Who's tired of the on-screen colors for the movie toys?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Bass X0, Jun 4, 2010.

1. Bass X0

Bass X0 King of Muay Thai

News Credits:
    I am. I refuse to buy a red and blue Optimus Prime, a black Ironhide, a green Ratchet, a yellow Bumblebee etc... if I can help it.

I already have each of them in those colors already, some a few times on different molds. I'm tired of them. Repaint them as themselves or as a different character in a completely different color scheme and now we're talking. I'll even pass on a awesome new mold to wait for the repaint.

2. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

I'm hoping that the new Deluxe Ironhide gets himself a red repaint (seriously, why hasn't this been done yet?) and the new Sideswipe finds himself with a nice dark blue with a red face and white helmet.

Though to be fair, every bot has gotten themselves a pretty decent amount of different colored repaints, so there's plenty of choices if you don't like their original color schemes.

3. Hippie Trooper

Hippie Trooper Costumer

Ebay:
    I agree about Ironhide. I've been waiting since the first movie for a red repaint of him to come out in any form, I cant understand why that hasnt happened.

I passed on the silver ROTF Sideswipe and opted for the red repaint as well, I'm hoping we see a yellow repaint (Sunstreaker) sometime in the future.

Later

4. Pauly T

Pauly T Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I want a movie Ultra Magnus...

5. Sso02V

Sso02V Injector Has a Posse

News Credits:
    I'm good with the characters looking like they did in the movie.

6. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

I'm with Sso02V. I'm happy with the movie toys looking like they did in the movies.

I used to collect the G1 repaints of the 07 Movie toys, but they lost appeal to me and so I ended up getting rid of them.

I fairly rarely buy repaints these days. It just depends on the mold and the paint job.

7. ORIO

ORIO Plant-Based Bot Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah agreed, happy with them as they are. But I generally only buy the onscreen accurate figures anyway

8. wildfly

wildfly Lasers, 8 O'Clock, Day 1.

News Credits:
    I'm guessing you don't like FABs

[​IMG]

9. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Or legends.

10. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    Right on! Optimus Prime should never be... red and blue ..... wait, what?

11. GMfan101

GMfan101 The Smooth Operator

News Credits:
    This...I dunno why you'd want them to no look like they did on screen, I love getting them as close as possible, usually adding my own silver/gold highlights to improve them even more.

If I had the choice over a green Ratchet vs Night Ops Ratchet....Green Ratchet wins. But since he had the deluxe figure come out I didn't need to get the voyager again (which really wasn't a good mold to begin with). With Ironhide I got Recon Ironhide....still mostly black but heavily remolded from the previous voyager. Leader ROTF is leaps and bounds better then Movie 1 Optimus. With Bumblebee, I'm getting battle blades BB, simply because it's the best version of a deluxe Bumblebee to date.

Basically what I've been doing for returning characters in ROTF is if they have an improved mold I'll get that and would prefer them to have the colours as close to their on screen appearance. It's fun comparing them to their movie 1 toys and noticing how much better they've gotten....pretty much all of them....

Oh lord no.....nooooo......

12. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

I'll be honest, if that guy had better arm articulation I would have been all over it.

If they made a silver/purple/black repaint of Voyager Prime, it would have been awesome. Whether or not they named it Motormaster.

It's simple, we can get more characters out of existing molds. I mean, there were 4 different versions of '74 BB, all of them with the same 'screen accurate' color and paint job. But if you take that mold, paint it silver and black, all of a sudden you have a fairly kick ass looking Movie Silverstreak.

Or take Ratchet for example, we have his original green, his shiney green, his yellowish green, his black and green, his deluxe green and his one G1 White repaint. Why not take the voyager mold, paint it red, throw on a new head and BLAMO, Movie Inferno. Which imo, would be awesome seeing as Inferno was originally who Ratchet was going to be. Hell, I passed on Deluxe ratchet since I already have the Voyager...which looks just like him only bigger. But if they repaint Deluxe Ratchet a whole new color, something other then lime green, then I could easily pick him up and use them as two different characters.

Or how about taking one of the new molded BBs and repainting him blue or white or red or something. I'm sure there's lots of sports car bots BB could easily be passed off as, and they wouldn't even have to rename him. Just give him one of those silly prefix names.

And as I mentioned earlier, Red Ironhide? Blue Sideswipe? Blue Skids? How were these not done yet? Simple G1 homages that would work awesomely with these molds and again, allow people to have new characters from existing molds. I mean, Hasbro is always going to repaint their molds...but lately the changes have been ridiculously minor at best. Blue and Grey Ironhide? White and Silver Sideswipe? Lime Yellow Ratchet? Why bother repainting a mold if it's barely going to look any different from the original?

13. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

I'd like to see a G1 colored ROTF Leader Megatron. I think the scheme would work. Same for ROTF Leader Prime and Ironhide.

