Who's side are YOU on?

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by DevilzFan, Dec 4, 2005.

1. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

[​IMG]

Joe Q. on 2006's "Big Event":

Full story here

2. Frequency

Frequency Formerly Berserker Prime

Oh god, that's gotta be the most pretentious description of a comic ever.

.,. and Mark Millar? If it wasn't for Reginald Hudlin, his would have been the worst Spiderman comics I've ever read. They're giving him the big event of the year for 2006?

Edit- Never read clone wars, also I'll cut him some slack since Jailbreak was far, far worse.

3. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Never has so little about the content of a comic event been said in so many words.

I have three predictions:

(1) This story details a full-scale mutant vs human war. Characters, particularly non-mutants with superpowers like Spider-Man or Cap America, will be faced with the decision over which side to support. Evidence? None really, just a feeling. Tensions seem to have been building between mutants and humans (from what I've been hearing about conditions in the Marvel U) and it could be used as an allegory for IRL politics and such.
    (2) This story is going to be Marvel's "Crisis on Infinite Earths", where they finally clean up the continuity in the 616 universe. No evidence to support this prediction, just a hope.
    (3) No matter what else happens, no matter what events unfold...Wolverine will play a major role. Probably Spider-Man too.

4. Frequency

Your first prediction is what I was thinking, though more full scale war than full scale mutant vs. human war.

Your section prediction is actually resolved already/being resolved as we speak, as from what I heard it's been made official that any weird happenings continuity-wise are to be explained as Wanda's doing.

Your third prediction is probably more true than you think. Next to the X-men, House of M his Spiderman the hardest, and from what I understand he's got his fair share of page time in Son of M.

5. Weremole

Weremole Whack-a-mole Avenger

Uber-pretentious description aside this makes me think of a huge public voting or something over what path Marvel as a publisher would take.

"Who's side are YOU on?" sounds like a taunt to get their readers to choose if they like plain superheroes or a bigger base of pure genre peices or slice of life stories or anything.

That's the only thing that I can gather.

6. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Most of these Marvel 'events' tend to be driven by something in the X-titles or something mutant-related, so that's why I went with a mutant-human war specifically.

That's sort of a cop-out and it just sounds like Marvel's continuing to stall on the inevitable reboot they'll need for their messed-up continuity. Still, it doesn't surprise me. Imagine that "Remember, when you see something in Marvel that doesn't make sense...Wanda did it." is going to be a common statement in response to reader questions for awhile. Wonder if they'll use Wanda's manipulations to permanently retcon out the Clone Saga...

Well, it just wouldn't be a Marvel story if it didn't revolve around Wolverine and/or Spider-Man.

7. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

You mean like U-Decide where they pitted Ultimate Adventures vs Captain Marvel vs Marville? And who ever won that BTW?
    -Marville was a huge failure except the EPIC issue and then EPIC bombed.
    - Ult Adventures didn't even come out on time. For a while it was in the running with Spiderman/Black Cat for longest delay.
    - Capt. Marvel got no recognition and topped with an unnecessary relaunch, it ultimately fell.

As for this book, I'm on board for 2 reasons, Millar/McNiven. Met both guys, shot the shit with both. Awesome talent, stand up gentlemen. Certain people, I will try anything they do. These are 2 of those 3.

8. Edge

Edge weapon of destruction

I'd actually like to see a human/mutant war. It's like alot of people on both sides want to kick the crap out of the respective sides but they are just afriad to cross the line.

9. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    My prediction? Whatever this is, it won't top Infinite Crisis.

Here's hoping it's not as bad as the poorly-paced snoozefest that was House of M.

10. Frequency

I'm really hoping both companies begin to die down with this whole "World shattering crisis" thing every year. Most of the continuity issues with Marvel were issues with none of the writers following up on anything from a previous arc, recognizing anything that happened in a previous arc, or even recognizing that other characters/events existed outside of their own comics. House of M/Decimation is in the process of fixing that. It's now safe for Cap to appear in an X-title again, or Cyclops in Avengers, Hulk in Spiderman, etc. Stuff that's happening in X-men now is affecting New Avengers 3 issues down the line. This is what Marvel needed more than the world shattering event it spawned from, and while I really want to see what's going to become of Decimation and 198, which is probably what this is going to be, I really, really hope they calm down with the catastrophic events for a year or two.

