Who wants comic-based toys in Classics 2.0/Universe?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Shin Densetsu, Oct 4, 2007.

1. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Super Mod

News Credits:
    I sure as hell do! I've finished reading both IDW's infiltration and escalation arcs recently, and I like the designs. I think some of the characters if made into new toys, could sell well due to brand recognition. It helps that the majority of the cast in both books comprise of popular characters. Also, since WWI did not fare well in Titanium, perhaps they could fare better designed by the TF team, in plastic, for Classics 2.0/Universe? I'm not talking about using the titanium molds just casting in plastic, I'm talking totally redesigned by the tf design team, not the galoob/swtf/action fleet team. No offense to them. For example this is what I would like to see:

Voyager:
    Stormbringer Prime
    Infiltration Megatron
    F-22 Starscream
    F-22 Thundercracker
    F-22 Skywarp
    WWI Prime
    WWI Megatron

Ultra
    Sixshot
    Broadside

Deluxe
    Nightbeat
    Hardhead
    Kup
    Prowl

2. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

I'd love an updated Ultra Sixshot and pre-earth Infiltration Megatron. The rest would be mold dependent on whether I'd buy em or not really as they're not really super important to me.

3. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Super Mod

News Credits:
    Infiltration Megatron is the best tank based Megatron I have see so far. That would be an awesome toy, and a great follow up to the first Classics Megatron.

4. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    No. No broadside. never again. people bitch about scale too much already.

5. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    No.

Stick to the original G1 line and leave it that.

6. Frognal

Frognal Prodigal Son Returned

Yes, WWI designs need a better home than the Titanium line gave them.

7. Robimus

Robimus Wanna'be Cassettebot

News Credits:
    I'd prefer it to just be G1 stuff as well, but Hasbro has kinda left the door open by calling it "Universe" to slip other stuff in there if they want.

8. Ruination04

Ruination04 8 Years Old Since 1984!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm fine with a boatload of Classics! I can't wait!

9. Noisemaze2006

Noisemaze2006 Banned

I buy my Transformers based on how they look not on the character. So if it looks cool I'm all for it! I didn't like the Titanium line much but I bought about half of them anyway cuz they looked cool. I'm totally against the new animated series cuz they look like crap but there will be a few that I'll like. So I don't really care who they put in the new Universe line as long it's a cool looking toy.

But if I had my choice, we'd get updated Headmasters, especially Brainstorm & Mindwipe.

I really, REALLY want some toys from Hearts Of Steel.

10. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I would definately want some War within figures. Prime with his trailer is a must, the tit one just does not cut it. Look how well classics Jetfire (Stormbringer) did, I think if chosen corectly other figures could do just as well.

11. Rabbit

Rabbit Weary

I'm a huge fan of some of some of the one-off characters from the old Marvel comics in the 80's especially the two part 'Return to Cybertron' storyline with Blaster and the Space Bridge. I'd LOVE to see toy versions of Straxus and Scrounge (yes, I know Scrounge was pretty much an old spare tire but as a disguise I thought it was genius). Straxus had that scary face and huge energon axe and Scrounge was just so different with his triangle head and big red eyes. They have to be my favourite characters never sufficiently developed.

There were a few generic bots in that story that would have made fun toys I think, though I suppose it's highly unlikely we'll ever see anything come of those designs beyond those comics. I'm pretty sure Hasbro doesn't even own the rights to them.

12. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    The more, the marrier in my opinion. Bring on WW and other comic designs. Especially if we somehow get an update of Shockwave :thumb .

13. peteynorth

peteynorth TFW2005 Supporter

I would like to see:

Voyager or Ultra
    IDW Dinobots - Dinosaurs based on current anatomical beliefs of how they looked (with or without 'organic' molded look and colors - though I would prefer organic) with transformations akin to their G1 selves. I do like how Classic deluxe Grimlock has his dino legs flip to the top and bottom of his dino body (thus giving his robot mode a broader chest), so that could be worked in (along with any other necessary changes to make a more modern dino mode and hide the weapons), but otherwise I'd like a transformation more in line with the G1 toy - and for God's sake, have the arms lock into place effectively.

