Who owns the AFA 100 G1 Wheeljack?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by starscream.pt, Dec 20, 2008.

1. starscream.pt

starscream.pt Well-Known Member

At the old Action Figure Authority Home Page in the gallery section there used to be a G1 wheeljack misb rated AFA 100, i was always curious to see details of this pic and how it looks like.

On the website you could only see a little thumb of it, now i would like to see a full size picture(s) of this marvelous piece!

Who ever owns it, please come foward with some pics of that piece of gold please!!

2. Soundwave84

Soundwave84 Banned

News Credits:
    I would love to see that

3. starscream.pt

4. mrclean08

mrclean08 G1 FOR LIFE

To get an AFA 100 score, wouldn't the item have to basically be uncirculated and factory fresh? It must have had to look like it never even went to retail then.

I've sent in items that almost looked case fresh and they still never garner higher than an AFA 85. Must be some insider tipping to get that 100 score perhaps. Probably a case of , "Hi buddy, here's an extra $1000. See what you can do with the grading on this one."

5. starscream.pt

i know what you mean, this one had to be uncirculated, we've all seen it happen (i hope) these g1's came in factory boxes of 25 each

http://www.toygrader.com/images/featuredtoys/toyoftheweek122304.jpg

still the idea that there's one flawless is hard to grasp, there must be something to point the finger at, a little scratch on the window, a tiny wear on the corner, i dunno i just want to see it in high definition:

[​IMG]

6. Malach Ra

Malach Ra TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    You would have to probably give a hefty donation to AFA to get a 100, or hire the graders a top notch hooker.

7. jonnyshaft

jonnyshaft Well-Known Member

digging up an old thread but I agree with the original post, Id love to see pictures of this thing. How something could get a 100 is beyond me. Most figure subgrades are 90 on vintage tfs.

8. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    Personally I think AFA grading is a sham, sorry these aren't diamonds.

A box that got a 100 would have had to be personally hand delivered because the shipping would have dropped it in score.

9. seali_me

seali_me Buhawi Gabay-Tala

They're grading cards and boxes...

That alone should say everything.

10. crewboy7

crewboy7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I agree completely. AFA is a scam. The grading is arbitrary, capricious, and the fact that they won't release an "official" grading scale is proof that there isn't one. These guys make BUTTLOADS of money for what is essentially just putting toys in plastic cases and slapping a semi-random number on it. (Usually within the range of 75-90) This "100" rating is an obvious case of a buddy-buddy system or flat out bribery. I'd honestly be surprised if the FTC doesn't catch wind of these crooks sooner or later...

11. firehawc_69

firehawc_69 cloppers = ignore list

News Credits:
    From what I've seen, a 100 can only come from a hand-picked toy pulled from a sealed case. AFA has to be the one to open the case (hence uncirculated), and pull a "perfect" specimen.

I agree that this practice is pretty much a scam, but some swear by it. And regardless of your view, you haveto admit that it'd be pretty sweet to own some true "mint" G1s.

12. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout SANTARN IS COMING AGAIN TFW2005 Supporter

I personally would just like to get the cases the AFA use to keep some old MISB G1's in. I could give less of a shit about some crappy number they assign to a toy (especially after they started grading loose figures that had to be complete and minty to begin with), but the protective casing is, in my opinion, actually doing something towards really improving the preservation of the item.

13. Snake_eyes1975

Snake_eyes1975 Peace through Tyranny!!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    QFT

AFA means nothing to me anymore

14. RoboticPlanet

RoboticPlanet Exclusively Exclusive

News Credits:
    When was the Wheeljack graded? Early on, when AFA only graded using a single number they graded a bit higher on average. I remember seeing pictures of 100's floating around at one point. Now, changing their overall grading criteria, it's rare to see anything break an 85.

15. jonnyshaft

jonnyshaft Well-Known Member

Once again, the mere mention of the word AFA and people come out of the woodwork to shit on it for absolutely no reason.

All the original post asked and I reiterated was if there is pictures and what it must have looked like to get that grade.

Why is it so important for people who dislike AFA to tell everyone all of the time? And thats not a question written to inspire vitriol, its a serious inquiry.

Theres so many things way more important in life than toys that people dont like yet say nothing about.

Ask if anyone saw a picture of a high grade AFA item and people take that as a cue to denigrade them as if AFA is responsible for murdering their families.

I am not a fan of classics, hankies, movie figures, etc but their mere existence doesnt inspire me to take time out of my day to tell everybody...not even tell everybody, to actually sit down in front of a computer and type it out. I only mention it now as a comparitive.

16. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I've never understood this myself, and for those who are so quick to jump on board of the H8r Express, I'd like to know, too. There are quite a few things I'm not a fan of, but I don't rant about it every time someone posts.

17. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Pfft, like I'd tell you.

18. bny888

bny888 バグバイト

News Credits:
    I don't understand the hate and denigration either.

19. wildfly

wildfly Lasers, 8 O'Clock, Day 1.

News Credits:
    It's not just AFA, anonymity, ease of access, means people think they have license to deride the preferences of others when it's something that falls short of what they think Transformers is about.

Although the high amounts AFA items can command makes them an easy target at times.

20. bny888

bny888 バグバイト

News Credits:
    MISB collectors get a lot of flak too.