The G1 styled repaints have proven to work very well in the movie line.

14. GMfan101

GMfan101 The Smooth Operator

News Credits:
    No he wasn't....there was a Topkick version of Ratchet in red and white but it wasn't Inferno. Ratchet was planned to be in the movie from the get go.

Crazy idea...maybe Hasbro with all the data that they have (and that we don't) on sales per figure figured out that a barely repainted character sells more than a G1 inspired repainted character?

With fans....who don't make up the majority of profits for Hasbro

Last edited: Jun 4, 2010
  15. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

Hmm, you're right. Even more reason for a red repaint.

Yea, I doubt that.

Both G1 Deluxe Jazz repaints sold pretty well, despite one being a store exclusive and the other being an old mold in a new line. Starscream ended up with three different G1 repainted versions, despite the fact he was a fairly unpopular mold. And while his G1 red/white/blue colors weren't pretty to look at, the T-cracker and Ramjet versions were apparently pretty popular. Voyager Prime and Ratchet's G1 repaints weren't all that great, but mainly because they ended up looking fairly bland on their highly detailed movie molds. One being almost entirely white while the other was made of a solid red meant most of their detailing was lost in their blinding plastics. The Cliffjumper version of movie BB flew off the shelves compared to most other repaints of the guy which really don't go anywhere. Though to be fair, most BB toys are remolds as well as repaints so there's less reason to change his colors.

There's also that Thrust repaint of Breakaway and the Swerve repaint of Sideswipe that lots of people seemed to really like. Though new heads helped a lot I'd assume, makes it easier for them to be seen as different bots. But if all it takes for a G1 homage to be popular is a headswap, it's even better for fans and even more of a reason for Hasbro to make multiple heads and multiple paint schemes for certain figures.

I think it's pretty clear that G1 Homages do sell in the movie line. The fact that Hasbro is making entirely new molds that are direct and undeniable G1 homages is proof enough of that. Bludgeon, Dirge, Seaspray are all proof enough G1 homages work within the movie-verse. Hell, half the damn RotF scouts are G1 or Go-Bot homages, and as such people will buy them just because. So why they haven't made some of these absolutely no brainer repaints is surprising. Even if they weren't G1 homages, many of these colors would still look fantastic on certain molds (red FAB Ironhide is pretty awesome looking), and they can just throw on prefixes like "city strike" or "Jungle Assault" before the bot's name like they've done so many times before.

I mean really, did "Sidearm" Sideswipe have to be white with red flames? Couldn't he have been blue with red flames and gotten the same effect while at the same time nailing a blatant and obvious G1 homage for those in the know?

Last edited: Jun 4, 2010
  16. jerryitus

jerryitus Transformer vacuum

You beat me to it :cool: 

The first thing I thought of when I heard of the ROTF characters/toys was a yellow repaint of sideswipe (for sunstreaker) and a blue repaint of skids (for.......skids). I decided that i wouldn't buy either in favor of the repaints....which never happened, so now i have both sideswipes anyways (but still no Skids....yehaw, skids and mudflap suck balls!)

17. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm on the fence with this.

I certainly have no interest in the seemingly-endless "slight" repaints, such as "Tuners" and "Cyberfires" and what-have-you.

I also am a sucker for certain kinds of G1 homages.

But on the other hand, I'm POSITIVE that the movie characters sell. If you change the colors, they don't look like the movie characters anymore, then they are some other character. Sidearm Sideswipe is cool because he's a new-mold Sideswipe packing heat, like he does in the movie at one point. (I think the flames are an homage to Hot Rod, and I believe this is because he was in fact going to be called Hot Rod at one point during production...I could take 'em or leave 'em myself.)

I also like the looks of Ironhide and Ratchet better in the movieverse, so G1 repaints of them don't interest me at all.

18. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    As far as repainting Movie Skids into G1 Skids, I feel like that would be an insult to G1 Skids. :) 

19. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    Well you have to look at it from Hasbro's marketing standpoint...Optimus and Bumblebee are the two biggest names from the movie from a kid's standpoint so they're going to squeeze every penny out of those characters they can. So I understand why they'd want every Bumblebee to look the same and every Optimus to look the same, even if it's boring and pointless to us collectors.

But I do completely see where you're coming from. I'm tired of seeing the same paint schemes on the shelf. I'm more likely to buy non-movie characters or cool new paintjobs than the core movie characters anymore. I really couldn't care less about a red version of the Ironhide mold though, I thought G1 paint jobs from the first movie toyline looked pretty bad. Besides, there was a legends and FAB version of Red Ironhide already if I really wanted it.

20. jerryitus

jerryitus Transformer vacuum

Not necessarily, but failing to give him a remolded head with the repaint would definitely = FAIL