Who's the older sibling?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by MushroomPrime, Nov 26, 2008.

1. tnasoundlug

tnasoundlug Well-Known Member

I like the idea that Transformers had some sort of Familiar Ties (molds... spark separations or whatever).

But I don't care so much fro what twin is older than the other (also it matter little less if you consider that are beings that can live millions of years)

2. Silent_Magnus

Silent_Magnus Taint of Primus

News Credits:
    Have they explained in any continuities exactly why they're brothers in the first place?

3. SMOG

SMOG Vocabchampion ArgueTitan

I know the theories concerning TF "siblings" vary quite a bit anyway, but did they actually clarify at all how Sideswipe and Sunstreaker were related in IDW? I remember through the haze of disappointment that was Spotlight:Sideswipe that it was still pretty damn vague.

I mean, Furman seems to be taking the point of view that TFs don't have "brothers" like humans do, which makes sense. But at the same time, it seems like quite a bold (and arrogant?) move to undo one of the earliest G1 foundations... that TFs can be "brothers" (whatever that means), a la Frenzy/Rumble, Sideswipe/Sunstreaker and Topspin/TwinTwist...

zmog

4. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    IIRC, the old Marvel comics explained the term "brother" as 2 Transformers brought online at the same moment.

5. SMOG

Presumably, not only at the same time, but in the same factory/lab/facility?

And by that logic, within Marvel's own continuity, wouldn't that make all of the Aerialbots, and all of the Constructicons "brothers" as well?

There were a lot of vagaries in Marvel, to be sure... like the implication that there is potentially a duplicate set of Hoist, Smokescreen, Grapple, Tracks and Skids roaming around Cybertron while their cheap KO's help Prime fight the Decepticons on Earth. :) 

zmog

6. Silent_Magnus

Silent_Magnus Taint of Primus

News Credits:
    So in IDW is Sunstreaker Sideswipe's "aniki".

7. Brave Magnus

Brave Magnus Drawings from Argentina! :D

News Credits:
    Sunstreaker is the older brother.

8. SMOG

Yeah, sort of... though it doesn't seem like an amicable bond. Sideswipe seems to positively resent Sunstreaker.

I don't know. I don't like the "brothers in arms" explanation. I think they really should have something else, a special bond.

I also didn't really like Furman's take on Sideswipe either. It felt like he missed the point. Sideswipe isn't an angry brooder with a chip on his shoulder, so much as a cavalier bon-vivant who loves a good scrap, and doesn't mind fighting dirty. If any twin had resentment, I would think it would be Sunstreaker, who seems to take things pretty seriously... as opposed to Sideswipe who doesn't really care what people think of him.

Ah, well... I guess he didn't want to have another character who was too similar to Hot Rod.

zmog

9. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    I always considered Sunstreaker the elder statesman.

10. Xhairs

Xhairs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i am . i have a sis.

11. misternoodle

misternoodle Banned

sunstreaker seems the be the 'older brother' on account of him being the jerk of the two.

12. SMOG

Hey, as an older sibling, I take offense to that! LOL!

Do I detect a younger brother with a chip on his shoulder? :) 

zmog

13. jametron

jametron Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE! Taste Kittens…

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

14. red00wolf

red00wolf Insatiable collector

I have a red sunstreaker that agrees.

15. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

You know you're a Lambo twins nerd when you insist that Spinout wasn't a mistake on Sunstreaker's bio. :D 

Hmm, think I'll have to pick up a spare Universe Sunstreaker or Sideswipe and do some painting.

16. SMOG

Okay, I know about the old bio-swap thing with the twins. It's always been obvious if you read the profiles... but what's the deal with "Spinout"? Where did that name come from?

zmog

17. Prime Noble

Prime Noble Well-Known Member

I always considered them twins, hence the same age. Though Sunstreaker is more mature.

That said, I hate IDW's portrayal of Sunstreaker as a wuss compared to the badass Dreamwave and the Universe comics made him out to be.

But then I hate the way Furman ignores the tech specs for both Sunstreaker and Prowl, making them both whiners when they should actually be 2 of the best warriors in the Autobots.

18. SMOG

Q.F.T.

I've pointed it out before, but isn't it funny how Furman (cluelessly I'm sure), selects the TWO Autobots who would be LEAST vulnerable to injury from Machination human-carried weapons and bombs, and makes THEM the ones who will be taken out of commission like chumps?

Out of the original G1 line-up, he managed to pick the 2 guys known for their impervious body armour. :lol 

But boy... he LOVES Ratchet. :) 

As for Sunstreaker being more mature... I'm not sure. They both seem pretty immature, just that Sunstreaker is more pretentious and image-conscious. I've made the comparison before, but the Twins make a great pair of anime archetypes. Sunstreaker is the cool, effete but psychopathic bishonen, while Sideswipe is the devil-may-care Go Nagai-type character who gets his kicks from a good fight. :) 

zmog

19. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If I had to choose, I would say its Sunstreaker. Reason being all the older twin I know are the "out-spoken" one like Sunstreaker. From the G1 cartoon, Sideswipe appears to be less out-spoken of the twins.