Who was the TRUE main villain of Animated season three?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Chopperface, May 28, 2010.

?

True Villain of TFA S3?

Poll closed Jun 4, 2010.
  1. Megatron

45 vote(s)
    71.4%
  2. Sentinel Prime

18 vote(s)
    28.6%
  1. Chopperface

Chopperface Holtzmanned

News Credits:
    For pretty much ALL of Transformers history, Megatron/Galvatron, Unicron, The Fallen, whoever, was the big bad of a series/film. The Decepticons and their leaders have always been the main villains. Only when the fiction was told from the Decepticon's POV were Autobots the villains. Even the humans have been villains, but far less than Autobots ever have.

Animated broke the mould - something done rarely in Transformers - and introduced an Autobot who made Optimus Prime and his team's lives living hell.

Sentinel Prime.

He openly acted as an antagonist throughout the series. He took it a step further in the third season, when he dealed illegally with a Decepticon for Decepticon prisoners, attempted to commit murder of two Cybertronians, allowed one of said prisoners to escape with loads of goods and weapons when the prisoner was IN firing range, and deliberately fired upon an Autobot war veteran against the Autobot Council's orders.

While the main plot of the third season was over control of Omega Supreme, Megatron took another leave of abscence from the show... leaving Sentinel to appear far more often then Megatron did so.

I began mulling this over sometime ago... and came to a theory.

Sentinel Prime was the main antagonist of Animated's season three.

Thoughts?

I don't think multiple choice is neccesary.

2. Honorbound

Honorbound The Reclusive Semi-Lurker

It makes sense. Sentinel was definitely the more obvious antagonist (which shows just how Megatron was underused).

3. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    Hm to me he was just an asshole, not a villain. Though I hated him more than Megatron, I vote for Megatron.

4. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha TFW2005 Supporter

Maybe... but in real life, a lot of the time the "villains" of the world are just that: just regular old assholes.

There are not a lot of people in the real world who fit the grandiose cartoon stereotype of evil-relishing super-villain. Sure, there are a handful... your criminal dictators, your sociopaths, etc. But I would posit that much of the evil in the world is carried out, one small piece at a time, by ignorant, greedy, self-centered or simply opportunistic jerks with faulty moral compasses.

Which I think describes Sentinel. :)  So yeah, not sure if I'd say he was the PRIMARY antagonist of the season, but his presence as essentially a "bad" Autobot certainly added a nice, fresh texture (and a shade of grey) to the season. I hope we see more of that in future incarnations of the franchise.

5. RedWolf

RedWolf Well-Known Member

Well to me much like what Bulkhead said to Wasp, he was never good.

Sentinel is the type that is likely to go to the darkside as a backstory of a villain. Sentinel was never responsible and is quick to abandon comrades. Vain and arrogant Sentinel is more in tune with Decepticon ideals than Autobot.

If there was a season 4 I can see Optimus as Ultra Magnus and the Autobot council's new golden boy, being the hero that brought in Megatron, making Sentinel madly jealous of Optimus of taking in his eyes his rightful place and go a heel face turn and join the Decepticons.

6. tf7

tf7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    He's like Norrington in Pirates 1. Not really a villain, just an ass

7. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    In real life there are too a lot people that could easily be labeled "bad" or "evil", I know a lot persons like that. Some of them I would easily call a villain, but an asshole doesn't make you evil or bad and thus no villain. Most persons I know, that are "bad" or "evil" don't even seem to be assholes, they seem to be nice, but they aren't. They're actions tell different stories.

But I think RedWolf has a point, that Sentinel Prime might turn heel and become a Decepticon.

8. Mechafire

Mechafire Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I think I'm gonna go with Megs on this one.

9. Spin-Out

Spin-Out Are you afraid of the dark?

I'm actually leaning towards Sentinel Prime, for all the crap he let happen and/or caused. Guy's a jerk, just like a lot of villains in real life.

10. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Antagonist =/= Villain.

11. Prime's Pappa

Prime's Pappa Animated Forever

I voted Sentinel...they did a great job with his character as far as the writing and the voice acting...I could see him losing the Magnus role and going crazy if they did a season 4 and even turning into Nemesis Prime...making a toy out of his cybertronian mode and repainting as such. Also Megs was not evil in the show to me...He seemed more like an angry individual who felt like he was done wrong by the Autobots...kind of like his back story in origins I think it was called...ATF was the best written and most enjoyable tv series in TF history and really opened up some unexplored territory in the TF universe

12. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:

This exactly. Megatron was the true threat.

13. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

No question, Megatron.

Sentinel Prime was just an Autobot who believed in "By any means necessary." Doesn't make him bad, evil, or even a villain in any way. He did what he did ultimately for the Autobot cause. It was simply his way of doing the right thing. It simply wasn't as goody-goody as Ultra Magnus or Optimus would have went about it.

Also, his superiority complex simply made him an interesting character. Everyone hated him, and that was exactly what the writers aimed for. You all still cared about the character enough to hate him.

14. SoundFire Prime

SoundFire Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Sentinel Prime is a dick, and so are Theodore Galloway from Revenge of the Fallen, Zapp Brannigan from Futurama, and Walter Peck from Ghostbusters, but are they evil? Of course not. Just total jerks + Grade A pinheads.

Megatron on the other hand...well, you know...

15. enkidoamark

enkidoamark Well-Known Member

You know, I never really thought of it this way. I had to got with SP. I felt like he was more of an active threat to the establishment or the plan or what ever than Megs was. I know Megs is a "villain" and SP is just "misguided" or something, but SP was more of a realistic enemy than Megs because in real life, the bad guy almost always thinks he's just doing what he has to to.

16. Brave Magnus

Brave Magnus Hecho en Argentina

News Credits:
    Megatron is the villain. Sentinel? He is just a jerk but he has potential to become villain. I would love to see that.

17. MrSoundwaveGuy

MrSoundwaveGuy I've made a huge mistake

News Credits:
    How come everybody hates Sentinel? I thought he was a hilarious, full of himself, ass. I didn't see him as a villain

18. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Megatron? Is that you!?!?

Megatron for sure, although I thought Starscream would have been an option as well. He did almost as much damage at the end, actually more, then Megatron. He was responsible for crippling megatron to the point Optimus could take him out.

19. Gen. Magnus

Gen. Magnus Everything is Awesome

News Credits:
    I couldn't agree more.

Also, to the OP: it's "dealt", not "dealed".

20. Spin-Out

Spin-Out Are you afraid of the dark?

If he was a funny ass, like Zapp Brannigan, and not this borderline-scoiopath, then yeah.

Also, DJW has stated that Megatron is really doing what he feels is right. That doesn't make Megs any less of a villain, but Sentinel... He's just in it for himself. Technically, despite how evil his ways of going about them are, Megatron has more noble goals than Sentinel. Megs is more of a well-intentioned extremist, since he truly believes what he's doing is right... Too bad it isn't. Sentinel, well, he's just an a-hole with an ego almost as big as his chin. God, I sound like Raksha.