11. thefrozenred

thefrozenred 4 8 15 16 23 42

Ebay:
    I'm betting this is the result of the backlash of Wanda setting the world "right" again. Remember the last page of HoM #8?

One side will be saying, "Yes, we want the world BACK the way it was, we want the past year or so UNDONE because it was wrong in principle in the first place, and we want our lives back as they SHOULD be."

The other side will be saying, "Yes, it was a mistake, but we have to deal with it HERE and NOW. We should NOT just undo it, we need to deal with it and grow, and not repeat this mistake ever again."

Avenger vs. Avenger, X-Man vs. X-Man, this fight won't be based on genetics or nationalities, it's going to be based on two sides fighting for what they both very much so believe is right. Hence, "Who's side are YOU on?"

If this becomes mutants vs. humans, well...it'll be disappointing.

12. SubotaiBaghatur

SubotaiBaghatur Borys of Ebe

I really have no issues with a reboot or continuity troubleshooting at this point. I think its too much to ask for to maintain continuity over a 50 year span when the characters really havent aged at all. Its sad to see past stories affected or thrown out, but someday they will need to come to grips with the fact time stands still in comics.

Talking about messing with continuity; personally I think its pretty cool that Garth Ennis decided to keep Frank Castle as a vietnam vet, and he looks old and haggard at this point rather than making him a cop. I would imagine when Ennis quits punisher will be rebooted as a cop or gulf war vet.

13. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

Ben Reilly vs Peter Parker

COME ON BEN! WHOOOOO!

14. Cast

Cast Roll the dice

I personally like the idea of a normal Vs Mutant war, mainly cos if the fans pick the winner the mutants have a good shot at winning. I mainly want to see that for how the hell marvel would handle it, it could be great but only if done just right. I think it might well end up being pick the history you want to keep kinda thing, probably better in the long run but just not as much fun

15. Weremole

Weremole Whack-a-mole Avenger

No idea. Didn't even know they did something like that. Whas just guessing. =P

16. ArmadaJetfire

ArmadaJetfire <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and

Who's side am I on in 2006?

DC. :D 

17. Boardwise

Boardwise is scary - Sig Killer - M Super Mod

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    2006 is my year?

Sweeeeeeeeeeet :D 

18. artiepants

artiepants Just over here punching Unicron.

News Credits:
    WARNING////stream of consciousness speculation follows///

i think it's gonna be bigger than Human -vs- mutant war.
    (especially with only 3-400 mutants left, that would be kind of a short story)
    but it might be a war of some kind.

i'm thinking a larger fracturing of the heroes, i'd imagine the stuff with Storm staying in Africa and hanging with Balck Panther may play to this.

I'm thinking the goverments new Sentinal Squad ONE program is also not going to be popular with the superhuman community.

Why is SHIELD apparently building an Army of Supervillians.(???)

I'd imagine the new "big bads" being introduced in X-Men Deadly Genesis and the post-House of M New Avengers arc will be involved.

It's been stated that it will involve the "super Illuminate' fracturing, and which heroes line up behind each of them.

there seems to be something cooking with Hydra. and the Skrulls.

that's all i got for now...

19. artiepants

artiepants Just over here punching Unicron.

News Credits:
    Somone posted this over at Newsarama, thought it might be of intrest...

20. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    Looks like it's a lot more than just a mutant thing. There are only a few X-Men on that list, and it seems to be focused more on the regular heroes.

Nice to see the FF not getting left out of the next big crossover. They're Marvel's first superhero team and they got completely shafted in House of M. Half the team ended up dead, and one of the two that didn't die got stuck in the crapfest that was HoM Iron Man.