who's the batman wannabee? in KICK-ASS

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by GENOZAUR, Apr 11, 2010.

1. JetRaid

JetRaid Jhet Rheyd

News Credits:
    That was one bad ass movie!

2. Mechabreaker

Mechabreaker Dead horse beater

I just saw "Kick-Ass" last night. I've never read any of the comics, and this movie was so awesome that it makes me wish I had read them, so I am going to make that my mission for the next couple of days. Kick-Ass was great!

3. jdre_124

jdre_124 Super Dick

News Credits:
    Goes off course from the comics a bit but it's pretty damn entertaining. Hit Girl totally stole the show and I'd imagine their going to want to carefully limit her role next movie lest the movie becomes Hit Girl and not Kick-Ass.

4. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Action Master Super Mod

News Credits:
    i saw it last night with the wife and some friends... dug the hell out of it... the beginning of the movie flows very solidly with the comic, which i enjoy, but the end diverted a good deal, which kinda bugged me... i woulda loved to have had Big Daddy end up not
    being a cop and just being an accountant who decided he needed a villain...
    i think that was a pretty important part of the comic... but whatever, the movie still worked well and was totally kickass, pun intended... can't wait to go see it again sometime soon...

please note the spoiler tags, just for twintwist...

5. mineraljane

mineraljane Gravity Hugger

News Credits:
    That's actually a fairly large change and completely alters the dynamic between Hit Girl and Big Daddy while also falling back into the tired themes Kick-Ass was written in opposition to initially. It makes Hit Girl's character less tragic, too. Of course there are going to be changes when moving between different media, but it's disappointing when a change is made simply to make it more palatable to a larger audience.

6. MegatronSupporter

MegatronSupporter Well-Known Member

I read that the director cut 20 minutes from the movie and that he might make an extended cut of the movie on dvd.

7. Mechabreaker

Mechabreaker Dead horse beater

I would buy it. I have the Ultimate Director's cut of Watchmen, which I prefer over the theatrical version. If a Director's cut to Kick-Ass becomes a reality, I will most definitely be line to get my copy when it's released.:D 

8. jdre_124

jdre_124 Super Dick

News Credits:
    Something I've been thinking lately, I loved the humor in the movie but it was a bit out a place in a few scenes with the most glarring part being the scene where
    Big Daddy and Kick-Ass are being tortured before they are executed.

Here they have a really good emotional scene going with the sweeping music, Big Daddy slowly dying as Hit-Girl attempts to save him, frantic action, and what do they do?

They cut to Dave's friends for less than 5 seconds to show him hugging on that one chick. Yeah the guys reactions are kinda realisitic especially for teens I imagine but it just kinda killed the mood. Didn't help that the lonely friend kept looking like he was going to crack up the entire time too.

Oh and now that I think about it, the movie starts off semi-realistic but then devolves into absurdity in the 3rd act but it's completely awesome still.

9. mineraljane

mineraljane Gravity Hugger

News Credits:
    Well, that is exactly the response many had to the comic.

10. Soundwave3k

Soundwave3k TFW2005 Supporter

The movie was awesome - I don't think I laughed this hard in a movie in ages! And given that they weren't mainstream characters it felt a lot more dangerous. You're never quite sure what might happen to the cast.

11. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Action Master Super Mod

News Credits:
    that'd be awesome...

nice, i need to get the ultimate watchmen cut... i haven't even seen the tales of the black freighter yet...

yeah, that kinda bugged me too, cuz his friend was on live TV and getting the shit kicked out of him and probably on his way to a painful death, and he's mostly worried about the girl on his arm... kinda lame... but whatever...

and yeah, i agree the 3rd act diverted into absurdity... the jet pack was kinda lame...

i didn't think the comic went into absurdity, but i do need to reread it again...

12. Weirdwolf

Weirdwolf TFYLP Podcast Founder TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    I could've done without the tween profanity, but otherwise this movie was awesome.

13. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    Awesome movie, though I would have preferred to see more of Kick-Ass. Hitgirl is awesome, but she dominated this movie, and Kick-Ass' scenes slightly won out over hers for me.

14. CripNite

CripNite That Whack Canuck Dude

News Credits:
    Looks more like a weak version of Midnighter than Batman.

15. Cheetatron

Cheetatron Drat, outsmarted by a Lorry, I am disgraced

Loved this movie will definitely get the extended addition on bluray I'm surprised how much of the movie was lifted right out of the comic, congratz to Millar for getting a movie deal before even having his whole arc published. Now is there anyone else out there who thinks hit girl was breaking the 4th wall with her "In about 5 minutes" remark near the end of the movie?
    His friends didn't know that dave was kick-ass there was one instance of lampshade hanging but that's it
    if by lame you mean totally awesome then yeah

16. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    Just read the comic as well, and while those had some better ideas (
    Red Mist was handled better, Kick-Ass' dad was a lot more likeable, and Big Daddy was just an accountant who went psychotic and wanted a villian to fight
    ), the movie really was a much better experience. Can't wait to see it again.

17. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Veteran

I liked the way the movie made the Kick-Ass world a more tidy and concise place. It certainly made for a more cohesive experience and none of that "just because" kinda stuff the comic has going for it.

They both are on equal footing within their own media, imo, just different from eachother enough to make each a delight on first viewing/reading.