kevin Conroy

The Flash [Wally West]- Micheal Rosenbaum

Blue Beetle[Jaime Reyes]- Will Fridel

Spider-Man- Josh Keaton

Deathstroke/Slade Wilson- Ron Perlman

15. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Preach on, Brudda! Testify!

There are so many ways that i disagree with voice actors chosen for certain characters.
    John McGinley as Metallo, for example, was wrong.
    Malcom Macdowell was spot on.

as far as picking names outta a hat and running with them, i am not really able to do that.

16. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

for batman; to me it all depends on the "batman" Kevin Conroy to me did NOT work well for all the voices in the animated "gotham knight." to me he just did not fit the look of all the various visions of the character. like the field test one; i felt like Steven Blum would of made a MUCH more logical choice for "that" version of "batman"

so to me there is no defenitive voice for a character.

Peter Cullen makes a fantastic Optimus Prime. but if they had put him as Optimus Prime in Animated. it would of been an entirely different character to me. and the voice would not match up with the character they drew out and created.

but on the other hand. Mark Hamill makes a fantastic Joker; that doesn't mean he should be the only one to ever play the voice.

i mean how would we ever know if there is some one else out there that can possibly be a BETTER joker; if we keep to the same voice everytime? and then what happens is mark hamill decides to retire? :lol  what? no more jokers, ever?

17. Jochimus

Jochimus Well-Known Member

For me, the DCAU voices would probably be the ones I think of most when reading the actual DC comics, although there are a few exceptions depending on the artist or character. Up until recently I'd have heard Tim Daly and Dana Delany when reading scenes between Superman/Clark and Lois; now, of course, Gary Frank draws them to look like Christopher Reeve and Margot Kidder, so that's how it goes now; ditto for the Phantom Zone villains since they're also pulled out of the Reeve films now. Also, Plastic Man never appeared in the 'main' DCAU but I think of Tom Kenny's voice from TB&TB when reading him. Likewise, Deathstroke/Slade and the Doom Patrol have only appeared on TT thus far in animation, yet those are the voices I think of reading their stories.

Marvel tends to be a little more varied for me. Most of the cast from "Ultimate Avengers" I think of when reading Earth's Mightiest Heroes; by contrast, the live-action X-Men from the movies are the ones I usually hear reading those stories; Spidey's even more mixed up for me because of all the different cartoons and now the movies, and there's some portrayals I liked better than others.

As for Transformers, this has also become a mash-up for me because of the different iterations that have existed in the past 25 years. There's several G1 voices I still think of - Peter Cullen as Optimus, Dan Gilvezan as Bumblebee, Frank Welker as Soundwave (usually with vocoder), Corey Burton as Shockwave - but these days reading TF books I hear David Kaye's voice coming out of Megatron and Grimlock, Tom Kenny's coming out of Starscream, Jess Harnell's coming out of Ironhide, and Jeff Bennett's coming out of Prowl, among others.

18. Lord Of Tetris

Lord Of Tetris Well-Known Member

Instead of listing a whole bunch of names and having them get lost amid a sea of posts, I'll just be brief:

Kevin Conroy as Batman.

Cathal Dodd as Wolverine.

I rest my case.

19. $shockwave$

$shockwave$ Banned

News Credits:
    Then, okay I would have to agree with megatronkicksas post.

20. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    So, out of curiosity, what about webcomics?

When I read Penny Arcade, I somehow wound up reading Gabe in the voice of Ron Stoppable (Will Friedle) from Kim Possible.

Tycho is Nitz from the unfortunately short-lived MTV animated comedy Undergrads.