Who wished 6' Titanium figures were just plastic?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Macross7, Jan 27, 2007.

1. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    While having die cast metal might have been a nice thought, at least to me, having metal turned into a failure as far as the figures go. Except for Thundercracker, every single one I've opened has loose joints. The first two (Prime, Megs) are basicaly rag-dolls. So these just end up sitting there compared to all platic ones that I transform every so often.
    I like the designs and would have loved the figures if they were nice and tight. If they were plastic instead of metal, they would have been just as tight as any other TF and would be much better toys.

Anyone else feel this way.

2. Cobalt Agent

Cobalt Agent My dick kills dinosaurs

I just wish they were plastic so that they'd be cheaper.

3. neospark1

neospark1 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I definately want die-cast. Hasbro has been sooo out of the loop using metal ... it's just taking a while to get back in the groove.

Cheetor. WW Megatron, The Fallen ... yum.

4. Tech Spec

Tech Spec Breeze Loo

News Credits:
    die-cast for me as well

5. fschuler

fschuler Member TFW2005 Supporter

IMO, I feel they should definitely continue to use diecast while improving the joints to cope with the additional weight.

6. MV75

MV75 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Plastic yes, for the following reasons:

1. Avoid droopy syndrome. They can barely hold themselves up.

2. Avoid shitty looking 20 year old played with looks while they're still in the box due to scratches and chips from factory packing.

3. Details would be much better and sharper instead of wavy rounded lines in diecast.

4. Avoid rough looking surfaces due to diecast moulds and thinly applied paint. (Fine pits and marks).

Metal should only be in transformers as support and basic things like wheel hubs to hold rubber tires, and feet. G1 was a good example of diecast and plastic and how it worked. They've gone backwards now that plastic is the supporting role, just doesn't work that good. The latest best diecast/plastic I've seen was my MP magnus. I hope they balance MP megatron out just as well.

7. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    If they were all plastic, they wouldnt be titaniums, and thus the line wouldnt exist, which means we would still be out war within figures and one hell of an awesome ultra magnus on it's way.

8. Tfgraveyard

Tfgraveyard Not a Fan of the Fans

News Credits:
    If they were plastic, i'd buy them. Since they're not, I have no regrets passing them by.

9. Signal Lancer

Signal Lancer Brave Soldier of Justice

News Credits:
    If they weren't die cast they wouldn't exist, but since they are I'm not buying them. So while it's lose-lose for me either way, I'm at least glad that the people that like die cast figures are getting some. If they were done in plastic I know I'd be after the Scourge, Rodimus Prime, G1 Magnus, and a few of the WWI guys though.

10. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    I'm not a big die cast fan, personally. But I still wouldn't trade the metal in Titaniums for plastic. It makes the line more unique and gives a pleasant heft to the figures.

11. Jochimus

Jochimus Well-Known Member

I think they should recast the WW and G1 figures in metallic-colored plastic (the kind with that glimmery stuff in it), only give the WW figures battle-damage paint apps and the G1 figures anime-accurate paint apps.

Surely if Lucasfilm is gonna allow Hasbro to release those goofy Star Wars 2-packs painted up like the old Marvel comics (a blue Vader with red eyes, and a brown Chewie with a yellow face), Hasbro can do this.

12. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Your opinion was noted. Now get lost. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I can take or leave the diecast myself, but I'm not letting the diecast stop me from buying these guys. I know the first two were floppy, but the later figures... starting from about Thundercracker onwards... are excellent figures and hold together very very well. I have no problems with floppyness on Scourge, Optimal Optimus, Rodimus Prime, Soundwave, Starscream or RID Prime... they're all nice and tight and Rodimus & RID Prime both have very excellent levels of articulation and engineering to rival and surpass most deluxes in the mainlines.

The only one's I've had any problems with are Megatron, WW Prime and WW Jetfire. And, to be honest, I've only seen a couple of the early run figures (Megs & Prime) that actually had any paint chipping... Hasbro (or should I say Galoob) seems to be being a lot more careful with the later Titaniums.

Megatron suffers all the way around from horrible engineering and weird joint locations... just bad the way they put him together. There's really no way to fix this guy, but I can surprisingly get him into some cool posess without making him fall apart or wabble... the amount of diecast, if properly distrubuted in the pose, can help stabalize him. To be honest... I don't think making him from plastic would have helped. GI Joe Megatron is just that badly engineered...

WW Prime... he needs better joints, but the overall engineering on him is good so hopefully the joint issues are fixed with WW Magnus. Basically, he could use some ratcheting and friction joints instead of all the ball joints that they used for him. Other than that... there's really nothing wrong with this mold as the engineering is the best we can expect from his WW design at a deluxe size. The only reason I'd like him in a traditional line would be to get his trailer, but I keep hoping that they'll give us a trailer base for him later on or something... doubtful, but I'll just dream.

WW Jetfire... is leaps above the other two, but he still suffers from some poor engineering in certain areas. His transformation of his left hand would be one very good example and the instability of his backpack if not properly aligned would be another. To be honest, they should have made the peg longer. Also, while mine doesn't have this problem, a lot of people seem to have a very flimsy mid section on theirs which makes the joint chosen seem like a bad idea.

After that though... from Thundercracker onwards the toys are excellent. The molds are all very solid and I've even gotten Optimal Optimus to do a hand stand on his own without support...

13. Optimus Scourge

Optimus Scourge Arcee's boy toy Veteran

News Credits:
    I like the idea of die-cast, but these figures mostly suffer from poor design to hold them up. I'm keeping mine sealed now after a lot of disappionting times. :( 

14. CrackerBoy

CrackerBoy SeƱor Member TFW2005 Supporter

I wish that the titanium and the classic figures both had rubber tires.

15. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    Ugh. If they were plastic, they wouldn't bother painting them, thus killing their entire realistic and weathered look. I wouldn't buy bright hollow plastic knockoffs of RID Optimus, Cheetor, Jetfire, Thundercracker, and so on. What would be the point?

16. MagiRanger

MagiRanger Banned

Ebay:
    The die-cast is just a gimmick, make them plastic and put'em in Classics where they belong.

17. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha TFW2005 Supporter

No way! The die-cast is about the only thing they have going for them! And as someone else said, if they were plastic they probably wouldn't be painted as nicely.

Now, let me rephrase my answer this way: yes, I would like them to remove the die-cast metal from the Titaniums..... but only if they was so they could use that metal in Classics, instead! Then I could skip Titanium altogether, and Classics would be that much better!

18. Beastbot X

Beastbot X The Toad Knows.

News Credits:
    You must've gotten bum Titaniums, dude. With the exception of the first wave and Soundwave's legs, all of my other Titanium's joints have been sturdy enough.

19. lordsidious001

lordsidious001 Well-Known Member

i agree completely

20. Chaos Incarnate

Chaos Incarnate Not just a name.

News Credits:
    The Titaniums line was made specifically because fans demanded die cast toys. If you want a plastic toy, get a Classics.