Who owns TF Animated Show Rights?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Sideswipe1954, Dec 24, 2010.

1. Sideswipe1954

Sideswipe1954 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I ask because I finally caught that HubWorld special highlighting the return of Transformers and they certainly used a lot of clips from TF: Animated. Is it Hasbro or Cartoon Network? If Hasbro, can they air it on the Hub or release new DVDs?

2. Blitz.

Blitz. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    firstly I think we need to state that every show that's commissioned has a different contract so theirs no real way of knowing what the legal standing is unless we ask some one who has read it.

Saying that its safe to assume Hasbro own all the IP rights so its more then likely they own DVD rights and the rights to screen it on other channels as CN were only contracted to produce and screen the show and don't own any of the IP rights. (that's not to say they didn't have a say in what made it into the show)

3. Rotorstorm

Rotorstorm Wreck n’ rule

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    whilst CN made and aired the cartoon, Hasbro own the IP. (it is notable Nicktoons aired Animated here in the UK rather than Cartoon network, which surprised me tbh. in other words. Hasbro own it all, just wish they'd bring out the hub in the uk and air Beast Wars in HD.

4. Sentinel

Sentinel TF Museum Curator Moderator

News Credits:
    I just wish they would release the 3rd season of Animated on DVD already. What a crock to have the first two, but not the last. I would rather enjoy seeing those episodes again.

5. G1_Cindersaur

G1_Cindersaur Banned

News Credits:
    maybe the Hub will show beast wars and the other series down the road....beast wars on the air for the 15th anniversary would be cool.

6. Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus Old School Snarkster

News Credits:
    But because Cartoon Network produced the series, they DO own some rights to it. Similar to how Paramount made the live action films and have rights to the designs and marketing of those films, Hasbro owns the IP of the brand as a whole.

Because of the rights issue is so complicated, that is the big reason the third season hasn't come to DVD. In North America, at least, Cartoon Network does have a say in how that version of the franchise is used.

Outside of Robots in Disguise and Animated, all other Transformers cartoons and comics are COMPLETELY owned by Hasbro, so from a rights issue, there isn't a reason for the Hub NOT to show those other series (and I think it would be foolish to ignore the wealth of shows Hasbro has access to from their big Sunbow purchase some years ago, which included things like Jem, Visionaries, GI Joe Extreme and My Little Pony)

7. Prime's Pappa

Prime's Pappa Animated Forever

^^^^this...IMO it is the single greatest season in TF history