Who thinks we need another 3D CGI Transformers series???

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Terrorcon0, Oct 30, 2009.

1. Terrorcon0

Terrorcon0 Transformers Rock Star!!!

News Credits:
    I was pondering on how awesome Beast Wars was and how it really changed the way we watched Transformers. I was wanting to get everyones opinion on possibly having another 100% CGI Transformers series. What do you think??? What would you like to see???

2. MrSoundwaveGuy

MrSoundwaveGuy I've made a huge mistake

News Credits:
    As long as it's much better than the CGI in Energon and Cybertron, sure why not

3. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    This

4. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    You can have the best visuals in the world but if the writing sucks then the eye-candy is utterly wasted.

Good story and good CGI then sure, I'm in.

5. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    As long as the quality is on par with Clone Wars.

6. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

I didn't care for Beast Wars/Machines all too much. Actually, I don't care for CGI that tries too much to look real (which is why I like Imagi Studios' work so much).

That said, I loved the animation done for Energon and Cybertron. It's just that the characters and the storylines are crap.

I've said this before, there's 20 years missing between Season 2 and the movie. Give me a show that takes place then with the cel shading of Cybertron. Given how it's written, I'll be happy.

7. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    If it was good CGI, like better than BM level, (which was God damn awesome CG) than yeah, I'd totally be all for it.

As long as it's not part cell-animation.

8. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    No because nowadays everytime they try it looks like crap.

Clone Wars is the ugliest show since Squidbillies

9. jgoss

jgoss transformers fan 4 life

the cgi in energon and cytertron wasn't that bad. that being said maybe have cgi in the next series but i would think that it could be better than energon or cybertron.

10. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I think a CGI series is a distinct possibility given the rumors that the next series will be movie-based or movie-related (or movie-inspired, or movie-something). The CGI would undoubtedly be simplified compared to ILM's movie work, to fit within a TV budget.

The CG animation in Energon and Cybertron could have been pretty good, if not for a few things:
    The models in both series weren't very different from the toys themselves, and often limited in the same way by proportion, articulation, kibble, etc. (especially notable when a character with large, unarticulated feet tries to walk)
    The motion on anything other than an all-out action sequence was 'cheaped out', mostly quickly jumping from pose to pose, with little acting or expression, part for making it easy, part for the nature of 'anime style'. And don't get me started on how bad the anime 'lip flap' technique looks applied to a CGI mouth. :) 

11. Omnus

Omnus needs more time TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    These about sum it up for me.

Excellent visuals with poor stories aren't a whole lot different than poor visuals with poor stories (for me anyway, alot of other people feel differently apparently).

And, yeah, mixing in cell-animation with CGI is just trying to make up for budget constraints. When you're doing something where the focus of the story is something that's CGI, it shouldn't be diluted with cell-animation.

12. Digilaut

Digilaut My name is Drift.

News Credits:
    I wouldn't oppose it if it was good, but I'd rather have a drawn cartoon with a distinctive personal style.

13. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    It should be done as stop-motion using the new figures from the series.

14. herugrim

herugrim Defiler of Energon

Ebay:
    Either way would be fine by me, as long as it didn't look like Animated. I never much liked cartoons that went the heavily stylized and simplified route as a cheap was to allow for more action. There's absolutely no reason that at this point we can't get an American cartoon that looks as good as modern comic books (or at least as good as the ones from the 90's) and still have plenty of good looking action scenes.

We should be able to get the IDW comics for a cartoon by now. They made a lot of money from the sales of the last movie, so there's no reason to hold back. Chances are, though, that they will.

15. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    This is true, to a point.

The reverse is also true. I remember finding the CG shows of the nineties unwatchable because the CG was so bad. It's one reason why I never got into Beast Wars.

It's a complete surprise to me that some people remember these things fondly.

To this day I find CG can have an off-putting coldness unless it's very well done. Even the simplest 2D is usually better at portraying character and communicating.

16. Digilaut

Digilaut My name is Drift.

News Credits:
    I think the biggest problem with 3d is that it takes alot of processing power to really liven up the world. If you look at the first generation 3d cartoons the worlds around the characters are VERY empty..and that's still a problem nowadays, more because of time and budget constrains rather than cpu power.

It's a damn shame, but expected, similar how 2d animation often doesn't feature detailed shading on characters unless it's a big Disney movie or made by them crazy japs. :p 

17. Kaymac

Kaymac I'M REALLY FEELIN' IT!

Hells yeah! Pure CGI, though. Energon and Cybertron used one of my least favourite methods of CGI animation: cel-shading. I want something like Beast Wars or Beast Machines, sure, and with today's processing power, it'll look pretty cool. Transtech might be the way to go, but that is INCREDIBLY wishful thinking. I expect another 2D series, but since the movies use CGI to such good effect, maybe they'll make another entirely CG show. Who knows?

18. Dran0n

Dran0n Junk male

News Credits:
    I'm good thanks.

19. firehawc_69

firehawc_69 cloppers = ignore list

News Credits:
    I agree with this completely. BW looked like nothing more than crappy animatics that are used now to pre-vis movies...actually today's animatics are better quality that anything BW did. They pushed an entire series out in a less than ideal format, and it put a bad taste it a lot of people's mouths.

I wouldn't be opposed to newer CG, if done well this time.