Who were the Throttlebots originally?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by antapp, May 21, 2010.

1. Foster

Foster Haslab Victory Saber Backer #3 Veteran

News Credits:
    :lol 

2. RedWolf

RedWolf Well-Known Member

Highfalutin means adding extra baggage to your argument that you've lost the point you're making.

It's a mistake taught not to make in spontaneous speech, extemporaneous speech, and debating not to make.

Congratulations though you've derailed the thread. Something I know you've enjoyed doing.

3. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

I figured out what you ment.

And I still dont agree.

Citing related info isint always a mistake.

Then you "KNOW" very little about me and my motivations.

And I alone am hardly to blame.

I made 1 statement....which was completely correct.

Those that did not read my claim carefully and still chose to challenge my claim are to blame for any derailing.

4. Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I... will... murder... you... ALL......

5. Foster

Foster Haslab Victory Saber Backer #3 Veteran

News Credits:
    Back on topic of the Throttlebots, or I ban you from the thread. How's that?

6. Computron34

Computron34 Always Tired

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I aim to please.

BOT, I think the Throttlebots were all separate characters, not reformed from someone (with the obvious exception on Goldbug).

It's funny, when I was a kid I never understood why they couldn't combine, because if you have them standing, but put their arms back and the rear portion back over their heads, they look like legs! One of those things that bugged me as a little one.

7. jestermon

jestermon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Bumblebee wa sthe only one of these guys I had, I have thought about getting more, but since they aren't characters I am invested in I have held back.

If they were indeed reincarnations, the urge to get them would have probally been greater.

I've told my gf before if you were a voice actor on Transformers and you saw your character died, it would be presumptuos to think that you won't be back in a few shows.

I'm surprised they didn't do more "reformatting", if just not to keep the kids into buying the "new" version of an old favorite.

8. FreshDebesh

FreshDebesh <b><font color=brickred>oye chak de phatte!</font> Veteran

Hence the "possibly assume" part of my statement.

Last edited: May 26, 2010
  9. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha Well-Known Member

So, in regard to the Throttlebots...

I actually totally get where the thread-starter is coming from. Sure, the Throttlebots are, canonically-speaking, their own individual characters separate from the minibots (well, except Goldbug, of course). But they DO, in some ways, feel like upgraded minibots... they have very similar color schemes and alt modes to the minibots, and similarly cutsified, Choro-Q styling.

As a kid I was struck by the similarities as well, and when the Throttlebots came out I enjoyed getting a set of new figures that seemed like slightly cooler versions of the old minibots I had (of course there are many who would debate the "coolness" of the Throttlebots, but as a kid they were cool.... they had motors, were a little bit bigger than minibots, and Goldbug was all shiny!).

Even if they weren't the same characters, they had the same "feel" as the minibots lineup. I'd say your connections, for the most part, were right.... Chase is roughly analogous to Cliffjumper, Wideload to Huffer, Rollbar to Brawn. I guess Freeway doesn't really fit that pattern, as the other blue Autobot Corvette wasn't a minibot. I would say Searchlight's closest analog would not be Wheeljack, but Tailgate... a little white car with blue highlights.

I may be in the minority, but I love the Throttlebots. Battlechargers, no so much.... they lack the charm and pleasing compactness.

10. FreshDebesh

FreshDebesh <b><font color=brickred>oye chak de phatte!</font> Veteran

So then according to your logic, there is no proof that Brawn died either since it was never mentioned in Dark Awakening?

11. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

The "possibly assume" part of your statement read as if it spoke to the possibility of Wheeljack's remains being on the Mausoleum.

Not the possibility that he never died.

Correct.....and nor did he turn gray.

And I'm not saying that turning gray is proof positive of death.....but every death we can be sure of the character either turned gray or it was confirmed in Dark Awakening.

Keep in mind I'm not claiming Brawn lived either.

I'm just saying that theres no proof positive, from within the narrative, for either case.

But as far as the topic is concerned.....I really dont see any of the Throttalbots as a former Wheeljack.

