Who says Classics Soundwave can't be a tapedeck?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Insane Galvatron, May 20, 2006.

1. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    We all know that because it's outdated technology, it most likely wont' happen. But my 9 year old daughter ( who is watching G1 toons with me ) just asked me for a Soundwave with some tapes for her birthday.

Outdated or not, the concept is still cool. Proof that kids would buy them, sitting on my couch. I hope Classics Soundwave is a tape deck so I can buy him for my daughter, since the reissue is so expensive.

Don, you've seen the design ( or drawn them, or come up with them. I'm not sure of your role. ), is Soundwave a tapedeck?

2. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    Your child doesn't necessarily count the demographic they're going for. It's not "offspring of current collectors who watch Transformers regularly", it's the random kid walking through the toy aisle that may or may not have heard of Transformers.

And ultimately, they will be the driving force in sales.

3. Shaun_C

Shaun_C The REAL One True fan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

How is your daughter asking for a Soundwave w/some tapes proof that kids would buy them?

It'll take more then 1 kid asking to convince me of that.

Besides since all the alt modes are updated anyway. How exactly do you update a tape deck?An updated tape deck is more or less a boombox which is what Blaster was.

I can't picture Soundwave's original alt mode being updated.

4. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    I think it's a safe bet that whatever Soundwave is, it'll be something capable of storing and ejecting his minions. So, like with the movie, I'm betting on him being a toaster.

5. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Arise Rodimus Prime

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    :lol  :lol  :lol 

6. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Arise Rodimus Prime

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    seriously though you know what I think would work is maybe one of those cd players that looks like a tape deck. But you put a CD in it. I have seen them as children's toys also they come with a little microhpone and kids can record themselves, kind of like a little kareokee machine. For really younger kids they have the ones with the green play button and the red stop and yellow buttons. Don't know what they are called but that might be a good idea for soundwave.

7. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    What people don't realize is, Soundwave is a microcassette player. Microcassettes do still exist, mostly for voice recorders and video cameras. There's no reason he couldn't be one of those, or a minidisc player.

8. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    I'm betting on him being a cardboard box. His minions would be little packing peanuts that turn into animals and robots. Soundwave would be cursed with no transformation other than turning him on his side, exposing an image of G1 soundwave.

9. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Autobot HQ, 2200 hours. SUNSTREAKER and SIDESWIPE are on patrol.
    Sunstreaker: Be careful, the Decepticons have been getting a lot of secret information lately.
    SIDESWIPE spots SOUNDWAVE, who is in "box" mode
    Sideswipe: It's just a box...

Honestly, though, I think it'll be some sort of modernised tapedeck. The rest of what we've seen of the Classics implies they're updated versions of their G1 forms. Prime we've seen along with Astrotrain, and then there's Megatron and Starscream, all of whom are also very close to the originals. It'd make no sense to go a different direction with Soundwave. At the worst, he'll be like Megatron and Prime, different yet still recognisably Soundwave.

10. butz

butz slippery when wet

So long as his alt mode allows him to look a lot like Soundwave in bot mode, and he has some minions I'll be happy. Actually, so long as its closer than the Cybertron Soundwave figure I'll be happy- otherwise I'll just buy another Cyb. Soundwave and use that as my Classics Soundwave.

11. Nerd Bomber

Nerd Bomber Consulting your needs

I see backup tapes for servers all of the time in the office but it'd be an odd alt mode for him to have to utilize that.

12. butz

butz slippery when wet

We have those where I work- DLT tapes or something like that. They're like hyper-condensed cassette tapes that claim to have like 40-80gigs of memory. What sucks is that I have to change the tape each day, between 10am. and 2pm., and I tend to forget. A lot. :redface2: 

13. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Wish they'd make him a boombox with a double tapedeck (side by side) and a cd player for some discbots.
    Or allow the cd player to play dvd's so we can use him to watch our TF dvd's

Oh yeah, and make him Fort Max sized hehe
    So we can customize or mod the speakers in it.

14. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    dude. :lol 

I bet if he isnt a CD player, that he'll be like a jambox, sort-of like how Blaster was originally, but much more sinister looking in 'bot mode.

15. Severus

Severus Curmudgeon TFW2005 Supporter

I'd make him a camcorder. Most of them still use cassettes for recording and it fits the spy role for him.

16. SydneyY

SydneyY @syd_tfw Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Make it 2 because I got my son TFC Soundblaster (which was the easiest for me to get) after he fell in love with Soundwave ;) 
    And I am not a G1 fan myself.

This being said, a tape deck may not be very appealing.
    But you'll never know, if they deliver a kickass S'Wave in the movie, kids will want the toy even if his alt mode is a toaster.
    Don't know how a toaster can be a kickass, though :redface2: 

17. DDM

DDM Super Steve

How ironic, just today I was scouring the net for a cheapish tapedeck-former. (Blast,Soundwave etc..)

I think it would be cool for soundwave to be a discbot/tapebot player, so he could hold both at once maybe.

18. Pimpimus Prime

Pimpimus Prime (┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐) TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    They should just make him an MP3 player and have his minions be memory cards. I'm not talking about the uber small SD memory, but something bulkier like compact flash. It could even be a little bigger than normal.

MP3 technology and flash memory is so cheap that you could actually have him play music and store it on the minions.

19. DDM

DDM Super Steve

That would be cool, but we all know it would unfortunately lead to them jacking up the price tenfold.

Also, I doubt they will release more than 1 minion for him (I wish the released more for Cybertron SW), so I doubt they'll create a whole new type.

20. Dragstrip85

Dragstrip85 Well-Known Member

How about a mini-disc? :)