Who's this? It's Blipblap!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RandomFerret, Sep 23, 2006.

1. RandomFerret

RandomFerret Fuzzy Forever

News Credits:
    Okay, so my company is shopping around a new children's show, the basic premise of it is using live-action robots to get kids interested in music. And nature.

And we put a short pilot up on Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gY2xhyTCEE

Treehouse TV is interested, and I want to know what you guys think. Is this something you would let your kids watch?

2. The_Bardock

The_Bardock ****** of the Minicons

Did you guys make Teletubbies too?

3. RandomFerret

News Credits:
    Nope, we're just ripping them off.

Is it the bladderphone? I told them that was a bad idea. I said to my boss, I said "Steve, you need to get rid of that thing. It's a total teletubbies ripoff." To be honest, I think the bladderphone is the reason CBC passed on it.

4. mblase

mblase Well-Known Member

I don't think so. I find that time-outs are a much more effective system of punishment.

5. ambushbug74

ambushbug74 Stroke me, Stroke me! TFW2005 Supporter

When my Bladderphone is ringing, that means I have to pee.

6. CheetahDC

CheetahDC Well-Known Member

This...this....is...groovy.

7. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    Ferret, I know very little about how research and studies of kids factor into designing children's television programming, but I will tell you what my initial thought was:

Why is BlipBlap interacting with imaginary, made-up things? In my opinion, if I was sitting down my child to watch a television show like this, I think I'd more be expecting BlipBlap to be going out into the world to search for things, sorta akin to Dora the Explorer (but, again, not entirely ripping them off!)

Say, for example, that BlipBlap met with the village of musical robots and they said they needed a pretty song. Blipblap then goes out into the world and tries to find something that makes a pretty song. Do horses sing a pretty song? No... Do pigs sing a pretty song? No...but, hey, listen! Birds sing a pretty song! ...and, so, Blipblap returns with a songbird on his back, or something along those lines.

With such an emphasis on natural scenery, it would make more sense to me if Blipblap was like a children's television version of a Mars Rover. What is a rock? THAT is a rock! What is that in the babbling brook? FISH are in the babbling brook! ...and etc. It would make more sense to me if BlipBlap was making very clear observations that would teach word and object association.

8. RandomFerret

News Credits:
    Yes, THAT's the kind of thing I'm looking for!

Hey, 'mblase,' see how Ops came up with a suggestion to improve the show? And how he wasn't a total asshole?

9. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    Both comments inappropriate. You ask for opinions you get 'em, whether they're good, bad, indifferent, or just full of shit altogether. At the same point, no need to give a shitty response with no structure to it.

Just chill guys. No warnings. You're both better than that.

10. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

I thimk Blip Blap himself also needs to... well look like something. I mean, I had to try pretty hard to like the little guy, but that's what almost driving in to a river is for.

Most of all I think he needs a face. Something more expressive. Lacking a voice is fine, the narration is nice and constant, but Blip Blap needs some expressions so you can see what he's feeling and relate to it, rather than simply being told.

Plus, marketing is king, remember that if a kids show takes off toys are made, so you gotta think of that factor.

11. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Get rid of the bladderphone - it'll help to appear less of a clone of other shows. Also, bladderphone? That's an odd name. I would also recommend a minor redesign of BlipBlap, perhaps give him less of a chicken head, and take off one of the back jets or make them a bit smaller. To show emotions perhaps parts of his head could light up different colours that are associated with emotions - red for anger / fear, yellow for happiness, blue for intrigue, green for horniness, etc. He is a robot after all. I would also give him an awesome claw / hand thing that comes out of his back or side so he can pick things up if needed.

I also echo Ops thoughts.

12. RandomFerret

News Credits:
    Actually, that Blip blap was just thrown together using crap we had on hand. We just wanted to have something on video to show the networks.

We just did a design charette recently to come up with the final design, which calls for a bigger character with legs instead of wheels, a manipulator, and a bigger, much more expressive head. We're going to go with hand-puppetry for closeups.

Thanks to everybody for the views and comments. I mean it.

13. The_Bardock

The_Bardock ****** of the Minicons

Actually the part that had me asking about teletubbies was the narrator, maybe thats just how all kids shows are though.

14. CheetahDC

CheetahDC Well-Known Member

...what kind of shows do you let your children watch? :sly: