Customs: whos good with leds?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by richxy, May 3, 2011.

1. richxy

richxy Member

on my rotf prime, i would like to fit leds into the headlights and rear tail lights, i want to run a seperate switch aswell, so i have one for the head and one for the headlights

but do i need resistors? what leds do i use, i can also run a 9v square battery for more power if require so to get rid of the double aa ones that are in there

i really wanted to put a switch inside the head of prime but i carnt work out a way on how to get abettery in there aswell as leds and a switch lol

2. hthrun

hthrun Show accuracy's overrated

Ebay:
    I've never done it myself, but there's a tutorial here. You could maybe also contact its author for further help...

3. richxy

richxy Member

thanks, carnt believed i missed that and ive been through most

at least i know what i need now and my batteries will take whats needed

just gona struggle on the roof ones i think

4. Shwiggie

Shwiggie Likeable dryskinned biped

As to the need for resistors...a simple circuit will work without them based on the intrinsic resistance of the elements and wiring (as in the tutorial hthrun just linked to). But the current supply (i.e., batteries) may die much quicker, and the LED might just suddenly burn out. Resistors solve this issue because they literally resist the flow of current, which drive LEDs (as opposed to voltage, which drives incandescents).

There are calculators available online that will figure them for you...here's a great one. The values you need are printed on the packaging containing the LED(s) you want to use...different ones use different values, depending on the color and intensity you want. There are rules of thumb you can follow, but for now, I recommend you stick with the calculator.

Also, you could use a potentiometer (AKA a variable resistor, or rheostat), which lets you set the resistance as opposed to buying resistors of discrete value. This has the advantage of giving you the option of dimming the light levels at the turn of a knob (raising resistance with set voltage = less current = dimmer LEDs). You can put this in series with your LED array to change the values of all of them at once.

Speaking of which, you should wire your array in parallel (LEDs sharing the battery connection), not in series (everything in a line). LEDs cause a voltage drop that will kill the circuit when too many (at low voltages, anything over one or possibly two) are in line together. I recommend you get a breadboard and some solid-core wiring to test your circuit before you do anything to the figure.

5. richxy

richxy Member

ok im off to go get the leds etc, but gona use the calculator, problem is im going by the calculator measurements, as i dont know what leds they will have when i get there, ive decided to change the voltage from double aa to 9v square battery aswell just to give me some more power as there will be alot of leds wired into him

only downside is i got work out different resisotrs for different coloured lights now lol

6. project9

project9 White n' Nerdy

KooF and big hank are both great with LED work. I had asked big hank about some stuff and I think he was going to work on a tutorial at some point, but this was back in December.

7. richxy

richxy Member

well i have all my leds, well most of them some im going to have wait or leave out as they didnt have them in stock so took what i could, they dont seem to do any small micro switches anymore that are either on or off, so had to buy something different, hopefully i can get them to work and ive got a 9v battery connector aswell

the link with the resistor ratings in i used, but they worked it all out for me and they were no where near the same as what the link said though :( 

well hopefully tonight i can start running some cables through prime now, ill get some expoxy resin this week sometime to get the body back together, ive just rumaged through the shed and found some interesting stuff that i want to make a weapon out of, and looking at the new toys for the new film ive noticed a few have something i wanted to do with this one, so ill go ahead and sort it out aswell

ill upload some pics this week at the minute its chaos as im doing it in my lounge and prime is everywhere, but im really looking forward to doing this now just hope my paint job comes out how i want as im still learnning with the airbrush