Who Thinks Animated Starscream Should Be Redone As A Leader Figure?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Shin Densetsu, Jan 18, 2010.

1. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Super Mod

News Credits:
    I know chances are slim at best for a redone Starscream from Transformers Animated, in leader scale. Yet I was wondering, would any of you want one?

I recently got a hold of the awesome Allspark Almanac. GREAT book, best reference on Animated so far, and I thoroughly enjoyed both the series, and associated toyline. I had my doubts, but if TF1 taught me anything, it was to reserve judgement until I actually saw the thing, and truth be told, I became a big fan of Animated. Even if you hate the styles and designs of the movie and Animated figures, one thing is for certain, the engineering was just damn impressive.

Yet with molds like Animated Starscream, some of this engineering can compromise certain aspects of the figure. The automorph on my Sunstorm for example, does not work right. It gets stuck most of the time, and I have to manually transform it more often than not. This is not a problem I have with my Starscream and Skywarp.

I don't mind the Animated Starscream mold. I love how it takes influence not only from the Macross 1/55 VF-1 Valkyrie(transformation) by Takatoku(later used for G1 Jetfire), and Bandai DX VF-19 Kai Fire Valkyrie from Macross 7(look at the canopy design, placement of shield/arms/legs in fighter mode, feet, et al).

However, after looking at the design for Starscream in the cartoon, I want a bigger Animated Starscream figure, with an animation accurate fighter mode. I think this can be done if the automorph does not take place on or within the cockpit. Maybe something akin to the way that the nose section transforms on G1 Starscream and MP-03 Masterpiece Starscream(more so the latter).

The fighter mode in the animation looks beast. Also in robot mode, the arms are not as bulky. I for one LOVE big Transformers toys, so a leader class, Animated Starscream is not something I would mind at all. Maybe more stable too, a bit more articulated, more detailed, et al.

Since the series is done, maybe this is just something that will exist in my hopes and dreams. I think it would be cool nonetheless.

2. Digilaut

Digilaut My name is Drift.

News Credits:
    No thanks.

There's some stuff I would have liked to see different with the voyager mold (wings in robot mode, boosters, Starscream's colors), but I have no need for a leader class.

3. Dran0n

Dran0n Junk male

News Credits:
    If they can fix that ASS-TASTIC jet mode, then sure! I'm all for it!

4. Cyber-Kun

Cyber-Kun UNLEASHED!

News Credits:
    I think with some changes the Voyager mold could have looked more screen accurate.
    size-wise, he's already pretty big, almost as big as Leader Megatron, which is the way I like it.

5. ORIO

ORIO Plant-Based Bot Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm a fan of scale. And if they did a leader animated screamer I'd need 4-6 repaints to be happy.

That being said, I'm satisfied with my voyager figure.

I would like a Supreme Omega Supreme first :p 

And some constructicons dammit.

6. Th0r4z1n3

Th0r4z1n3 The F*cking Lizard King! Veteran

News Credits:
  7. Deceptigtar

Deceptigtar Sworn Decepticon Assassin

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    yup the KO version is very nice and I have sold several to members here. even comes with 4 missiles! everything is spot on to the real one, the pastic does feel lighter, but still solid, and the only difference really is how the wings hinge to the figure, no CON symbols, and the 2 pieces that split apart on the back that always seem to fall off the orignal are one piece. And the pieces that pop out of the arm are no longer there. There is also a leader prime sized, but its not that great:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Seawing

Seawing Lurker of the depths Moderator

News Credits:
    I'd rather see a Leader Lug Nut be released first.

9. PoweredConvoy

PoweredConvoy Randy of the Allspark

News Credits:
    I'm not a big fan of the Voyager Starscream mold, but I have every version of it.

With that said, I think it has a lot of things that could be improved on, but they should not make it Leader sized. Perhaps start from scratch and rebuild it at the Voyager level, but definitely not Animated.

Unfortunately, this is all a moot point any way, as they are not likely to make any more Animated figures, especially new molds of existing characters.

Randy

10. Blackout32

Blackout32 Subdivisions

It might look really good. I have always been a fan of larger TF's anyway.

11. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    I'd really rather Hasbro not waste the plastic.

12. MrSoundwaveGuy

MrSoundwaveGuy I've made a huge mistake

News Credits:
    I'd prefer a better jet mode too. I'd also just prefer to have a color accurate version, where the F**K did that blue come from

13. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    If you're a fan/obsessive of scale, the majority of all Decepticons should be leader class if not bigger. I'm not a big fan of the TFA Starscream toy, and imagine a larger toy design could make it better, but I don't need it much at all.

14. caecae22

caecae22 mere human

id rather see a lugnut or a lockdown just cos hes awesome!!!

15. ryan.j

ryan.j Well-Known Member

the KO leader starscream is an ace figure - the colours look a bit muddy, but other than that he's been tempting me for ages. does he still have that mechaliveautomorphwhassisname with the nosecone/arms?

16. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    no.

17. Tiller

Tiller I don't know nothin'

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Leader Lugnut first.

18. Mechafire

Mechafire Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I don't, I think his Voyager figure was fine.

19. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    I think most people are missing the point that the OP isn't talking size, he's talking design, with the idea that a Leader class figure would open the door to a second pass with a more accurate alt mode.

In answer to the question, no. I don't want, nor would I purchase a leader class Starscream. Partly because I lack any real complaints about the Seeker mold (though like you, the automorph is off on Sunstorm), but also because the Decepticons (except Soundwave) are in scale with each other. As mentioned, I also wouldn't want to have a large Starscream with a smaller Sunstorm, Skywarp, and eventually Thundercracker. Lastly, the interviews from the engineers make it clear that at certain size classes, there has to be certain features and other considerations (not just electronics, but they have to be able to have the "Try Me" feature displayed in package, etc. The result would in all likelyhood be an even more compromised figure then the original Starscream.

This isn't the most helpful suggestion, but try (if you haven't) the Activator Starscream. Much more accurate and streamlined along with the "proper" guns and a wider range of posability in a way.

Additionally if there was a surprise large scale Animated figure I'd rather it go to Lugnut or Omega Supreme. While I'll take OS as anything from a Deluxe on up (since let's face it, he'll never be in the right scale anyway), Lugnut needs to be Supreme sized.

20. SimonMK

SimonMK Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Starscream is fine as a Voyager, even if I hate the automorph vecause its too fragile.

Lugnut and Blackout has more priority when its come to Leader Class.