Customs: Who to start with for Signal Lancer?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Omnus, Jun 16, 2006.

1. Omnus

Omnus needs more time TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I don't know if this has been asked before, but I didn't find it with a search, so I'll ask it.

Who do people think would be the best figure to start with for a Signal Lancer (from Galaxy Force for those who haven't been paying enough attention to recent series) kitbash?

I have very little experience in kitbashing TFs (as in a couple of repaints and one actual 'bash that needs to re-done anyway), so I'm looking for the opinions of others who do have some experience.

I don't intend to start this off on a mean note, but I don't consider any post that says 'Mudflap, because the animators said they used the same transformation sequence' as something worth being posted in this thread. The transformation sequence doesn't matter, just which fig will take the least modification to get both of Signal Lancer's modes.

Thanks in advance to anyone who helps out.

2. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    like it or not, its mudflap. Signal Lancer is just a modification of Mudflap's character model. ts the same body with a few tiny changes and a pole stuck up his butt. If you want to make a Signal Lancer, get mudflap, take off everything that prevents him from being a kibble-less rectangle in vehicle mode, add the lights, mod the head, and you're pretty much done.

3. Cheebs

Cheebs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Uhhhh.... Yeah. Since he's made from Mudflap, I gotta' say Mudflap whether you want to hear it or not. ;) 

4. Omnus

News Credits:
    Well, I don't mind people saying Mudflap, if they've got some reason other than what I listed above. I just saw that as a particularly useless reason.

I haven't seen a Mudflap toy three-dimensionally, so I don't know its true suitability.

Mudflap does seem to be the big vote so far because of reasons that I didn't think about, but another easy-to-come-by mold came to mind. Onslaught/Mega-Octane/etc. That one seems like a viable possibility (fairly flat and rectangular).

Does anyone else think that is a good possibility, or is Mudflap still better (any other ideas)?

5. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    well you should have NO problems finding a Mudflap to use as he is quite the shelfwarmer nearly everywhere. he's pretty flat all around, especially after you remove the cabs and crane. after that, he's just a rectangle.

6. Omnus

News Credits:
    Are the cabs and crane easy to remove, or would I be sawing, like removing the top of the cab from Onslaught. This is what I'm seeing as the possibility for a big difference right now.

Availability isn't a real question as far as I'm concerned, since the only one besides Mudflap that I can think of is just as easy to find and just as cheap (if not cheaper).

7. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    they're only held on by pins (1 each) just tap em out.

8. Venksta

Venksta Render Project Creations TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    You could also mod Mudflap's crane into the pole for Signal Lancer's alt mode.

9. MacrossFA19

MacrossFA19 That son of a bitch!!!

Ebay:
    Go for the gold and SCRATCHBUILD that S.O.B.

10. Matrix Soul

Matrix Soul Skull 4 reporting in!

News Credits:
    I also had Mudflap in mind, I even went as far as getting an extra one just for the kitbash, but then I started thinking "boy, he'll be one huge traffic light!" So now I'm starting to look towards more of a scratch build, using parts from Scrapmetal

11. Eric

Eric Per sempre marciamo.

News Credits:
    I say Mudflap. There's a ton of those at my TRU. What surprises me is that this cool toy is actually a shelfwarmer. Who knew? :) 

12. Brave Magnus

Brave Magnus Hecho en Argentina

News Credits:
    So Signal Lancer is a Voyager? ^_^.

13. Omnus

News Credits:
    Looks like mine'll be, anyway. My skillz aren't good enough for a scratchbuild job.

I can use the extra poles from the Unicron display stand to make SL's lance/pole. Now I just need to figure out where to get the right size curved plastic lenses for the lights.

EDIT: Yeah, SL had to have made it onto one of the ships. Who else is going to light the way? :thumb 

14. CdnShockwave

CdnShockwave The Prince of Poses TFW2005 Supporter

15. Cheebs

Cheebs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Come to think of it, you could always go the Cybertron Chromia route and just make a traffic light, put a door on the back, open the door, and take out a tiny robot. :D 

16. Bahamut Prime

Bahamut Prime Even Kaiba supports 'em!

Wouldn't it be nice if the Signal Lancer figure would have been released into the Galaxy Force/Cybertron toyline? And interesting on how a crane can be modified into a traffic light....

17. Omnus

News Credits:
    That actually might be a better approach. I keep on looking at the pictures of SL's transformation sequence, so I can get a better look at the various pieces. While they may have started out with Mudflap for the computer model, they modified just about every last inch of him to come up with SL's design. While I haven't gotten one to disassemble, I'm betting even the shoulder pads aren't suitable (based on the fact that they need to move out and down, and the rotation mechanism that's typically used for what I can see of the shoulder rotation from Remy's gallery wouldn't allow it to be done with anything short of major changes).

Looking at those pics in Remy's gallery tells a whole different story of the most probable reason why HasTak didn't try to modify Mudflap into Signal Lancer. The changes that Gonzo did were easy minor changes for them, but requires remolding most everything on the toy and several major body changes. Admittedly, the CGI model would've had to have pretty much no changes to the transformation animation, but the physical model ends up with at least two. HasTak would be making a brand new figure to make Signal Lancer.

Keeping that in mind, while the input from everybody here has been much appreciated, I think I'm going to have to use somebody different for the base body (although Mudflap's shoulder pads look like a useful accessory, guess I'll have to ask about anybody having a junker Demolishor/Mudflap).

18. Zero Prime

Zero Prime Windows user no more

Got one for sell in my thread for $10 if you want it.

19. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Mudflap also has one of the longest weapons in TF history , (the big sword) and you could use it to hang the light down .

You could also use some Machine Robo figs & parts to make one.

20. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

this reminds me that I need to find the rest of the pieces to start trying to put together my own lego one of these...