Who's Better, Hot Rod or Hot Shot?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Lock Cade, Jun 19, 2007.

1. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl

I was just curious... who do you guys think who's better, Hot Rod or Hot Shot?

2. redsquadron

redsquadron Token idiot...

HOT SHOT - I liked the Armada version a lot. He was a bit of a jerk to start with, but learned as the series went on and became a mature soldier by the end (the toy was rubbish though!)

3. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    Are you kidding me? Hot shot was one of the goofiest guys out there. Hot Rod was better, he learned through experience and aside from the movie he was pretty humble.

4. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl

Hmm... I can see where my little discussion is going to lead to... Hot Shot mania.

I find myself liking Hot Shot more than Hot Rod... well, I do like Hot Rod, because of his design, his being voiced by Judd Nelson (albeit only the '86 movie), and he was cool in the movie... but I think Hot Shot has more appeal, so... Hot Shot is better.

5. VAwitch

VAwitch G1 GeekGirl

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I vote for Hot Rod - HS just, I dunno.... was too juvenile. I blame a chunk of that on who the show was aimed at/writing level of A/E/C.

I much prefer Hot Rod - altho more development, either as HR or RP, would have been nice.

The expansion of HR's character/personality in the DW/IDW comics has helped - from what I recall of the Energon comics, HS didn't change much from his show version.

6. Night Flame

Night Flame TFW2005 Supporter

I never remember hearing Hot Rod call the Autobots "men." As in, "The men feel. . ." or "OK men, listen up." Granted, that was a fault with the entirety of Armada. Hot Rod as Rodimus had a bit of gusto even when he doubted himself. Hot Shot as leader was a stuttering fool who didn't seem capable of keeping it together at any given moment.

I'm going with Hot Rod. Hot Shot is just so unbelievably goofy.

7. redsquadron

redsquadron Token idiot...

No.

8. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

There was always something about Armada Hot Shot I kinda liked, just can't say what it is. He was like Cheetor only as a Car. Personnaly I always felt that Hot Shot was just a mix of BumbleBee and Hotrod as he shares both character and design traits from both characters.

9. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl

Hmm... maybe that's why I find myself liking Hot Shot more than I ever did with Hot Rod... and hey, I'm not saying that I hate Hot Rod or anything... he's okay, it's just that I'm starting to like Hot Shot more.

10. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I agree with all the posts with regards to Hot Rod so my choice is him! :D 

11. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hot Shot, but only from Cybertron.

12. Op_Prime

Op_Prime One With The Matrix TFW2005 Supporter

Well, Hot Rod spent little time as himself in the cartoon staying mostly as old Rodimus Prime during season 3, so I won't count his tenure as Autobot leader seing as how different the character was whenever he had the matrix. When Hot Rod was himself he was largely this irresponsible brash upstart who was unafraid of authority but nevertheless was very loyal to the Autobot code and had an untapped potential for better things, if he put his mind to it. This I think made his character fun to watch/read about, seing what brain-dead plan he would come up next to scrap through to save the day, so to speak. Nothing exemplifies this more than his IDW spotlight issue which I feel captures the essence of his character down pat.

Hot Shot on the other hand is like an amalgam of Hot Rod and Bumblebee, resulting in a tamer and more kid-friendly character. Like Hot Rod he can be a bit brash at times, but the Bumblebee strain in him makes him more by-the-book than Hot Rod and quite often he indulges in a little hero-worship, in the end coming off as a kid trying to act like an adult. Sure he matured for a while in Energon, but into a rather bland and boring character. SO to me, Hot Shot is more uninteresting than Hot Rod, so it's Hot Rod for me.

Then again, HOT SHOT LIEKS JaAM!

13. Shipley

Shipley extremely online

News Credits:
    Rod > Shot.

14. unicron's blues

unicron's blues I need to get rich!

Hot Rod FTW.

15. Clutchburn

Clutchburn Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    It seems like every major reboot of the TF franchise has a little yellow guy who is always getting and to trouble and is kind of the underdog with great potential.
    G1 - Bumblebee
    Beast Wars - Cheetor
    Armada - Hotshot
    TF the movie- Back to Bumblebee.

I wonder if it is a marketing thing that little yellow guys appeal to the kiddies?

16. Dinobot Nuva

Dinobot Nuva Johnny 3 Tears Veteran

News Credits:
    Hot Rod got Optimus killed! Even WITH the Matrix he still couldn't go two steps without turning around and self doubting himself.

Hell, Hot Shot had the smarts to know that he wasn't worthy of the Matrix, best damn choice he ever made. Hot Shot showed some maturation, whereas whenever Rodimus got rid of the Matrix it was all like "ALL RIGHT! Hot Rod's back, let's party!" the kid didn't know crap without the Matrix, and with the Matrix he had no confidence! At least Hot Shot's character evolved before the end of the story, instead of going from one extreme to another like Hot Rod/Rodimus.

That being said, these two characters are really low on my list of all time fav's as it is.
    DN

17. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Hotrod. Hanging with Kup and Grimlock can be tough times.
    Plus he gave Galvatron a good fight.

Hotshot was still pretty cool though. Got on mah nerves at first but he grew on me as he matured. Almost wished they took him further. He was my fav character in the PS2 Armada game.

18. T16skyhopp

T16skyhopp Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i should really watch armada and energon... maybe i can find the japanese versions somewhere. I love hot rod, but also throughly enjoyed excellion from galaxy force, though im not sure how similar he was to his english counterpart cybertron hot rod.

19. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot You can, you up. No can, no BB.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Hot Rod !!!!!!!!!!!! No contest pschh

20. Sector Seven

Sector Seven ∞ GΣΣK™

I like 'em both, but I've gotta give a slight edge to Hot Rod, simply because of the company he kept.