12. RedWolf

Which in itself a Non Sequitur. Daniel only read part of the mausoleum not all the dead bots in it.

The real reason is that if you've read Hasbro's reasoning for retiring these characters is for the introduction of the new toys.

Then soccer moms cried foul over the on screen deaths disturbing their kids. Hence why Duke in GI Joe who was supposed to kick the bucket was only injured despite a snake stabbing through his heart.

Heck some characters like Mirage died in the storyboards.

13. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

"Non Sequitur".........hardly.

How does the "conclusion", that its possible these characters did not die, not follow from the premise of the fact that we were never told they were dead within the confines of the narrative????

14. RedWolf

The fallacy of your argument is that you jump to a conclusion based on one one episode dialogue and Japanese episodes premise.

Non Sequitur means it does not follow. Just because Daniel didn't read some of the names of those killed in the Movie does not mean they did not die. Just because there are animation errors of characters appearing ,which G1 is filled with, does not mean canonically they are not dead.

Take Wheeljack and Wincharger for example. The reason why Arcee was pausing and lamenting over their husked was because they were killed in combat. Wheeljack did not appear for Season 3 and Windcharger was an animation error.

15. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

Sorry but the error in your argument is that you havent read my post closely.

I made "NO CONCLUSIONS" what so ever.I never said "they did not die"

My post spoke only to the "POSSIBILITY" that they did not die.

And I based that "possibility" on the facts that the characters in question were neither shown to turn gray nor were their deaths confirmedin any episode.

The Japanese info was only cited as a source to create speculation not as evidence.

So before you try to "teach" me the meaning of wordfs you might want to reevaluate your post reading skills.

In your opinion.

Its just as likely she wouyld have acted the same if they were in comas or highly damaged.

16. RedWolf

No they're because that was Hasbro's intention to begin with. No speculation on that.

17. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

Hasbro's intentions are irrelevent.

Writer/Creator intent pretty much always is.

Just look at the entire "chosen one" debacle.

What the writers originally intended didnt hold true with the continuing story.

18. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Personally I've never thought of the Throttlebots as anyone other than who they are as Throttlebots. Apart from Goldbug of course.

19. Prime Noble

Prime Noble Well-Known Member

Given the animation errors such as miscoloured Seekers in the mostly terrible G1 cartoon (sorry, it has to be said), how do we know that wasn't a miscoloured Slicer? Could have been part of the Decepticon invasion force.

Personally, I hate Wheeljack and hope he died. I'm sorry, I just do. The Arcee lamenting angle is not one I've considered but I can see where it comes from. What about IDW's adaption where Beachcomber is lying there as well?

On topic:

It's a nice idea that the Throttelbots were new incarnations of other characters. Not official in the fiction, but I still like the thread, tiresome dead Wheeljack thing notwithstanding.

Heh, I remember wondering if Hot Rod was the future version of Tracks, first time I saw him. Ah kids!

I love the Throttlebots in the comics. Rollbar is a great toy. For someone who can't move his arms and legs (hence I found the term 'upgrade' amusing earlier in the thread), the toy exudes character. I can only imagine, a Cosmos upgrade would be a plate.
    Rollbar's head mold just speaks to me, suggesting an older character like Kup or Ironhide.

If they ever reissue the Throttlebots, they need to put the arms on ball joints then I'd never put Rollbar down.

On topic, Definitely see the Brawn/Rollbar thing. Though personality wise, the know all aspect of Rollbar could reflect Outback and his resentment of authority.

I've long wanted E-Hobby to repaint Tracks as Freeway. Upper body wise, Tracks is an articulated and armed (in all senses) Throttlebot.

Heck, Freeway and Chase could be Tracks and Road Rage.

Since this is unofficial, I'm going to throw in a few odd but hopefully not ridiculous suggestions:

Wideload could be Dion.

Goldbug could be Bugbite, or Wasp(inator) cause we all know Universe hates Waspinator and becoming a Throttlebot is a terrible fate. Universe also seems to hate Gobots!

Rollbar could be earth reformatted Kup.