Prime Nova or Nova Prime (whatever) - Preferribly in a more 'Earth-like' truck mode. Very similar to a scaled up G2 Hero Prime with 'horns', better execution and colors, and no gay ass accordian launcher.

Ultra
    IDW Prime - I love the current Classic voyager Prime - it's damn near perfect, but it's about 1:45ish in scale. I'd like one closer to 1:32 so that it looks better with deluxe cars.

Out of the blue wishlist:

Basic cars - ones that are similar in scale to the current Voyager Prime.

Deluxe Punch/Counterpunch - This is strictly speculation on my part, but it's been claimed that Hasbro has said that the Sunstreaker/Sideswipe mold will be pretty much the same but with different heads and chests. Now, the heads are separate molds, but for the different chest idea to work, chests that will fit their G1 looks pretty well, you could use the same mold to achieve this. We've seen pics of the 'Sideswipe' chest (car hood), but the 'Sunstreaker' chest could be achieved by having the car top rotate around (think Cyb Hot Shot without the rear section and the swivel point being higher so that the top-most portion ends at the top of the torso). Then simply rotate the head, waist and forearms around (car doors can have separate swivel akin to Classic Bumblebee's, and the fists could be molded with another 'thumb nub' in a way to make it look right facing either way). With this type of basic mold, all that's required for Punch/Counterpunch would be a new head that utilizes a dual-face feature not unlike 1996 Beast Wars deluxe figures (Tarantulas/Black Arachnia come to mind as something simple that would work effectively).

There's more, but I have to head to a meeting.

14. Alienbot

Alienbot Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'd love to see EJ Su's designs for Bumblebee, Ratchet and Ironhide as toys. Plus, Sixshot and Omega Supreme are due for a revamp.

15. trebleshot

trebleshot www.Toyark.com Veteran

News Credits:
    I wouldn't.

Yeah, some of the designs look pretty good, but there are so many in G1 left to do that I doubt they would ever need to delve into the comic for Classics 2.0. If they must, leave them as 'Con exclusives.

I have no doubt that if this version of the line is as successful as 1.0, then we will inevitably see repaints/remolds from other lines done up as G1 characters, much like we do now with the main lines. Just leave the comic versions out of it, or create a separate line just for them.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2007
  16. Erector

Erector I ruined the Hall of Fame

News Credits:
    A lot of the comic designs are almost the same as G1 (excepting stuff like WWI, SB, HoS etc) so there's really no need. Well, things like Su's Hot Rod are different, but then we've already got a Hot Rod!

Having said that, toys of WWI / HoS etc would be awesome, but I'd suggest a seperate line for them. "Alternate Universe" or something. Then again, that'd probably go tits up like Titanium did!

edit: although I wholeheartedly agree with the idea of an Ultra Sixshot. That would make me happy in the pants!

17. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    I just want that freaking Cosmos.

18. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

Iirc, the only real complaints about scale were from the movie related bots, which as far as I'm concered was fully warrented. Especially in the Decepticon's case where you have one of the largest bots in the movie being barely taller then a deluxe...then have another of the massive bots being an actual, and fairly short, deluxe.

But I don't think anyone complained that Classics Starscream was out of proportion with Classics mirage (for example), despite the fact that mirage should be the size of a minicon by real life comparisons.

That said, give Tidal wave a new paintjob and a remolded head and you have an instant Broadside.

19. Don_East

Don_East Wants TFA Seeker Toys

I'm pretty sure Prowl & Ratchet will look like their IDW coutnerparts when they get released in Universe/Classics 2.0.

20. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Personally, since they want to do all the triple changers in the coming years, I'd rather them make new molds for all of them, including Broadside. I'm also not a fan of the Tidal Wave mold, so, that's one repaint I wouldn't want to see.