Who likes vince dicolas score?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Soundwavedredd2, Jun 17, 2012.

1. Soundwavedredd2

Soundwavedredd2 Banned

2. Cmdr Prime

Cmdr Prime co-Commander of Autobots TFW2005 Supporter

I have a few of them in my audio collection I don't mind his music I have already listened to Legacy and the The Unicron Medley

3. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    Always loved that Unicron score. If anything, it's one of the things I associate most with transformers & vice verca (music wise anyway), so I should probably look into his work some more.

4. Girl Pants

Girl Pants aka brickonator

News Credits:
    Loved his work in TF:TM, but that's all I know. Unicron's theme is my childhood definition of ominous impending doom and Death of Optimus Prime will always make me feel sad.

I'd love for him to return to TF somehow. I don't think it would suit Prime or the current movies, but maybe in the next cartoon, new game, or a rebooted movie.

5. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I just gave the full score a re-listen a couple days ago. So good.

6. Backpack

Backpack G1 forever.

I don't like it. I love it. :D 

7. TylerMirage

TylerMirage I vawnt my berdt.

News Credits:
    I've really only heard his work for TT:TM, but I can say wholeheartedly that HECK YES I like his score! :D 

8. Seeker

Seeker Time Lord

Ebay:
    I have the 86 movies soundtrack on my harddrive and I love it.

9. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    The score is actually very good, and if anyone is interested, I believe Vinca DiCola worked on Stayin' Alive and Rocky IV.

10. twiztidRodimus

twiztidRodimus Shattered Glass Autobot

News Credits:
    his music is the ONLY music I want in ANY form of tf. period (besides stan bush)

11. Mewtwo

Mewtwo Transform & Bamboo out

I like it. Awesome soundtracks. :) 

12. Acidophilus

Acidophilus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I like it.

13. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Vince is a great composer. I wish he would do more scores for more movies.

14. Ryan F

Ryan F Transform and Roll Out! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I love DiCola's work, generally. What's great about the TF soundtrack is that it complements the film wonderfully (bombastic, colourful), but also works well in isolation, listened to as a piece of music outside the context of the film.

Even some of the best soundtracks (I love Peter Gabriel's score for 'Last Temptation of Christ', for example) aren't that great when listened to away from the film, even if they complement the movie perfectly. But DiCola's work, as I say, is a great listen on CD.

Here's a rundown of what's other albums Vince has put out (in addition to the TF score)

'Artistic Transformations' - beautful solo piano renditions of the Transformers Movie score. If you love that soundtrack, and wouldn't mind hearing a more subtle take on some of those wonderful melodies, this CD is for you.

'Falling off a Clef' - a general compilation of various random bits 'n' bobs that Vince has done over the years. The quality is variable as you'd expect from a release of this nature, and because it's a bunch of random stuff, it's not a great cohesive listen. But worth checking out, for the completist.

'The Protoform Sessions' - Again Transformers related, this time in the form of demos, outtakes and alternative versions not used in the film itself. It's just a bunch more stuff in the same style as his movie music - it's kinda funny hearing the title theme and even 'Dare' sung by other artists.

'Rocky IV' - another classic score (his only other major soundtrack). Why Vince wasn't used on more films remains a mystery to this day. Cuts such as 'Training Montage' and 'War' have gone down in movie history. If you want some non-TF-related stuff by Vince, this is the CD for you.

'Thread' - self-titled album by Vince's band, called Thread (obviously)! The songs are just standard pop/rock fare pretty much, although obviously underpinned by Vince's excellent synths. The vocalist on these songs is bloody brilliant, though.

'Life in Paradise' - another album by one of Vince's bands. This time the band are called Storming Heaven, and they pretty much rock. Outside of the movie Soundtrack and the Rocky score, this is my favourite Vince album. It's kinda late-80s/early 90s melodic rock (so right up my alley), think Foreigner, late-period Kansas, REO Speedwagon, that type of thing.

'Found Objects' by yet another of Vince's bands, this one calling themselves DPI. It consists of three long-form instrumentals and is quite proggy. It really needs a few listens to fully appreciate, and even now I'm not sure if it's a work of genius, or just a bunch of self-indulgent tripe!!! An instrumental cross between 90s-era Mike Oldfield, the Ozric Tentacles and Yes, is how I'd best describe it.

Oh, and there was also a free download track from his website, called 'Bound and Gagged', which was a bit of a let-down. Not sure if it's still on there. His website is great, and last time I checked had links to buy all the albums listed above.

And if you want more TF-Movie related music, be sure to check out the original John Farnham version of 'Nothing's Gonna Stand in My Way' (yes, that dude who did the song 'You're the Voice'), which appears on the soundtrack of the (excellent) movie Savage Streets, and also the original version of 'Hunger' (performed originally by King Kobra), from their classic album 'Ready to Strike'.

I'm sure there's more, don't lynch me if I've missed anything!

15. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    starfish, thanks so much for your post :thumb 

I am quite the fan of Mr. DiCola and his work.

16. luap184

luap184 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Heck yeah! Who doesn't like Dicola's work!? :D 

17. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    I love and unless the score/soundtrack to the bay trilogy I could listen to it all day.

18. Optimus1138

Optimus1138 Minecraft Addict

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    His music was great, and perfect for the animated movie. I wouldn't mind seeing him come back to score an animated series, although his style wouldn't work so well with live action.

19. DrGrim

DrGrim OBEY

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Vince DiCola's score for the animated movie is my favorite score from any movie ever. It's just epic stuff.

20. Brave Convoy

Brave Convoy Banned

Love it. Doesn't work so well for Rocky 4, but I thought he was a perfect fit for TF. It was like the music from seasons 1 and 2 evolved.