who's 2nd in command for the autobots?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by hulk23869, Oct 1, 2011.

1. hulk23869

hulk23869 Well-Known Member

it was jazz until he died, then who? sideswipe?

2. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Optimus->Jazz->Ironhide->Sideswipe seemed to be the chain of command

3. Overlord Balder

Overlord Balder Voices Slugslinger!

First was Jazz, when he perished in battle, Ironhide took his place, when Ironhide ALSO perished in battle [its not exactly the world's safest profession, ya know], we don't know who would take his place.

Reasonably, Ratchet has more capacity to command than any other Autobot in that team [besides Optimus, of course], he should be the one to lead [also, he's one of the oldest members of the team, who's been working with Optimus for a looong time].

But some think that Sideswipe should have been the second in command, why? For no damn reason other than "he's badass", never mind his ACTUAL ability to command or anything, Nope, he has cool swords? Automatic leader.

4. Bountyan

News Credits:
    The fact that he gave several of orders to Autobots multiple times in the film isn't a factor.

Nope, definitely not.

5. hulk23869

hulk23869 Well-Known Member

Well, I also agree that it SHOULD be Ratchet, but in DOTM when everything's going down in Chicago Sideswipe gives Ratchet a command (something to the effect of giving them cover fire from above or something, I don't remember), so that's the only reason I offered him up as a 'current' second in command. I found it a bit frustrating, because Ratchet does have a lot of back story and he's normally 2nd in command (in the toons). That being said, I'm no transformers expert, so I can't really say who 'should' be second in command.

6. seekerblackout

seekerblackout Banned

IDK,Ironhide WAS Sideswipe's mentor....

7. Grand-Convoy

Grand-Convoy God Ginrai

I'm sure Bumblebee would be if he could talk. The Autobots didn't have time to decide, Sideswipe just seemed to have the loudest voice.

8. seekerblackout

seekerblackout Banned

So.....the chain of command relies on how loud your voice is? :crazy:  Bumblebee is too young and immature to be second in command anyway

9. Autobot Stinger

Autobot Stinger Decepticon in Disguise..

Sideswipe obviously became Second-in-Command. The fact that Ironhide was mentor which definitly makes Sideswipe the best candidate. Ratchet is a Medic and will always be a medic, the fact that he ordered some humans to lower a bridge doesn't make him Second-in-Command. He cant hold the title of both Second-in-Command and Medic. And btw, people don't think Sideswipe should be Second-in-Command just because he's badass, it's because he really is the best candidate and he actually was giving out orders to all the Autobots in the Final Battle, a random robot from the pack wouldn't do that you know ?

10. Lazerwave

Lazerwave My Most Prized Treasure

News Credits:
    During ROTF and have way in DOTM it was Ironhide, but in the remainder of DOTM it was Sideswipe.

Even in the ROTF wii Video game Optimus said to Ironhide, "If I fall the Autobots will need your leadership."

11. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

Overlord Balder says a lot of funny things.

12. Chopperface

Chopperface Holtzmanned

News Credits:
    I always thought that Ratchet would be second in command after Ironhide's death... But Sideswipe is the one giving orders in Chicago. Frankly, I don't think Ratchet wants the job of second in command. He not only has to fill Ironhide's shoes, but he has to be the one who leads if Optimus isn't around. Ratchet has always been a medic, and a follower. Like Animated Ratchet said, "I'm a medic, not a field commander!" Ratchet likely feels that he wouldn't be able to fill Ironhide's shoes, and doesn't see himself as a leader due to his age and self-perceived lack of worth. Sideswipe however was Ironhide's student, and proved in Chicago that he can give orders and lead the Autobots.

I still think that even when Sideswipe becomes second in command, Ratchet will still be an advisor to Optimus and a high ranking Autobot in the group. With Ironhide gone, Ratchet will be the one who's known Optimus the longest, and therefore they become closer friends; and Optimus still regards Ratchet as an important Autobot. I think that Ratchet, Sideswipe, and Leadfoot are Optimus' inner circle as it is, so that's not changing anytime soon.

13. Overlord Balder

What you all fail to see is that Ratchet ALSO gave orders to his fellow Autobots in other occasions along the movies [he ordered the retreat in Mission City, and told Sam to fall back in ROTF, and again told the humans to mortar the bridge in DOTM], yet this doesn't make him the automatic second-in-command.

Besides, Sideswipe's orders were preeeety vague "Cover high"?, that's more like an advise than a order, see how funny that is: Sideswipe gives one order, and the reaction is: "HE'S SECOND-IN-COMMAND", Ratchet gives THREE, ON THREE SEPARATE OCCASIONS, and the reaction is: "Meh, HE'S USELESS".

I might be sounding like a douchebag now, is just that this situation pisses me off sometimes.

14. decepticon2020

decepticon2020 Best there is @ what I do

I would say Bumblebee.

Ratchet is not a co-leader, he's a medic.

15. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

Outside of Jazz getting such a designation, and since his subsequent demise in Movie 1, I'd say that the Autobot leadership is carried out more by committee than a single character. ROTF/DOTM Ironhide is an understandable guess, but we also see leadership characteristics from both Ratchet and Sideswipe. We haven't really seen a definitive second-in-command for them. No one was portrayed as officially taking that post. I don't know how it is in the comic adaptations, but I'm basing all of this on the movie trilogy.

16. Overlord Balder

In DOTM there isn't a Second-In-command I think, they were amidst the mother of all battles, this matter will probably only be settled after Chicago.

Heh, I try.

17. Starscreamownz

Starscreamownz Air Commander

News Credits:
    If I may mention. Ratchet killed 4 decepticons in the movie. Sideswipe got none. He couldn't even handle Crankcase.

However I agree with Chopperface. He probably could have but wouldn't have. Then again that part about Leadfoot being in Primes inner circle confuses me. We never had any direct dialogue between Optimus and Leadfoot to suggest they're buddies.

18. Red Goblin

Red Goblin Veteran

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Yeah you are, but you forgot one giant order he gave to others; ''Autobots attack!'' And the last one who gave that order was Ironhide who is second-in-command at the time.

19. Bountyan

News Credits:
    But all those times were in different movies, two of them telling humans and not other Autobots what to do, while there were obvious other second in commands like Jazz?

That doesn't mean much. And Sideswipe gave more than one order dude.

20. Overlord Balder

Nah that was Ratchet, I just re-watched the movie here, I could recognize Robert Foxworth's voice anywhere.

You fail to see my point: By giving orders [even when there is another second-in-command around] he shows he has some leadership skill and brains to take that rank, and regardless of WHO he gave the order to, he gave an order, which means he actually thinks stuff through.

Also, all three orders were much more important and needed much more thought than any order by Sideswipe [for example, if Jazz had retreated, he would still be alive, if Sam hadn't retreated, he would probably be killed in the crossfire, if the military hadn't targetted the Bridge, the Autobots wouldn't have passed, and so forth].