Who Would Like Welker for Soundwave?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Matt Starr, Sep 18, 2008.

1. Matt Starr

Matt Starr Well-Known Member

Hey friends!

EDIT: At first I was asking to see if a petition for Welker as Soundwave would be of interest, and after seeing that such a petition might not really help, I wanted to instead change this thread into: Who here would actually like to have the original voice of Soundwave in ROTF?

Thanks much,
    Matt

2. Cheetatron

Cheetatron Eh

No, I don't want anymore g1 voices

3. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Online petitions are a nice idea, but they achieve nothing alone. The only times they have any kind of sway on anything is when they're backed up by e-mails, phone calls and letters to the intended recipients, and in large enough numbers to make them react.

An online petition is so easy to sign (and usually with no other information required than a name, which may or not be genuine, and a location, ditto), that it's essentially meaningless.
    As an example of how meaningless, when Star Trek: Enterprise was revealed to be up for cancellation, its fans set up an online petition to convince Paramount not to axe it. The number of signatories on the petition was significantly higher than the number of people who actually watched the show. Either a bunch of fans came up with multiple 'signatures' to make up the numbers, or many people signed the petition for the hell of it, despite not actually having any real interest one way or the other. Needless to say, the petition was duly ignored.

If you want to spend your time setting up a petition, go ahead; I might sign it if I have nothing else to do at the time. :p  But don't expect anyone to pay attention to it.

4. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    We've made a big enough fuss in the "Ask Roberto" thread that our concern is definitely known to the writers, and by extension, possibly the director. A petition won't change anything.

5. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    I would start a petition against the petition.

I don't think the G1 voice for soundwave would work in a live action movie. especially in loud action scenes, it would be damn near impossible to understand.

6. vektsilver

vektsilver Transorganic member

I still say parts of this fandom have no imagination. You could totally have the original Sound wave voice and actor and it still seem cool and perfect for the role it only takes a littel direction and effects mixing.

Im sure the same people against it now said the same thing about Peter Cullen being to cartoony and john wayne.

Its not like you would take the straight up sound wave voice and slap it on a film i mean come on you have a huge budget. You can do a million things a million times better.

BTW more bad ass does not equal better some things are not ment to be bad ass and instead are meant to be interesting or differant. Thats like having a tv show where its supposed to portray real life and everyone is a friggin 10 with great sense of style.

7. Thundercrackah

Thundercrackah Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    No I wouldn't sign it.
    I got Cullen as Prime, that's the only G1 voice I wanted.

8. Bottom Out

Bottom Out Well-Known Member

completely untrue, soundwave is not hard to understand at all, besides that you would obviously turn down the background noise if need be...just like they did when prime and megatron where fighting in the first movie...

if soundwave has any other voice besides the sythesized voice from g1 they might as well not make him have any verbal lines, soundwaves voice is just as important/recognizable as optimus primes...maybe even more so...

9. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

On the other hand, it could also be considered that banging on about how "the guy who played him in the original cartoon has to play him again now" may be displaying a certain lack of imagination. Maybe someone else can do a good job too, y'know.

I'm all up for Frank doing the job if it works, but I'm not averse to letting someone else have a crack, either.

10. WWMEGATRON

WWMEGATRON Well-Known Member

I agree !! They don't achieve a thing !!

11. Squints

Squints Well-Known Member

Honestly, if they do a proper job with Soundwave, his voice will be so heavity vocoded, it won't matter anyway. Besides, if Welker isn't Soundwave in the movie, he'll just be Soundwave in the game, that's what happened with Megatron.

12. Mospeada

Mospeada Since '84

News Credits:
    I feel bad that this guy got an overwhelmingly negative reaction to his petition idea...but, as people have said, agree or disagree with this choice for Soundwave, a petition won't do anything. It could have a million signatures on it, but it won't get him cast. A million people could sign a petition saying Megatron should be a Walther P, but he won't be.

13. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    After the first movie I am fully confident that Bay & Co will make the right casting decisions when it comes to the voices. I love Frank but I want the best fit for the character and unfortunatly I just dont think his voice would fit. That being said I hope they at least try him out for Soundwave to see what he can come up with as some variation of his Soundwave could work.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2008
  14. Seth Buzzard

Seth Buzzard R.I.P. Buzzbeak Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Not to sound to much like a wet blanket…. But here I go. These never work.

The message is out there and the production will cast who they cast. Maybe they will toss fan another bone maybe they wont. At the end of the day it's up to them.

15. Moroni Prime

Moroni Prime #TFYLP Podcast

News Credits:
    great suggestion, but again, online petitions don't always work. I just hope they decide to keep the synthesizer sounding voice for him, whomever they cast.

In before lock!

16. ErechOveraker

ErechOveraker I'm with Plowking.

News Credits:
    The Soundwave voice effect can be done without Welker, no reason to have him on board just for nostalgia sakes. Besides, I'd possibly like a newish take on the voice anyways.

17. Matt Starr

Haha, ok guys the online petition idea is out. Let me change the subject a little to this:

Who here would like to have Welker as the voice of Soundwave?

Note: I have asked Buzzbeak to change the topic title so as to not confuse anyone here.

18. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

As I said, I'd like him to have a shot. But I'm certainly not gonna stamp my feet and cry if he doesn't.

19. Incepticon

Incepticon Double Agent

News Credits:
    If I thought a petition would actually make a difference, then yes, I'd sign it in a heartbeat.

Overall, I'm hoping that out of pure principle they give the role to Welker, if for nothing else than to throw the fandom another nostalgic bone. I mean, if people think Soundwave's voice will be SO distorted that you can't even decypher who's behind it, then there's no harm whatsover in just giving it to Welker. Win/Win.

But when it comes to Bay vs. common sense or generally giving a shit, I'm not holding my breath.

20. Matt Starr

Ramrider:
    Yes I agree with you. I do trust them to give him a cool, unique voice, and I agree that can be accomplished without Frank Welker. I loved the voices for Barricade and Bonecrusher, and I had never even heard of those voice actors before.

Inception and Soundwave.ca:

Hey, good to see Soundwave and Welker fans! :) 

Once again to people joining now, this started as a thread for a possible, FRIENDLY petition, but has since changed to if you would like Welker for Soundwave (and I have requested Buzzbeak to change the topic title). And if you have another idea for his voice you are welcome to vocalize it!

All opinions and ideas are welcome in my threads. :)